ASUS G712 gaming notebook overheating
Ok I finally bought a new notebook, ASUS RoG G712-LW (i7-10750, RTX-2070 Max-Q) but it gets really hot, monitor software shows 89-95.C (192-203.F) when running Folding At Home.

A notebook is not the best choice for intensive computing and I've seen some complaints about ASUS's notebooks. Also, their control app ("Armoury Crate") is almost useless for it works with factory presets the user can't change - The "quiet mode" is good to it's name but won't prevent heating, while the turbo mode is virtually hot enough to make coffee and noisy enough to wake up the neighbors.

I'm definitely going for a mini-PC/NAS on the next couple months for my 7/24h computing, but any hints on how to avoid heat on my gamming/browsing rig? It's winter and room temp is comfortable at 12.C (53.F).
Laptops and SFF desktops really aren't designed for continuous operation at 100%

They do make laptop coolers that might knock a few degrees off of that, and at the least keep you from melting your lap, but there isn't a whole lot you can do simply because airflow within the chassis is restricted.
Laptops are pretty useless when it comes to heat.  The exact same thing happened to this guy I know he bought one on ebay.  Spent a fortune, found out how hot it was and then probably wondered why the person was selling on ebay in the first place.  You can get those cooling beds or whatever they are called that have fans underneath but they are pretty useless they don't work it's a waste of money.

I used to work on laptops a few years back, to be honest now I'm glad I don't anymore.  What with such annoying problems and trying to sort them out taking the whole thing to bits and just hoping when you've fixed the problem getting it back working again in a reverse to what you did dismantling the thing.  I would take a tower PC any day, Laptops are just not really for me and this heat issue really does put people off especially myself.

Just wait until the mid summer and see how you can probably cook your breakfast on it, eggs and bacon anyone?
(Jan 19, 2021, 13:58 pm)RodneyYouPlonker Wrote: Just wait until the mid summer and see how you can probably cook your breakfast on it, eggs and bacon anyone?

I saw someone bake a cookie on a laptop power brick.

The new M1 macbooks stay cool, but that would be silly unless you really need portable processing.
(Jan 19, 2021, 13:24 pm)Moe Wrote: Laptops and SFF desktops really aren't designed for continuous operation at 100%

I see. The lappy is just for gamming and browsing, although I can run long hours on the days off work. I mean to buy a box (SFF) to run the continuous tasks, not exactly tiny but maybe the A300/A310 models?

I don't need 100% - Will gladly settle for 50% if there's any way to throttle down to safe levels, a compromise is better than a toasted month's pay. But when summer comes, maybe I should consider the clutter and noise of a mid-sized box or even a full tower like Corsair Air ? If so, an open PC hack would be better, simpler and cheaper?

Just need to run a torrent client and FaH, maybe a media share to my TV, mobile and blutooth headphones on the other room, it can be Linux. I remember you suggested UnRaid-OS, but that won't run clients, I guess.

(Jan 19, 2021, 13:58 pm)RodneyYouPlonker Wrote: ... bacon anyone?

Uh... No!
Laptops and small cases are a cooling compromise. They work great for low to medium workflows with short high CPU moments. You can dial back FaH CPU usage to a low level, but it'll still probably be enough of a load to keep things warm.

You can make a tower quiet very easily. Just pick the right PSU, fan, and CPU cooler brands. Even a mini-ITX will have sufficient air flow to keep an i9 cool.

Unraid is a great OS. But not for your main desktop.
I'll look for mini-ITX barebone and parts then. Thanks guys!
I was using mini-ITX purely as an example. Unless you really want that small size, micro-ATX will be less expensive and not that much bigger.
(Jan 19, 2021, 20:55 pm)Moe Wrote: micro-ATX will be less expensive and not that much bigger.

Can't find anything real cheap around here (dang first world). Even third-hand, old 4th gen Intel. Instead of a bulky, noisy tower (had one recently and disliked it) I rather go for a small and quiet box.
It will fit my TV room nicely and won't disturb my entertaining. Plus it's easier to move around if needed.
Undervolt your cpu. Easy and safe with no real downside. Lots of guides/videos on the web. Recommend Intel XTU but Throttlestop is very popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DX1UJa65JM

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product...Intel-XTU-

However, some recent bios versions for Intel machines disable undervolting due to the Plundervolt exploit.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Placing a Celeron G3930 (Kaby Lake) Processor on an ASUS H110M-C/CSM Motherboard RobertX 9 24,060 May 05, 2019, 22:22 pm
Last Post: RodneyYouPlonker
  upgrading/rebuilding my "gaming rig", looking for input rageabh 4 20,942 Mar 22, 2016, 19:18 pm
Last Post: rageabh
  Gaming rig hardware and specs xxcecilxx 5 21,994 Nov 05, 2015, 02:09 am
Last Post: dolly_cat
  Overheating issue. .... acsmith1972 2 15,132 Jun 09, 2014, 23:49 pm
Last Post: ShadyJay