Warcraft III does not work on a Windows 7 Virtualbox VM
(Sep 14, 2021, 17:40 pm)RobertX Wrote: bootlegged Russian Windows 7

Hahaha sorry but, did you consider the possibility that your russian bootleg might screw up some things?
Not really, I used another version of Windows 7 before that and used the Windows Russkie version in hopes that the problem will go away.

Anyhow, I was able to fix the solution; I went here: https://fdossena.com/?p=wined3d/index.frag

It's a Wine DX Wrapper for Windows, however, I did not just get the one from the door so to speak; I used the Mesa Wrapper instead and it worked like a charm, albeit I had to put up with unchangeable resolutions.

One down, two to go.
Nice find!!!

About resolution: Warcraft III is from 2002. Like evrything else from that era, it was not made for resolutions higher than 800x600 and will likely crash if you try, unless you hunt down high-res mods and install them at your own risk. I know they exist for my previously named RPGs (I have seen it! I have been through it! Can I get a hallelujah?)

But wait.... You are using wine inside windows in a VM? That is just insane layers of abstraction compared to fixing DX...

Did you try an XP VM with DX web installer?
No, I haven't, but are you saying that the web installer could be compatible for Windows XP? That's news to me.

About the Wine solution, you will find I'm a dogged problem-solver; I stick with what works.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download...aspx?id=35 Wrote:[Image: bmlEaF9.png]
Rolleyes

XP pro's are many - for one, you can get XP SP3 with all final updates as a torrent, no registration required or nothing Smile ---> https://thepiratebay.org/description.php?id=11671768
Thanks! Will bookmark it.

Just found out that Unreal Tournament 2004 works like a charm, and without extra configuration.

Does Steam sell that? Or GOG? Could be persuaded to spin some copper coins.
(Sep 14, 2021, 20:24 pm)RobertX Wrote: Thanks! Will bookmark it.

Just found out that Unreal Tournament 2004 works like a charm, and without extra configuration.

Does Steam sell that? Or GOG? Could be persuaded to spin some copper coins.

Whichever one you spend your $ on will have different requirements than the vanilla game. Both will be optimized for modern windows or in some cases linux (through wine). You will face an entirely different can of worms...

A lot of GOG content is available through torrents though, so you can try it out before spending anything
And this...

I think I will look into upgrading some hardware upgrades.

Warcraft III still is very choppy and this is a 64-bit CPU.
(Sep 14, 2021, 22:21 pm)RobertX Wrote: And this...

I think I will look into upgrading some hardware upgrades.

Warcraft III still is very choppy and this is a 64-bit CPU.

Yet it ran smoothly on a crappy pentium back in 2003 did it not? What were the specs of that machine?

It's choppy because you are adding layers of emulation on top of your virtualization

Vanilla pre XP era games run sharp sharp in my XP and/or win7 VMs with DX issues resolved (web-installer).

Look at the requirements of Warcraft III: https://gamesystemrequirements.com/game/...n-of-chaos

Why in the world would you accept that it does not run smoothly on a moderately modern machine? And RUN OUT and BUY MORE HARWARE????

Tell you what: make a torrent of your game - .iso(s) + patch, let me download it and see if it is indeed impossible to get working
I tried the web installer on my XP VM and it's none the better; I can't even start it because of "a cabinet file necessary for installation cannot be trusted."

It seems that "Cryptographic Services are disable and that the cabinet file certificate must be valid."

So, no-go. I'll try the offline installer.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I did try to enable Cryptographic Services but it's already enabled.

EDIT: I can't make a torrent as of now as I am downloading a gargantuan file on my other computer. But any Warcraft III Reign of Chaos/Frozen Throne installation with version 1.26a will tell you what it told me: "too bad, loser!"

EDIT: OK, I'm giving up on Warcraft III to get it running on 90%. The chances of doing so on the Windows 7 VM is pathetic, but making it run on Windows XP is embarrassing.

But pathetic is better than nothing.

I don't need to do this, the only reason why I bothered in the first place is to test out multiplayer capabilities. If Wine would do that, then I wouldn't even bother with VMs. ill88eagle, don't tell me that you've always managed to run all the games you have on Virtual machines, and my games are not pre-XPs.

Besides, my laptop is gathering dust and I don't think I can take that out with me for Wi-fi. Mine as well turn it into a makeshift gaming rig.

Perhaps I might find strength tomorrow to make this work, but right now, I'm calling it a night.

Thank you for trying to help, ill88eagle, at least that is appreciated.

Actually, ill88eagle, have you had the chance to download WC3 The Frozen Throne?

I'm wondering if I am still lucky.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows X-Lite - Custom Windows Builds theSEMAR 3 1,002 Feb 06, 2024, 17:52 pm
Last Post: maskaw
  Why Does AVG antivirus keep sending pop ups? WW3hasstarted 8 4,317 Jan 26, 2024, 15:51 pm
Last Post: RobertX
  Is there a free way to route my traffic like Exitlag does? samoyedcloud 0 1,272 Dec 28, 2023, 11:30 am
Last Post: samoyedcloud
  I need a stripped down Windows 8 or Windows 10 installation. Any suggestions? nosnavis 9 21,856 Jul 26, 2023, 12:38 pm
Last Post: theSEMAR
  Windows 10 enables Diagnostic Data despite not enabling it in Unattended XML RobertX 0 4,380 Jul 10, 2023, 22:29 pm
Last Post: RobertX