Legal/illegal - I'm confused
(Jul 23, 2018, 04:38 am)contrail Wrote: Legal if you make our own private copy, but illegal if you share it with people who have not bought it.

...copyright law is dumb so just share it smartly and use tpb

.....but I thought that using tpb to download anything is illegal, even if it is for a private copy!

What about Youtube? I can watch a movie, TV show or a 'professionally' made music concert, or listen to any amount of music and  I can save all to favourites on my device to watch ad infinitum at my leisure, is this legal or does it only become illegal if I download to a chosen device?  What is the difference, in either scenario I am saving the 'show'  for my personal use, unless of course,  the latter is viewed as a physical hard copy and thus carries with it the penalties? Surely, in either case, the copyright holders are missing out on their revenues from said shows viewed/saved/downloaded! Besides who's to know if and when I share the 'show' with friends and family in either scenario.

This whole 'is it legal is it not' thing re up/downloading seems so ill-defined. I guess that to be sure, just buy!
(Jul 23, 2018, 09:40 am)crimisus Wrote:
(Jul 23, 2018, 04:38 am)contrail Wrote: Legal if you make our own private copy, but illegal if you share it with people who have not bought it.

.....but I thought that using tpb to download anything is illegal, even if it is for a private copy! 
He's right, it is dumb. But it would be worse if you took that work and sold it instead of just sharing. Robert X's comment is correct to his the point where you are kinda like robin hood, and Politux VPN suggestions is also correct. Think of VPN like his arrows to help rob the rich. It is INDEED illegal, but we do what we gotta do. I have a VPN, and love it. NOt just for stealing, I watch youtube vids banned in my country (my VPN has servers in other countries). Also , logging into a VPN from a public computer adds anonymity, and I've even done experiments where I see how prices of things are different in different location. So it's more than a shady tool for theivery, if that puts you at ease. Those ISP letters, I've got when I forgot the vpn, they are just mainly scaree tactics. Hopng the majority is uninformed that they can't be bothered for individuals taking for themselves...They'll come after those that pirate/sell and making money more that a derp like me wanting to watch Smallville.

(Jul 23, 2018, 09:40 am)crimisus Wrote: What about Youtube? I can watch a movie, TV show or a 'professionally' made music concert, or listen to any amount of music and  I can save all to favourites on my device to watch ad infinitum at my leisure, is this legal or does it only become illegal if I download to a chosen device?  What is the difference, in either scenario I am saving the 'show'  for my personal use, unless of course,  the latter is viewed as a physical hard copy and thus carries with it the penalties? Surely, in either case, the copyright holders are missing out on their revenues from said shows viewed/saved/downloaded! Besides who's to know if and when I share the 'show' with friends and family in either scenario. 

Copyright applies to YouTube as well. Some content is taken down if the original creator makes a fuss. So that's sketchy too.I've ripped music from YouTube to burn CD's or put in in my collection. I'm not too concerned about the legalities of it (if I was, I wouldn't be here). Another thing that doesn't make sense, Lets say you order a pay per view, you pay for it, you can't burn it and give it, but you can invite people over (same for the show), so try not to take this too literally... You'll go nuts.

(Jul 23, 2018, 09:40 am)crimisus Wrote: This whole 'is it legal is it not' thing re up/downloading seems so ill-defined. I guess that to be sure, just buy!

If I was rich, I'd buy, but I feel I shouldn't go without something that would make me happy/better my life due to money issues. I do not feel bad... If I don't do it, there are still millions of people who do. A friend of mine says it's "not a victimless crime". To me, the crime is committed by the execs, screwing over the band, or underpaying the people for their services. We are stealing from the execs. Plus, I believe the price of what they charge includes loss projections from pirating. That is my opinion though and I could be wrong.
(Jul 23, 2018, 11:23 am)LZA Wrote:
(Jul 23, 2018, 09:40 am)crimisus Wrote:

.....but I thought that using tpb to download anything is illegal, even if it is for a private copy! 
He's right, it is dumb. But it would be worse if you took that work and sold it instead of just sharing. Robert X's comment is correct to his the point where you are kinda like robin hood, and Politux VPN suggestions is also correct. Think of VPN like his arrows to help rob the rich. It is INDEED illegal, but we do what we gotta do. I have a VPN, and love it. NOt just for stealing, I watch youtube vids banned in my country (my VPN has servers in other countries). Also , logging into a VPN from a public computer adds anonymity, and I've even done experiments where I see how prices of things are different in different location. So it's more than a shady tool for theivery, if that puts you at ease. Those ISP letters, I've got when I forgot the vpn, they are just mainly scaree tactics. Hopng the majority is uninformed that they can't be bothered for individuals taking for themselves...They'll come after those that pirate/sell and making money more that a derp like me wanting to watch Smallville.

(Jul 23, 2018, 09:40 am)crimisus Wrote: What about Youtube? I can watch a movie, TV show or a 'professionally' made music concert, or listen to any amount of music and  I can save all to favourites on my device to watch ad infinitum at my leisure, is this legal or does it only become illegal if I download to a chosen device?  What is the difference, in either scenario I am saving the 'show'  for my personal use, unless of course,  the latter is viewed as a physical hard copy and thus carries with it the penalties? Surely, in either case, the copyright holders are missing out on their revenues from said shows viewed/saved/downloaded! Besides who's to know if and when I share the 'show' with friends and family in either scenario. 

Copyright applies to YouTube as well. Some content is taken down if the original creator makes a fuss. So that's sketchy too.I've ripped music from YouTube to burn CD's or put in in my collection. I'm not too concerned about the legalities of it (if I was, I wouldn't be here). Another thing that doesn't make sense, Lets say you order a pay per view, you pay for it, you can't burn it and give it, but you can invite people over (same for the show), so try not to take this too literally... You'll go nuts.

(Jul 23, 2018, 09:40 am)crimisus Wrote: This whole 'is it legal is it not' thing re up/downloading seems so ill-defined. I guess that to be sure, just buy!

If I was rich, I'd buy, but I feel I shouldn't go without something that would make me happy/better my life due to money issues. I do not feel bad... If I don't do it, there are still millions of people who do. A friend of mine says it's "not a victimless crime". To me, the crime is committed by the execs, screwing over the band, or underpaying the people for their services. We are stealing from the execs. Plus, I believe the price of what they charge includes loss projections from pirating. That is my opinion though and I could be wrong.

So, a vpn is in order. Would you recommend just a vpn or a vpn+proxy, and of which brand/company would be preferable? Like you, I do think that torrenters are small fry compared to the corporate 'criminals'!
I'd say check this thread out:
https://pirates-forum.org/Thread-Which-V...-Seriously

It starts in 2013 but last post was a few days ago. LOADED with info. I don't want to sway you in one way or another, in case you are unhappy. That being said. I have ExpressVPN. More expensive, but to me more reliable. NordVPN (again, to me) was a close 2nd, but performance issues cause me not to pick it.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll be happy, and you won't worry about those stupid ISP letters... Just make sure you remember to turn it on.

I chose a VPN now, but had a proxy for my uTorrent for years. I would have changed to VPN sooner but never bothered. A VPN works as a proxy for your whole computer , the proxy I bought just hid my torrenting. VPN is the complete package IMHO.
(Jul 23, 2018, 15:25 pm)LZA Wrote: I'd say check this thread out:
https://pirates-forum.org/Thread-Which-V...-Seriously

It starts in 2013 but last post was a few days ago. LOADED with info. I don't want to sway you in one way or another, in case you are unhappy. That being said. I have ExpressVPN. More expensive, but to me more reliable. NordVPN (again, to me) was a close 2nd, but performance issues cause me not to pick it.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll be happy, and you won't worry about those stupid ISP letters... Just make sure you remember to turn it on.  

I chose a VPN now, but had a proxy for my uTorrent for years. I would have changed to VPN sooner but never bothered. A VPN works as a proxy for your whole computer , the proxy I bought just hid my torrenting. VPN is the complete package IMHO.

Thanks for that, I'll check them out tomorrow. Better to be safe than sorry, as the old proverb goes!
Fuck buying from Microsoft.

Even if I'm rich, I'd support the open source community first. They're the ones that need the money the most; they're the ones who deserve the money.
(Jul 23, 2018, 16:39 pm)RobertX Wrote: Fuck buying from Microsoft.

Even if I'm rich, I'd support the open source community first. They're the ones that need the money the most; they're the ones who deserve the money.

Heh, I've been brainwashed into MS. but if he gets a VPN, he won't have to pay for MS or anything else. Open source (most of it) is usually free, correct?
Usually, but not all.

Some companies charge for commercial support, or CD/DVD-burning service. Others get corporate sponsorship.
Currently, I use a seedbox, which includes a VPN .  When I was without internet at the house, I used to download torrents sitting in my van outside Starbucks, McDonalds and other places whose free internet could be picked up outside the restaurants.  I wonder how many letters those places got? Big Grin

As far as legality goes in your situation,  I wouldn't even worry about it.  I don't think law enforcement even looks at these kind of cases and as far as a civil case is concerned, they would never try to sue someone who had a form of legal ownership.
no matter what you download it is illegal cuz it is not legally yours....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm very confused LadyAnn 3 10,842 Jan 16, 2022, 13:42 pm
Last Post: Moe
  Illegal Persian Dubs renhoek93 17 47,445 Jun 25, 2021, 23:41 pm
Last Post: renhoek93
  New Torrent Uploader, confused on how to start. Guildmaster2000 5 14,685 Jan 31, 2021, 17:18 pm
Last Post: ill88eagle
  Is it legal to start TPB proxy ? Registration 6 11,662 Jul 09, 2020, 02:08 am
Last Post: waregim
  When the president does it, it's not illegal. dueda 2 10,589 Jun 08, 2020, 04:59 am
Last Post: dueda