Legal/illegal - I'm confused
In the Copyright PERFECT World We would pay for everything we ever saw or heard,  I mean we are talking about  the greedy bastards who if happy birthday is sang in a public place want and expect payment. And they pretty much had their way since the invention of the phonograph ect. 
They were totally opposed to CD tech cause they were afraid of what would happen when we could rip and burn and OMG.... share. For like almost 100 years they had tight controls and made money like owning an orchard of money trees.  They will never be satisfied until they figure out a way to regain that level of cash income. Yes our opposition are the greediest bastards that ever existed. The same kind of bastards that the novel Catch 22 chronicles.  Well now that being said I have to get busy and make some new shares.
(Jul 23, 2018, 15:25 pm)LZA Wrote: I'd say check this thread out:
https://pirates-forum.org/Thread-Which-V...-Seriously

It starts in 2013 but last post was a few days ago. LOADED with info. I don't want to sway you in one way or another, in case you are unhappy. That being said. I have ExpressVPN. More expensive, but to me more reliable. NordVPN (again, to me) was a close 2nd, but performance issues cause me not to pick it.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll be happy, and you won't worry about those stupid ISP letters... Just make sure you remember to turn it on.  

I chose a VPN now, but had a proxy for my uTorrent for years. I would have changed to VPN sooner but never bothered. A VPN works as a proxy for your whole computer , the proxy I bought just hid my torrenting. VPN is the complete package IMHO.
I have now checked out vpn's and shortlisted to ExpressVPN, IPVanish and NordVPN. Do any of these include a separate proxy service as does PIA? Do I need one anyway besides the vpn? Also, I have an Amazon Fire Stick attached to my smart TV. The stick has Kodi loaded on to it. How do I secure Kodi streaming traffic using a vpn, how would I connect it? The vpn's listed allow up to five different devices, would the Stick/TV combo qualify or would I need to secure the Virgin router and if so how is this achieved. Apologies for so many questions, as you can tell I am not techie savvy....I am now more confused than ever!!
(Jul 21, 2018, 04:17 am)BigNoise Wrote: My 2 cent:

stay away from: https://www.betternet.co/  - (lousy security, no encryption, + logging)

have a look at: https://airvpn.org/mission/

/BN Cool
(Jul 07, 2018, 07:02 am)BigNoise Wrote: wotcha mean by "help me get a VPN..." - others paying it for you?
lol, no but...
have a look here:
https://airvpn.org/mission/
(BigNoise approved Cool)

or IPredator (other Staff approved)

don't say thanks, but pass this info to all of your friends & family
privacy & security starts at home !!!

PIA (holds up in court) / IPredator (Staff used)/ AIRvpn (good mission)

I have one router that I connect anything and everything that needs to go through a vpn. I don't use Kodi and these stick things so sorry I can't advise you there.
(Jul 24, 2018, 09:32 am)crimisus Wrote: I have now checked out vpn's and shortlisted to ExpressVPN, IPVanish and NordVPN. Do any of these include a separate proxy service as does PIA? Do I need one anyway besides the vpn? Also, I have an Amazon Fire Stick attached to my smart TV. The stick has Kodi loaded on to it. How do I secure Kodi streaming traffic using a vpn, how would I connect it? The vpn's listed allow up to five different devices, would the Stick/TV combo qualify or would I need to secure the Virgin router and if so how is this achieved. Apologies for so many questions, as you can tell I am not techie savvy....I am now more confused than ever!!

Because I don't trust my definition, I'll include a definition from google, and If I'm wrong, I'm hoping someone jumps in... I feel OK with it or else I wouldn't respond

Quote:Unlike a proxy, which only secures your torrent client or web browser, VPN (Virtual Private Network) encrypted tunneling secures 100% of all your internet access, replacing your local ISP routing for all applications. With a fully anonymous VPN server, you will enjoy enhanced security regardless of geographic location.

Under that definition, A VPN is more comprehensive and a proxy separate from it is not really necessary. I've been using a VPM and it works better than the proxy, since my whole computer is protected... If you are looking for cheaper options, A proxy is fine... I used one for years... I think of it as I can spend the extra $$ and make it back with the stuff i download and would have paid for. But again, this is about your personal preference.  A proxy hides your torrent client. VPN hides your torrent client and everything else. Nerve-racking stuff if you're not familiar, I know...But I think a VPN will be fine...

The firestick question is over my head... I was thinking about getting one, but haven't done enough research to answer you with any confidence... I know they can be jailbroken, so you get all channels, but don't think that's what you are referring to. All I can do is share my search results... I'd say start with this:

Let me know what you think.
- 1 ) about the legal / illegal aspect > here i have a different approach than most other uploaders, as i deal with un-released music only, nothing commercially available.
As such, as i have no monetary gain by doing so, can share this for free on the Pirate Bay, under the Fair Use Policy.
Example & explanation below:
http://www.bayimg.com/GAndaaAgb
So matters differ, depending which perspective you have. There is open source, public domain, public broadcasts, public webcasts, the list is near endless Smile
I realise my approach to it is very different than mainstream tpb music uploaders, which mostly upload officially released music.

2 ) i take a different approach to the whole vpn/vps thingy, avoiding it by renting full dedicated servers and install my own setup via a script i made.
By taking a professional approach, these servers tend to be great seedboxes too, as others can testify. Smile One of em is currently up for 24 weeks in a row without reboot.

Interested? Want more info? Visit me in IRC and ask Smile

BTW, I have over 1000 of my uploads seeded in my public tpb music archive, so i should know what i am talking about :lol:

https://thepiratebay.org/user/GRNS3/0/7/0
(Jul 24, 2018, 12:30 pm)LZA Wrote:
(Jul 24, 2018, 09:32 am)crimisus Wrote: I have now checked out vpn's and shortlisted to ExpressVPN, IPVanish and NordVPN. Do any of these include a separate proxy service as does PIA? Do I need one anyway besides the vpn? Also, I have an Amazon Fire Stick attached to my smart TV. The stick has Kodi loaded on to it. How do I secure Kodi streaming traffic using a vpn, how would I connect it? The vpn's listed allow up to five different devices, would the Stick/TV combo qualify or would I need to secure the Virgin router and if so how is this achieved. Apologies for so many questions, as you can tell I am not techie savvy....I am now more confused than ever!!

Because I don't trust my definition, I'll include a definition from google, and If I'm wrong, I'm hoping someone jumps in... I feel OK with it or else I wouldn't respond

Quote:Unlike a proxy, which only secures your torrent client or web browser, VPN (Virtual Private Network) encrypted tunneling secures 100% of all your internet access, replacing your local ISP routing for all applications. With a fully anonymous VPN server, you will enjoy enhanced security regardless of geographic location.

Under that definition, A VPN is more comprehensive and a proxy separate from it is not really necessary. I've been using a VPM and it works better than the proxy, since my whole computer is protected... If you are looking for cheaper options, A proxy is fine... I used one for years... I think of it as I can spend the extra $$ and make it back with the stuff i download and would have paid for. But again, this is about your personal preference.  A proxy hides your torrent client. VPN hides your torrent client and everything else. Nerve-racking stuff if you're not familiar, I know...But I think a VPN will be fine...

The firestick question is over my head... I was thinking about getting one, but haven't done enough research to answer you with any confidence... I know they can be jailbroken, so you get all channels, but don't think that's what you are referring to. All I can do is share my search results... I'd say start with this:

Let me know what you think.

Thanks for the link. The process looks simple enough and all content/apps seem to be protected. Once I prescribe to IPVanish (the one the tutorial recommends.....I haven't researched this one though) presumably I can download app to desktop and laptop (both running wirelessly) and protect those too? 

I have had a stick for some time now and installed Kodi to it. Apps are plentiful and easy to download/install. I have found streaming good most of the time but depends on the streams available for chosen presentation (this can be a bit hit and miss at times, especially as some want verification) and one's internet speed. Of course, I realize that this is deemed illegal thus the need to secure it with vpn. There are plenty of Firesticks/boxes out there pre-loaded with Kodi but they can be loaded with all sorts of dumb s**t. I preferred to load a 'clean' stick myself from a reputable source. So for £40 or less, you get access to a whole lot of stuff that's out there, way too much really if you let it run away with you!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm very confused LadyAnn 3 10,754 Jan 16, 2022, 13:42 pm
Last Post: Moe
  Illegal Persian Dubs renhoek93 17 47,158 Jun 25, 2021, 23:41 pm
Last Post: renhoek93
  New Torrent Uploader, confused on how to start. Guildmaster2000 5 14,562 Jan 31, 2021, 17:18 pm
Last Post: ill88eagle
  Is it legal to start TPB proxy ? Registration 6 11,541 Jul 09, 2020, 02:08 am
Last Post: waregim
  When the president does it, it's not illegal. dueda 2 10,495 Jun 08, 2020, 04:59 am
Last Post: dueda