Would I be safe downloading this torrent without a vpn?
Honestly, I thought I posted this question last night but I must not have hit the send button or something.

Anywho...
I want to download an old french movie torrent that has only 3 seeds.  Do you think it would be safe to try downloading it without a VPN?

Here's the torrent : https://thepiratebay.org/description.php?id=18210144
Old movies nobody gives a fuck. The proffesional blackmailers monitor the new releases. Downloading old obscure stuff is safer than crossing the street by foot
(Dec 27, 2023, 14:49 pm)dickhead Wrote: Old movies nobody gives a fuck. The proffesional blackmailers monitor the new releases. Downloading old obscure stuff is safer than crossing the street by foot

Funny you should say that.  I was almost arrested for doing just that.

That kind of answered my question... I'm using a VPN
Were you confronted by the cops?

Just by downloading old movies? Hard to believe, but insane world out there.
I think it's safe Smile
(Dec 27, 2023, 13:03 pm)Ladyanne3 Wrote: Honestly, I thought I posted this question last night but I must not have hit the send button or something.

Anywho...
I want to download an old french movie torrent that has only 3 seeds.  Do you think it would be safe to try downloading it without a VPN?

Here's the torrent : https://thepiratebay.org/description.php?id=18210144

Regardless of answers, I would use a trustworthy VPN provider over my ISP.
I agree with apparent consensus with here;  it is likely safe enough.  In the 16+ years I have been doing this,  I only got DMCA'd once, shortly after I got started and before I figured out the best settings on my clients.  I was notified by phone, believe it or not.  And yes, it was concerning a major hot release that had just come out on DVD at the time.  I totally denied it, which satisfied my ISP.

I have never used a VPN.  But then, I pretty much never try to get major film releases right after they come out.  Also, my ISP is apparently is not bound hand-and-foot to the mega-media conglomerates.  They only do the bare minimum required under the DMCA.
I've always found that libraries always help when you are scared of downloading movies online. My local library keeps a recent selection of DVDs and Blu Rays such that I can check them out and rip them onto my hard drive. The quality suffers, but at least I am getting something for nothing.

The bonus preference of getting library materials over downloading is that I also get the extras.

Of course, if you don't have access to a library that has Hollywood movies at your disposal, you can try streaming sites. Ask here if you want to hear about some.

EDIT: By the way, if you're wondering what I mean by "streaming sites," I don't mean Netflix or Hulu or any paid content. I am a cheapskate, I'm a pirate, why would I recommend that? I have relied on sites that offer free streaming, and illegal!!!

Try this: https://123-series.com/
I'd say if you have a VPN, that would be the way to go. BUT, I've accidentally left it off a few times and only got the DMCA letter once... I think they only really care if they know you D/L to make and sell copies...
LZA, how many movies have you downloaded with your VPN?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another VPN flaw WW3hasstarted 0 205 May 07, 2024, 07:31 am
Last Post: WW3hasstarted
  Would there be interest in a "torrent collection" file? MaruTheAlmighty 5 461 May 07, 2024, 00:13 am
Last Post: dueda
  How Attackers Can Decloak Routing-Based VPNs For a Total VPN Leak! lustrous 0 5,002 May 06, 2024, 18:26 pm
Last Post: lustrous
  Windows Updates break VPN connections WW3hasstarted 9 639 May 06, 2024, 17:22 pm
Last Post: RodneyYouPlonker
  need advice for mass downloading Sizzle 12 2,819 Jan 22, 2024, 18:48 pm
Last Post: maskaw