Personal Riff Projects
(Apr 27, 2022, 07:56 am)SuspiriaTrumpsItFollowsCrap Wrote:
(Apr 26, 2022, 23:49 pm)Helles Wrote: Okay, "It!" should be up momentarily.  You have all been so supportive, I hope you like it.

https://youtu.be/QMJ2XlFthQs

PS. Meat Trademark might have been seeing into my future.  YouTube has blocked this riff.  Copyright.  Well, that was fun.

put it on dailymotion; that site reallllly couldn't give a poop emoji, it allows Star Trek TNG, lol.

and btw, MGM, FUCK YOU, since you you cared so much about copyright that you sold off over HALF of your catalogue.

Pick a lane and STAY in it you c0ckless LA cheese-crotches.
Just got back from a trip down to AZ.  Okay, it looks to me like It! is PD.  Could it be that it was flagged because I left the MGM lion roaring intro in place?  Should I try to cut that out and reupload?  I guess I'll try that then report back.

(Apr 30, 2022, 07:19 am)bswitzer Wrote: Long time lurker, first time poster. I saw this thread and couldn’t help but think if not now then when?

This isn’t exactly a riff, more an artifact of a weird coping strategy for a terrible year. Myself and a couple comics that were quarantined in New York during 2020 spent way too much time putting this weird Zoom movie together to keep sane. It’s about a meathead Joe Rogan acolyte and his nerdy buddy in the post-apocalypse running the world’s last podcast out of Lance Bass’ secret underground fallout shelter beneath the Gold’s Gym in Orlando, Florida. 

Spoiler alert for those that watch this for a few minutes and find it tedious: This is an aggressively hard watch. It’s almost a hundred minutes long when it should be under forty.

The problem was this film was made during 2020, so none of use were thinking straight to begin with, let alone contemplating how many friends and family members I would personally lose during the production and editing process. So many family members that by the end, I assumed the whole project was haunted and the next cut I made into the movie would be unto my very soul. …that and my copy of Premiere expired. So the version we’re left with is kinda flabby. There’s a lot of bad continuity errors and wonky edits—easily fixed, but again, I’m too much of a coward to go back now. I only have so few family members left to give, and I fear the reaper’s next swing of the scythe will take them, or me.

That said, I do truly believe if anyone gets to the end of this movie… it kinda works? I think? I’ve had very little feedback on that because no one I know has actually made it that far, which you feel would be feedback enough—but now I’ve found the only audience I can think of that would be willing to sit though this attempt at a movie to find the very nice nougaty core we tried to put in there. 

At the very least, if any of you manage to slog it out, I hope you’ll find it a slightly better experience than Roller Gator. And what can anyone that makes art say at the end of the day than, “I think I’ve slightly improved on Roller Gator?”

The Last Podcast Ever.
I shall check it out!  As soon as I get done fiddle-fucking around with "It!".

(Apr 30, 2022, 23:49 pm)NotRichBatman Wrote: Hi, Doug:

I finished target earth earlier and thank you! You're a gem, that was a hoot, I loled
Bummer about It!, please do try dailymotion as it'd be a shame to miss

I'll be a squeaky wheel, I vote for a separate riffs by doug thread for all one's riffs by doug needs, such as:
"Dear Riffs by Doug, did Doug's dog sense evil and bark before the one actor tried mounting the defenseless car engine in Target Earth"

p.s. Please don't shut up

Hey NotRichBatman,  I am really happy Target Earth made you laugh.  If I can't get it up on YouTube I'll go the Dailymotion route.

And yes, in all of my episodes so far, one of my dogs can be heard barking.  My Vegas house is much smaller than my last house and I really don't have a place for a "studio".

(May 01, 2022, 05:59 am)SuspiriaTrumpsItFollowsCrap Wrote: The one thing about dailymotion is the limit on the clip/vid length, but let's be honest; if the comedy is great, would anyone other than a Spongebobian boof-head really care about watching something in 2 parts, or at a lower resolution?  Look at the original resolution of The Crawling Eye & The Black Scorpion by MST3K!  If you need more than 1080 p to enjoy a bunch of jokes, you are the joke.  Look at 1960's BBC material, for $#!'s sake.

Let's not assume the comedy will be great.  I sure as hell don't. lol 

Let me just say, my intro music is probably not in the PD.  The outro music is probably not in the PD, but I used both in episode 2 without a problem.  I added an RCA test pattern I copied off YouTube and a snack bar intro I copied off YouTube.  I guess one or more of those could be the problem?  I dunno.  If it's not an easy fix, I'll go Dailymotion.

Thank you all for your kind support.

Okay, I finally figured out how to determine why it was flagged as a copyright violation. It was the intro music. I'll take that out and redo the intro.
hurrah, Helles!  Can't wait!  And yeah, I made sure to use PD music myself  "just in case". 

RE Dailymotion, just to save other people some time, I investigated and made an account: what I found was that upon making an account & uploading a clip, it defaults to "private" viewing settings, but (after further investigation), you can [for free] adjust your account to a "partner status" and then the clips can be viewed by anybody. 

youtewwwwwwwb tute on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEyPbIdYETI

I did this and uploaded a video, used a separate browser to see if the link worked.

As of now, there are 5 views; I've watched it twice to "check it", which means 3 other people have viewed it.  Dunno whom they might be. 

Dailymotion seems to be "louder" than youtube (at least on my clip), so I suggest turning the volume setting down to 15%-20% so as to protect your hearing.  Please do not listen with earbuds - earbuds cause hearing damage. 

Also, the site seems to set a low resolution as a default when viewing anything; please click the "settings" tab to choose 720p or you'll be seeing 420 or 360.

Best of luck to all, Helles is hilarious.

bad rhyme warning: "By the Way, what's the ETA, Miss Martian?"

And I'm still as broken up about Neal Adams as I was about Bowie.
Oh dear!  Guess we need an "add".

The benefit of Dailymotion is that putting things up there disallows Buzzfeeders/Slaters/VICEwanks/Tweety-junkies etc. to "cancel-at-will", lol, so I've uploaded 2 parts of what I'm doing to Daily. I strongly suggest that if anyone bothers to check out these 2 clips, they turn the volume down to 50% and not use ear-buds.  Again, ear-buds harm your hearing.

Ducking was used.  But not the wanky-a$$ useless "app-ducking"; that crap is terrible and I can understand why ColdIron "no likee".  The ducking was by hand, adjusted to the second/half-second, track by track, joke by joke.  Dedication is half of art, folks.

Episode one - https://www.dailymotion.com/video/kEMHTWrhfSWq6FxVALR

Episode two - https://dai.ly/x8al6dv

Both of these links have been tested via a best friend using a different operating system so "they work".  On mozilla, safari, etc.

Many eps of MST3K and Cinematic Titanic had "obscure & arcane" jokes, so, since I love those kinds of jokes, I make no apologies for being esoteric myself.  But there are many "broad" jokes as well, to use the comedic-lexicon.  Later eps have purely "visual" jokes.

And in later eps, more than a dozen jokes are very comic-book specific, lol.  4 eps are completed

Best to all, happy Art-Making to everyone.

edit: now 5 episodes.
(May 06, 2022, 01:28 am)SuspiriaTrumpsItFollowsCrap Wrote: Oh dear!  Guess we need an "add".

The benefit of Dailymotion is that putting things up there disallows Buzzfeeders/Slaters/VICEwanks/Tweety-junkies etc. to "cancel-at-will", lol, so I've uploaded 2 parts of what I'm doing to Daily. I strongly suggest that if anyone bothers to check out these 2 clips, they turn the volume down to 50% and not use ear-buds.  Again, ear-buds harm your hearing.

Ducking was used.  But not the wanky-a$$ useless "app-ducking"; that crap is terrible and I can understand why ColdIron "no likee".  The ducking was by hand, adjusted to the second/half-second, track by track, joke by joke.  Dedication is half of art, folks.

Episode one - https://www.dailymotion.com/video/kEMHTWrhfSWq6FxVALR

Episode two - https://dai.ly/x8al6dv

Both of these links have been tested via a best friend using a different operating system so "they work".  On mozilla, safari, etc.

Many eps of MST3K and Cinematic Titanic had "obscure & arcane" jokes, so, since I love those kinds of jokes, I make no apologies for being esoteric myself.  But there are many "broad" jokes as well, to use the comedic-lexicon.  Later eps have purely "visual" jokes.

And in later eps, more than a dozen jokes are very comic-book specific, lol.  4 eps are completed

Best to all, happy Art-Making to everyone.

edit: now 5 episodes.

I've watched the first four and they are superb.  STIFC's voice over work is world class.  He has invented several unique characters that are marvelous.  He picked a real "winner" of a film that is lots of fun to go on his creative ride with. 

I applaud you not wanting to "dumb down" the jokes.  Esoteric jokes, when one "gets" them, are all the more funny.  One of your jokes which I quite enjoyed was hilarious even though I didn't get the direct reference. It was funny just by the way it was formulated coupled with the on-screen visual!. (I wasn't familiar with The Eternals) Plenty of room for all kinds of jokes! 

Keep up the EXCELLENT work! 

Doug
PS. STIFC is also an incredible artist!

PSS.  I decided to rewrite parts of the IT! script and re-record it on better equipment which I have ordered.  Hope to have it up in a few days.
You are too kind Helles, and it means the world to me, no hyperbole.  I am so glad you have a new mic, it really means all the difference, trust me.  When you have a mic that dovetails with your voice-and-cadence-and-diction, it's like that Hollywood Promise of "meeting the right gal who loves you for being you."  That mic lets you be a better person, comedy-wise.

And thank you for supporting me RE "not dumbing down".  Intellectual muscles are still muscles; they can atrophy.  "Use it or lose it" as the experts used to say.  Just imagine if the great guitarists or keyboard players didn't use their fingers for a year.  Same thing.

And I raise a glass to you RE your compliments to my VO; I've worked on it for YEARS.  June Foray is a hero of mine, and always shall be.

Which leads us to a Betty Rubble joke or two I included as a tribute to June for your appreciation (she was the 1st Betty Rubble, and the super-sexy Natasha from Rocky & Bullwinkle!

meanwhile, Helles does what I cannot do (and am envious of): being supremely funny just using one voice. I cannot to that; I cannot construct jokes for that or "perform" that way, and Helles CAN, which is wonderful and lets me "belly-laugh" (the stairs joke at the end of Target Earth slaughtered me!).  Using "one voice" to make us laugh is MUCH harder, so hats-off to Helles!

(Apr 19, 2022, 19:14 pm)Miss Martian Wrote: Now that I'm out of jail... I have a project or two I've also been working on. Some of the people here already know about it. One of which should see fruition within the month!

Hiya toots, just wanted to add some techy-crap in the hope it makes your riffing easier.

USB mics and Garageband will always frustrate you.

If you have a great voice, and cadence, and can use that creatively, you need a decent xlr mic; Austin Texas is one of the homes of great recording-processes, so you know what I mean.  To put this into art terms, comicbook art terms you will understand, imagine that that Joe Sinnott or Tom Palmer or Terry Austin or George Klein was inking the pencil-art of Neal Adams with a SHARPIE marker.

The usb mic is the sharpie marker.  The pencil art will be RUINED.  Like Don Perlin inking Byrne.

Don't do that to yerself, dollface.

All the best, STIFC
Script for ep 6 done, 1/3rd of lines recorded.
(May 08, 2022, 01:40 am)SuspiriaTrumpsItFollowsCrap Wrote: Script for ep 6 done, 1/3rd of lines recorded.

Excellent!  Just watched Ep 5.  Continues to be stellar!  I can't get over the marvelous VO work.  I can't believe that is all one person.  Mel Blanc was a master, but you could always hear "Mel" in each of his voices.  Not with STIFC.  Amazing.

Let's get 6 uploaded already!  Smile
Cheers man, this ep was a beast. Took a lot outta me, especially on the vocals (it's physically quite taxing to mess with one's vocal chords in this way). I really, reallllly appreciate the compliments, thank you so much. I'll share it with ya soon.

Meanwhile, I'm still anxious to enjoy your riff of "IT!" ! Can't wait!

script for #7 finally completed.
(May 13, 2022, 07:56 am)SuspiriaTrumpsItFollowsCrap Wrote: Cheers man, this ep was a beast.  Took a lot outta me, especially on the vocals (it's physically quite taxing to mess with one's vocal chords in this way).  I really, reallllly appreciate the compliments, thank you so much.  I'll share it with ya soon.

Meanwhile, I'm still anxious to enjoy your riff of "IT!" !  Can't wait!

script for #7 finally completed.

Okay, finally figured out Dailymotion.  Here is a link to part 1 of It! 

https://dai.ly/x8at4nn

I'll be checking out Part 6 while my part 2 is rendering!  Can't wait!

PS. I can only imagine that the gymnastics you put your voice through, that your vocal chords take a beating!
PSS. Part 6 might be the best part yet! Well done!!! Very funny!!!
Fannnnnntastic!!!  I just checked your link: works perfectly!  Will be listening/watching as a treat after I try to record Part 7, the Finalé, which won't be easy; stupid movie decided to really ramp-up the "silly" for the last bit, thus the writing took hours and hours and "ughhhhh".  The VO is gonna be "Aaaaghhhhhhh!"

Thank goodness I'll be able to enjoy your work afterwards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HIIIGHWAYY TO THE Top Gun: Maverick riff savindwales 1 2,702 Nov 10, 2023, 19:35 pm
Last Post: MATMAN
  Movie riff suggestion Dr. Nobody 0 2,594 Sep 28, 2023, 03:05 am
Last Post: Dr. Nobody
  [REQ] Star Trek Motion &Star Trek Nemises riff cousinbow 12 6,358 Sep 03, 2023, 18:47 pm
Last Post: DoctorChimera
  A Very Merry Riff-mas (with Bridget and Mary Jo) peephalk 8 12,865 Aug 22, 2023, 13:36 pm
Last Post: intransitivelie
  JURASSIC UNIVERSE(Riff Compilation) Jurassic Pee 3 4,740 Jun 16, 2023, 19:48 pm
Last Post: kkt