Need VPN Recommendations
Since no one reached out to me I will find someone else to help me set this up, but if you can recommend a good VPN & state why, that would e much appreciated.

I'm not a geek, so this is all new to me. I don't even know what the difference is between the seeder & the VPN & if you need both or one or what Sad

Thank you
Don't try to steal attention away from someone trying to obtain help. That's rude.

Post split to new thread.
I'm sorry, I thought they already got their help, that's why I asked.
I am a happy user of EarthVPN. I never used alternatives so it might just I do not know what I am missing, but it works fairly well for me.

The reasons:
- they take anonymity seriously, they essentially just want an email and the money to give you the service and they promise no logs;
- you can decide what kind of service you want selecting from many components, including stronger encryption and socks proxies; a single forwarded port is very useful;
- well described instructions how to set up;
- quick and friendly customer support;
- many exit point all around the word;
- few specialized exit nodes for p2p or uncensored browsing.

Here it is, this is my experience.

Since you said you are a newbie here is the idea: stronger encryption is useful if you live in a country that disrespect personal freedom (e.g., China, US, UK...); the forwarded port is useful if you use bittorrent network (or other p2p) to have better speeds; the socks proxy if you want to access different geolocated services at the same time (for example using pandora in one browser tab, bbc news in another...).
I decided that I needed to use a VPN service.
I looked around at the VPN services and read a few reviews and comparisons of them.
Being a tight-a** i chose Boxpn, the cheapest one I could find [$35.88 for 1 year] that had a good review.

My decision was based on the review here:
http://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-tha...edition/2/

Unfortunately, they do not show up in the next review here:
https://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-servi...on-140315/

I went to their website here:
https://www.boxpn.com/

They said:
"Boxpn Guarantees Fastest, Cheapest & Secured VPN!
Your Identity is 100% Secured with Boxpn VPN
Boxpn offers Fastest VPN access to the internet in a 100% private environment.
It lets you unblock any site you want and secures your internet connection with 2048bit SSTP.
You also have a wide choice of different countries IPs to select from with unlimited bandwidth and speed

How could I go wrong?
Let me count the ways ...

I began using their service in the last 10 days of December 2013.

I was not getting my full 15mbps at first.
It was only about 7mbps at 2048 bit SSTP encryption level.
Now to be fair, I did get my full 15mbps a few times for a short while at a later time at the lower 256bit L2TP encryption level.

Occasionally, I couldn't get more than 50 to 30 Kbps [0.4 to 0.24mbps] for long periods.
I ran ShaperProbe and it told me that my download was being shaped.

Then, if I stopped using the VPN network for at least 12 hours, everything was reasonably good again, I could get 500 to 700 mbps for a while.
Now, even if I do not use it for 24 hours my uploading [seeding] and downloading are still being restricted to the 0.4 to 0.24 mbps range or less.

I am finding that I have wasted my money with this VPN provider.
4 months into using this VPN provider, well beyond the 7 day money back guarantee, I am finding it to be practically useless.
Reading a few responses from readers about Boxpn on other review sites, dealing with their support people about poor service is a lost cause.
If my router or ISP disconnects me, Boxpn's software will attempt to reconnect me.
That has only happened a very few times.
If I get disconnected from the VPN server by the VPN server there is no attempt to reconnect made.
This happens all the time.
I have begun to sit here and watch my connection.
I will reconnect manually because the app does not reconnect me.
After a short while it will disconnect me again.
I will change servers and it will start disconnecting me again.
This will continue until I get tired of dealing with it and shut my PC down.

EDIT:
I have just spent the last couple of hours being disconnected from each server that I could get a connection to.
Some of them tell me that I am using the wrong user name/password.
If that's true, why will it let me connect to other servers at other locations?
All the others will let me connect, but kick me off after a few minutes.

Beware of Boxpn after the 7 day money back guarantee is up!
i use private internet access... been excellent since march this year... the cost was £29.99 for a year and was really easy to set up. the setup program saves u time and fiddly settings... i haven't had any connection problems and no down time. even when they upgraded their servers there wasn't any down time... did i mention it cost £29.99 and was rated best vpn in multiple compare sites...

...do a little research and find the best one by cost versus reliability

..happy hunting!
Boxpn's quality of service continued to decline after my post complaining about them.
A couple of weeks ago they began to make upgrades to their network.
Now that they're done or at least almost done, there has been a huge increase in their quality of service.
I am now receiving the quality of service I expected to get when I signed up with them.
I withdraw my complaint other than to say: They took too long to make the upgrades.

(May 15, 2014, 05:42 am)1voyager1 Wrote: I decided that I needed to use a VPN service.
I looked around at the VPN services and read a few reviews and comparisons of them.
Being a tight-a** i chose Boxpn, the cheapest one I could find [$35.88 for 1 year] that had a good review.

They said:
It lets you unblock any site you want and secures your internet connection with 2048bit SSTP.
You also have a wide choice of different countries IPs to select from with unlimited bandwidth and speed

How could I go wrong?

Now to be fair, I did get my full 15mbps a few times for a short while at a later time at the lower 256bit L2TP encryption level.

Occasionally, I couldn't get more than 50 to 30 Kbps [0.4 to 0.24mbps] for long periods.

Then, if I stopped using the VPN network for at least 12 hours, everything was reasonably good again, I could get 500 to 700 mbps for a while.
Now, even if I do not use it for 24 hours my uploading [seeding] and downloading are still being restricted to the 0.4 to 0.24 mbps range or less.

4 months into using this VPN provider, well beyond the 7 day money back guarantee, I am finding it to be practically useless.
Reading a few responses from readers about Boxpn on other review sites, dealing with their support people about poor service is a lost cause.
If my router or ISP disconnects me, Boxpn's software will attempt to reconnect me.
If I get disconnected from the VPN server by the VPN server there is no attempt to reconnect made.

EDIT:
I have just spent the last couple of hours being disconnected from each server that I could get a connection to.

(Jul 06, 2014, 01:53 am)1voyager1 Wrote: Boxpn's quality of service continued to decline after my post complaining about them.
A couple of weeks ago they began to make upgrades to their network.
Now that they're done or at least almost done, there has been a huge increase in their quality of service.
I am now receiving the quality of service I expected to get when I signed up with them.
I withdraw my complaint other than to say: They took too long to make the upgrades.

(May 15, 2014, 05:42 am)1voyager1 Wrote: I decided that I needed to use a VPN service.

They said:

How could I go wrong?

EDIT:

I wrote to BoxPN with a few questions & they just ignored me.

So I won't be even remotely trying to use a company who doesn't give a shit about pre-sales.

(Feb 24, 2014, 10:29 am)etpirateb Wrote: I am a happy user of EarthVPN. I never used alternatives so it might just I do not know what I am missing, but it works fairly well for me.

The reasons:
- they take anonymity seriously, they essentially just want an email and the money to give you the service and they promise no logs;
- you can decide what kind of service you want selecting from many components, including stronger encryption and socks proxies; a single forwarded port is very useful;
- well described instructions how to set up;
- quick and friendly customer support;
- many exit point all around the word;
- few specialized exit nodes for p2p or uncensored browsing.

Here it is, this is my experience.

Since you said you are a newbie here is the idea: stronger encryption is useful if you live in a country that disrespect personal freedom (e.g., China, US, UK...); the forwarded port is useful if you use bittorrent network (or other p2p) to have better speeds; the socks proxy if you want to access different geolocated services at the same time (for example using pandora in one browser tab, bbc news in another...).

Never used them b/c when I asked them questions they refused to answer me trying to get me to read their FAQ. While one or two answers were there, the rest were not & I told them so & they just ignored me.

Another VPN company that doesn't care about customer service.

Of course your experience was different than mine.
(Feb 22, 2014, 23:38 pm)freetobe Wrote: Since no one reached out to me I will find someone else to help me set this up, but if you can recommend a good VPN & state why, that would e much appreciated.

I'm not a geek, so this is all new to me. I don't even know what the difference is between the seeder & the VPN & if you need both or one or what Sad

Thank you

I don't know if you found a VPN or not, but I recommend IPVanish. Here is a page that explains the "why" from their words: https://www.ipvanish.com/why-vpn.php

I like IPVanish because they never log any activity you do, no government can subpoena for the logs because they don't exist, their software has an option to automatically rotate your IP every 60 minutes, they have hundreds of fast servers around the world (I get 50/10 minimum from most of their servers), and last, their software is easy to use and understand.

I use Vuze as my client and then I bind Vuze to IPVanish. This way when IPVanish disconnects to auto rotate the IP address every 60 minutes, all torrent activity stops until the connection is re-established with the new IP.

To get a better price from IPVanish, visit their sign up page, scroll up and down a few times and then click on their logo. A "please don't go" pop over will show up giving you a 20% discount.

If you still don't know the difference between a seeder and a VPN, I suggest you try reading through the Tutorials: https://pirates-forum.org/Forum-Tutorials

-roselip
(Nov 15, 2014, 13:51 pm)roselip Wrote:
(Feb 22, 2014, 23:38 pm)freetobe Wrote: Since no one reached out to me I will find someone else to help me set this up, but if you can recommend a good VPN & state why, that would e much appreciated.

Thank you

I don't know if you found a VPN or not, but I recommend IPVanish. Here is a page that explains the "why" from their words: https://www.ipvanish.com/why-vpn.php

I like IPVanish because they never log any activity you do, no government can subpoena for the logs because they don't exist, their software has an option to automatically rotate your IP every 60 minutes, they have hundreds of fast servers around the world (I get 50/10 minimum from most of their servers), and last, their software is easy to use and understand.

I use Vuze as my client and then I bind Vuze to IPVanish. This way when IPVanish disconnects to auto rotate the IP address every 60 minutes, all torrent activity stops until the connection is re-established with the new IP.

To get a better price from IPVanish, visit their sign up page, scroll up and down a few times and then click on their logo. A "please don't go" pop over will show up giving you a 20% discount.

If you still don't know the difference between a seeder and a VPN, I suggest you try reading through the Tutorials: https://pirates-forum.org/Forum-Tutorials

-roselip

Hi there,

Thank you for this. I never heard of them before & I had been looking forever.

I ended up with Private Internet Access & so far other then some arrogant first level techies (I now have the names of the managers to avoid them) who sometimes don't know what they are doing or understand English, they have been great, & overall it's the best VPN I've used out of all of them (3 in total), so I'm happy right now.

I'll keep this one in mind though as I like the rotating IP addys.

Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which VPN Providers Take Anonymity Seriously? demonS 161 529,318 Feb 21, 2024, 10:30 am
Last Post: solid_gamer_guy
  VPN, and Tor: Navigating TPB lustrous 2 2,804 Nov 11, 2023, 06:41 am
Last Post: lustrous
  VPN mandatory? Puckje 5 8,131 Aug 26, 2023, 05:33 am
Last Post: RobertX
  Which VPN Services Keep You Anonymous in 2018? Ernesto 19 128,583 Jun 29, 2023, 14:04 pm
Last Post: sherb
  I busted Windscribe (A VPN) Ladyanne3 6 12,266 Aug 28, 2022, 21:07 pm
Last Post: Slow Mo