Autoplay does not work on Windows 7
OK, I'm an idiot and I feel like one.

On my Windows 7 machine, I've set autoplay settings, but nothing plays when I insert a retail DVD movie, or anything that that requires insertion to the DVD drive for that matter.

What can possibly have gone wrong?
what audio/video player do you use? maybe it is just need change setting in audio/video player.

this is example from MPC-HC:

[Image: MPC.jpg]

first, make sure you open the player, then insert your DVD.

EDIT

Maybe it is only control panel setting:

[Image: CPL.jpg]
I use the official one from Microsoft; Windows Media Player 12.

Sorry for not specifying; I'm a dumbass.

And yes, I did set the options in the last step you laid out.

EDIT: I use the K-Lite Codec pack to install codecs and its DVD decoder and AnyDVD to drown out the region encryption problems.
Autoplay is not your friend, and should be turned OFF. It is an attack vector.
Use VLC. Blows the M$ crap away. Maneuver to file manager and click on autorun.inf (assuming its used on video dvd's - havent seen one in ages.
else, in c:\windows
echo "start <dvd drive letter>:\autorun.inf" > go.bat

Then just hit start>run>go.bat

I use Far Manager to run Win and usually bypass autorun, and click on the files directly.

Make sure VLC has all the proper extensions registered.
OK, just got Autoplay turned off, but I'm not using anything other than WMP12.

The reason being is that WMP12 is the only player in this world that can play my Star Trek: First Contact Collector's Edition DVD. It's the best there is on my Windows 7 machine. The video suddenly stops in the middle with VLC with the DVD drive I have.

It takes too long to explain, but VLC is not an option on my Windows 7 computer.
Give Pot Player a spin. VLC has more options but PP doesnt burp on some of the things VLC does.
Thanks, but WMP12 for Windows 7 is good enough.

Can't say the same for the one on Windows 8/8.1/10; that was an abomination.

EDIT: waregim and theSEMAR, thanks for your help. waregim, I appreciate your comments, but I don't want to turn this thread into a "what's your favourite player" thread, so let's just leave it at that.

But thanks anyways.
See if it works if you turn off UAC and log in as Admin.
If so, check Group Policies. Dunno the key offhand...
Well, in a final stab at hijacking my own thread, it seems that Media Player Classic (bundled with the K-Lite Codec Pack) is the new hero. I just installed it with the codec pack and it works just as fine.

Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows X-Lite - Custom Windows Builds theSEMAR 3 1,000 Feb 06, 2024, 17:52 pm
Last Post: maskaw
  Why Does AVG antivirus keep sending pop ups? WW3hasstarted 8 4,312 Jan 26, 2024, 15:51 pm
Last Post: RobertX
  Is there a free way to route my traffic like Exitlag does? samoyedcloud 0 1,267 Dec 28, 2023, 11:30 am
Last Post: samoyedcloud
  I need a stripped down Windows 8 or Windows 10 installation. Any suggestions? nosnavis 9 21,852 Jul 26, 2023, 12:38 pm
Last Post: theSEMAR
  Windows 10 enables Diagnostic Data despite not enabling it in Unattended XML RobertX 0 4,378 Jul 10, 2023, 22:29 pm
Last Post: RobertX