vim vs. emacs
I just downloaded a very small editor called VIM and am a little intimidated by the sheer complexity of the program.

What do you guys prefer when using GNU/Linux/UNIX to code? VIM or Emacs?
Both emacs and vim are steep learning curves, but come with a shit load of functionality. Emacs can handle your email and newsgroups and all sorts of shit. I have never bothered to learn either.

There is an open source version of notepad++ (Notepadqq) which I have been using for some small scripting. For most purposes though I just use the native notepad that comes with xubuntu (mousepad), or nano if I am working with system stuff from the terminal...
Yeah, you would just use a text editor that comes with the distro that was packaged for you.

But many would swear an oath to do it the hard way and use emacs and vim.

A professor in my college always wants us to use vim and print a reference card to refer to or we don't get marks.
(Feb 09, 2021, 18:26 pm)RobertX Wrote: Yeah, you would just use a text editor that comes with the distro that was packaged for you.

But many would swear an oath to do it the hard way and use emacs and vim.

A professor in my college always wants us to use vim and print a reference card to refer to or we don't get marks.

It's all about what you feel comfy using.

They usually have an emacs thread over at 4chan's /g/ if you wanna spy on the emacs community. This one should be accessible for the next 4-8 hours or so: https://boards.4channel.org/g/thread/80092176

Also your professor is a dick tbh.
Well, there are worse.

I remember hearing from a friend telling me that one of his friends' profs (or "friend of a friend of a friend") would do "negative marking."

Marks will go under 0 and be in the negative range, like -40/50.

Technically, if you don't hand in your assignment, you just get 0, and higher than someone who spent blood, sweat, and tears on the same thing. What do you think about that?
I use Sublime Text and BBEdit on the desktop, and Nano or Vim on the command line. If Nano isn't available, Vim is.

I'm not hardcore enough to commit to Vim or Emacs exclusively.

If you are going to go through the trouble to learn something, learn Vim. You are almost certain to find it on any terminal you sit in front of.
Well, installing it from another package manager is not a problem by my dictionary at any day.

EDIT: No one really uses one editor exclusively, do they? No "one size fits all?"

EDIT: Just found this: a tutorial of vim: https://openvim.com
Uisning vi style editors is like using edlin for programming. Power at the price of unnecessary complexity.

In Linux I use the default editor of mc or else doublecommander. Kate or gedit elsewise.

In Win its Far or notepad+. Rarely an IDE.

While emacs is essentailly an OS in itself, its 1982 framework makes its complexity stumble over itself.
The simpler a toolchain the better it is for creativity.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  VIM RobertX 4 20,478 Jan 17, 2018, 11:14 am
Last Post: hypno-potamous