handbrake RIPPING DVDs
hi

i want to rip a few of my DVDs and end up with a file size of 700mb/1GB  

basically the same as a standard rip

can someone give me some guidance as to what are the best preset/setting to use to achieve this ?

source is 720x576 

mp4 or mkv file ?

h.264

framerate 30

Quality - contant quality 22

audio AAC 160 or 192 or should i choose quality number 5 ?

thanks
Try to do a 60 sec test (trial) of chap 3 or 4, chap 1 may have credits and logo junk and is not a good reference.
Aim for a file that's about 10mb, for a 90 min film would come out to about 900mb. If it's less than, then increase your quality, if more decrease.
Use as slow a encoding rate you can stand (very slow), this will yield either better quality rips or smaller file size.
If you are just learning, there will be some trial & error. Once you find the settings you like, you can create presets.

MP4 is fine for many things (it's just a container), but if you want to have multiple sound tracks & subtitles use .mkv as it is more versatile.
thanks Faithwyn
will do a few trial and error runs to see how they come out
in preferences/video
does it make much difference if you tick 'Enable Intel QuickSync Encoder' ? or the corresponding one for your chipset (AMD VCE Encoder/Nvidia NVNC Encoder)

thanks
I can't help, so apologies there, but are you using the continued 64-bit edition of Handbrake?

And you do use AnyDVD with it right? Or is it libdvdcss?

EDIT: Something that might help if you're still onto the problem: you might want to use the Legacy -> Normal preset.
have you tried the operations guide? https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.2.0/intro...start.html

it explains the functions and various settings of the program.
thanks

decided to keep the Intel QuickSync off

and to use the fast preset

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ripping videos lossessly from Amazon. cthane 0 8,422 Jan 05, 2022, 00:06 am
Last Post: cthane
  I used handbrake to turn a 11 gig video to a 3 gig video BUT... LadyAnn2 6 12,871 Aug 31, 2021, 23:32 pm
Last Post: maskaw
  Ripping music from youtube sucks. soulcity 3 10,843 Sep 28, 2020, 04:36 am
Last Post: RodneyYouPlonker
  Brand vs. Price in Blank DVDs RobertX 4 9,857 Jul 27, 2020, 22:49 pm
Last Post: RobertX
  How to encode using handbrake? Help Needed thegreenmy 3 9,630 Jun 30, 2020, 11:41 am
Last Post: QiikSand