Poll: Are recent M,K,B rifftrax releases still on par with their best work?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, some of their best
18.75%
9 18.75%
No, bit of a decline
60.42%
29 60.42%
Unsure / idk
20.83%
10 20.83%
Total 48 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

VIRUS may be the most disappointing riff yet
on the topic of riffs being disappointing...

IMHO  - Frank and Trace speaking their minds freely is one of the best things about their riffs. 
Let's be honest here, would you say the same thing if all of their comments were pro-MAGA stuff?"

Oh of course I wouldnt enjoy that. And I'm completely open and honest about it. The only reason I like them speaking so freely is because I share their point of view 95% of the time. (Frank's a bit neo-lib at times for me).
so yeah I am completely honest and upfront about that. 
Imho, the important part is if the riff is punching up, rather than down. That can be tough sometimes to figure out, from certain perspectives.

the other part I will leave unaddressed because its topic adjacent but maybe too far out.
I posted a depressing as all flip diatribe here recently so in the spirit of optimism I just wanna say the Lancelot riff was the best this year. Movie hit that sweet spot of bad and interesting and the old familiar riffing energy was there. I was wrong, regardless of broader cultural stuff the trio can still riff with the best of them, so long as they have the right kind of PD movie.
(Oct 04, 2024, 12:04 pm)javelinbunny Wrote: I posted a depressing as all flip diatribe here recently so in the spirit of optimism I just wanna say the Lancelot riff was the best this year. Movie hit that sweet spot of bad and interesting and the old familiar riffing energy was there. I was wrong, regardless of broader cultural stuff the trio can still riff with the best of them, so long as they have the right kind of PD movie.

The Initial Trio, yes.

The newcomers, no.

I appreciate your sincerity, and that you properly explained your position re riff-comedy, and that included the context of public-domain material.  Well done.

The votes are now 30 "against", 8 "for", 9 "abstaining".

Draw your own conclusions.
"re riff-comedy"

That is made up and doesn't exist.
(Oct 10, 2024, 02:27 am)Davidia Wrote: "re: riff-comedy"

That is made up ...

All words are made up.
[Image: afprUC.gif]
I love creating rem lezar. I can't bring myself to watch beautiful gamera restorations
not everything ages well
I'm dreaming of a dream
(Oct 10, 2024, 02:27 am)Davidia Wrote: "re riff-comedy"

That is made up and doesn't exist.

"Malapropism" exists, as a term, as a word, and comes from a comedic-character in a play. (Which we both know *you* did not know before the term was being referenced here, and now.)

It's been in all reputable dictionaries for yonks.  It "exists".

But the more important and germane question to any non emotionalist person is this:  Do you draw a disparity between "vaudeville" and the initial years of what is properly considered the advent of "stand-up" comedy, yes or no?
[Image: amN310.gif]
And that, dear NRB, is a perfect underscoring of what I have been saying.  "Visual" and "Cheap" over substance and context.  Many thanks.  Especially (and I say this as a retired illustrator), you magnificently illustrated (albeit using a gif) the differential between "talented funny people" and "Dunning Kruger"  embarrassments to us all.  You "get" the sublime waltz between subtext and context; I dig that. Ya know why?

BECAUSE that's what any riffer with even a modicum of talent does.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hor-RIFF-ics Oh_Hi_Mark 3 771 Sep 27, 2024, 18:21 pm
Last Post: Oh_Hi_Mark
  Riff adjacent: Repo Man (1984) TV edit drawnbyjohn 5 994 Sep 14, 2024, 23:13 pm
Last Post: Meat Trademark
  (req) Virus - A GrimTrax Feature MATMAN 23 4,631 Jul 14, 2024, 21:33 pm
Last Post: NotRichBatman
  The Most Dangerous Game (blu-ray upgrade) billythefist 4 3,745 Jun 21, 2024, 00:55 am
Last Post: JetJaguar73
  May live show JusSonic 4 1,838 Apr 16, 2024, 02:21 am
Last Post: intransitivelie