TOR and HTTPS
Does anyone know how the corporate a-holes are putzing up TOR, and what the implications are for the TOR community in general?

I see more and more often lately that the TOR site is down, while the HTTPS site is up.

The problem I have of course is *where* is the HTTPS site up!!!

My VPN give me about two dozen countries, and I have had fairly good luck with Singapore and Italy, but they are frequently down on HTTPS too.

Are these all ddos attacks? And how does one do that with TOR nodes? Unless, well, of course the obvious (Big Brother).
Some links to help with the subject.

https://www.torproject.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_%28ano...network%29
A tor hidden service is still an endpoint. DDOS is no different in tor-land.

More likely is those who can do something aren't aware it is currently malfunctioning. No need to dream up any conspiracy theories.
(Dec 16, 2018, 19:58 pm)Moe Wrote: No need to dream up any conspiracy theories.

That sounds like something someone trying to hide a conspiracy would suggest.
It's unclear what you're asking.

Corporations dislike Tor because it makes their job harder (for example having to rate limit logins and block Tor if they use a corporate web filter). Some like Facebook are embracing it and even run their own Tor Onion Service.

Connections to a Tor Hidden Service do not need HTTPS because they're already end to end encrypted and also benefit from location privacy. Some sites like Facebook still use HTTPS on their Onion Service (multiple layers of crypto rarely hurt you and often add in additional security properties leading to a better experience for everyone).

Tor itself isn't sending out DDOS Attacks however some Tor users might be malicious. And attack scripts aren't really difficult to write. Just send lots of HTTP Requests proxied over Tor at once - any competent computer programmer can write a multi-threaded parallel loop to send out several requests per second per machine. Want to be an a** who sends attacks? Pick up a book on programming and read through it, basic googling could find prewritten scripts for you though Undecided
Situation: TOR down, HTTPS up.
Considering TOR is essentially a tunnelled rerouting service, if the HTTPS service is up, I would assume the TOR service should be also. Wouldnt a TOR DDNS attack take out the HTTPS service also?
In my limited understanding a TOR server is the same as an HTTPS one. TOR obfuscates the HTTPS URL. Perhaps I am wrong.
Perhaps its the nodes being DDOS'd .

And when HTTPS is up, it is often accessible from limited locations. Perhaps TPB has multiple mirrors.
An idea where these mirror are roughly located might be helpful in setting up VPN connections to them. Especially when TOR is down.

The latest thing I'm seeing on my VPN are problems with OpenDNS and certificates. I looks like they are under attack by something putzing up certifications. Often I cant even get into my own site due to it. Off the VPN I can connect fine.
Tor is probably closest in operation to a proxy. It is not a server as it does not host anything, nor does it obfuscate anything. If the endpoint, in this case the hidden service, is having issues, tor may be nonfunctional while the clear web service is working.
(Dec 15, 2018, 22:08 pm)waregim Wrote: I see more and more often lately that the TOR site is down, while the HTTPS site is up.

If you are referring to TPB status page showing the HTTPS site as being up and the TOR site being down, then (more likely) the status page is just sc%#$-ed up (or something similar) and TPB is plain just down.

At least, that was how I was taking the situation.

Everything (https & tor) is now up for me for the past couple of days. Hopefully, it stays that way for a LONG while.

Regards.
Let's all run around screaming.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using tor to torrent Fistandantilus 3 4,986 May 18, 2023, 09:17 am
Last Post: RodneyYouPlonker
  How do I access TPB using TOR ? LadyAnn2 6 20,446 Aug 15, 2021, 20:51 pm
Last Post: ill88eagle
  Pirate Browser and Tor Browser? Black.Knyght 2 11,373 Mar 30, 2020, 16:02 pm
Last Post: liluser
  technology forums in tor network?? NoHat 0 8,618 Feb 11, 2020, 09:20 am
Last Post: NoHat