(REQ) Ouija Shark
You might think that by now we’d surely hit the bottom of the low-budget shark movie barrel. Well, you’d be right!

We hit the bottom of that barrel years ago, then broke through its chum-encrusted surface, and have burrowed deep below the barrel to previously unimagined depths. And in those depths, we found a basement. And inside a closet in that basement, behind a stack of old water-damaged jigsaw puzzles, there was a Ouija board. And inside that board, there was…. you guessed it. Ouija Shark!

Ouija Shark was made by the same people as Jurassic Shark. In fact, the same small rural lake with a gravel beach appears in both films! Our story begins when a young woman on her way to meet up with her friends for a girls’ weekend finds a Ouija board washed up on that gravel beach. Oddly, instead of avoiding the damp children’s toy at all costs, she picks it up and takes it with her to the girls’ rental house. Once she’s there, we quickly learn two things: one, she doesn’t really know these other women at all, and two, they have no plans for the weekend except to sit by the pool and complain. Out of desperation, they give the Ouija board a spin, and wouldn’t you know it, wind up releasing a flying ghost shark demon in the process. Your mom told you not to mess with those boards for a reason!

The ghost shark heads immediately to the area where sharks are famously most comfortable: the woods. Yes, we’ve got a poorly-rendered spectral shark flying among the trees and chomping people. Which, to be fair, we’ve never seen in a shark movie before. Not that we should have, or ever wanted to, but it undeniably exists, and that’s something!
Can the woman and her acquaintances defeat the big flying fish? Which one of them is the “Quint” of the group? Grab a board and summon Mike, Kevin and Bill for the journey into the watery occult that is Ouija Shark!

P.S. Stick around for the end to witness one of the most astonishing “presidential” impressions ever committed to film.

Written by: Mike Nelson, Bill Corbett, Conor Lastowka, Sean Thomason, Jason Miller and Zachary Shatzer
Filmed on a budget of $300. Not a joke.

Garbage like this is one reason I stopped buying their mainstream (Mike, Kevin, & Bill) riffs. This is not a sincere effort by RiffTrax to "make movies funny". It's a cynical piece of crap they can slap "RiffTrax" on, shovel out to Amazon and Tubi, and hope that enough people accidentally leave it running long enough that they get a few bucks out of it.
(May 24, 2024, 14:00 pm)NexusWraith Wrote: Filmed on a budget of $300. Not a joke.

Direct-to-dumpster garbage like this is one reason I stopped buying their mainstream (Mike, Kevin, & Bill) riffs. This is not a sincere effort by RiffTrax to "make movies funny". It's a piece of crap they can slap "RiffTrax" on, shovel out to Amazon and Tubi, and hope that enough people accidentally leave it running long enough that they get a few bucks out of it.

Yeah, these types of modern "intentionally cheap/crappy" productions are usually not good for even riffing.  They don't have the earnestness of cheap productions from the 90s and earlier, or the interesting trainwreck status of Hollywood failures.  

Although considering Rifftrax puts out something every single week of the year, I'm perfectly fine with having a few weeks here and there that are "skippable".
(May 24, 2024, 14:10 pm)ageekyguy Wrote: Although considering Rifftrax puts out something every single week of the year, I'm perfectly fine with having a few weeks here and there that are "skippable".

100% this. Not everything is a masterpiece, I know my own art isn't.

Sometimes these shite movies make for surprisingly funny riffs.  Sometimes.
It is perfectly forgivable to not be HILARIOUS, ALL THE TIME, when you write for an hour’s worth of content once a week. But the movie being riffed needs to make up for that lost entertainment value by being even remotely watchable. (I bet we would all be much more tolerant of the unwatchable ones were MKB to truly bring the funny, but they write at a rate of a movie a week, so they are never fresh enough.)
I'm in and out of the hospital all week, so cheap, shite diversions like these ease the pain a bit. .
Here ya go mates. be well

HD MED 720 1.2gb

https://mega.nz/file/30dnnCZD#4iftj5JcV0...hMyvmv01gc

cc
https://mega.nz/file/Hl9j2SqB#vA37Ptyah4...FDMcnFVfgE
(May 24, 2024, 15:11 pm)enyalep Wrote: It is perfectly forgivable to not be HILARIOUS, ALL THE TIME, when you write for an hour’s worth of content once a week. But the movie being riffed needs to make up for that lost entertainment value by being even remotely watchable. (I bet we would all be much more tolerant of the unwatchable ones were MKB to truly bring the funny, but they write at a rate of a movie a week, so they are never fresh enough.)

Speaking of the rate of writing, I've noticed that the written by section of the Rifftrax pages rarely seem to include Kevin these days.  It's mostly Mike, Bill, Conor, Sean, and sometimes another writer or two.  Has he pretty much stepped back from writing and just sticking to being a performer at Rifftrax these days?
Thanks so much, Tadd. Hope you heal up better than new.
Thanks Tad.

Be well, sirs!
(May 24, 2024, 14:00 pm)NexusWraith Wrote: Filmed on a budget of $300. Not a joke.

Direct-to-dumpster garbage like this is one reason I stopped buying their mainstream (Mike, Kevin, & Bill) riffs. This is not a sincere effort by RiffTrax to "make movies funny". It's a piece of crap they can slap "RiffTrax" on, shovel out to Amazon and Tubi, and hope that enough people accidentally leave it running long enough that they get a few bucks out of it.

I agree with you 100%.  I wrote this comment back in 2021 and it unfortunately still holds true:  The Film Crew and early to mid Rifftrax (until they stopped riffing mainstream movies) was the Golden Age.

Watch the The Two Towers and/or The Return of the King (if you need them) and when it's all over I want you (not you specifically but you included) to tell me that the same company that created those is the same company that exists now.  Nowadays it takes a 6 figure Kickstarter stretch goal to force them to riff a Hollywood movie.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  She Gods of Shark Reef (MJB) peephalk 11 1,796 Aug 26, 2024, 15:17 pm
Last Post: intransitivelie
  Jurassic Shark peephalk 24 22,242 May 13, 2024, 17:16 pm
Last Post: JetJaguar73
  The Last Shark (HD upgrade) billythefist 8 5,669 Jul 27, 2023, 23:10 pm
Last Post: billythefist
  Jurassic Shark (blu-ray upgrade) billythefist 3 4,927 Jul 12, 2023, 12:37 pm
Last Post: jhs39
  Rifftrax The Last Shark HD boejob 12 13,951 Jul 16, 2022, 12:05 pm
Last Post: Johnny Mo