Need help with recovering files replaced with same named different files
I had few images in my computer. While copying some images from my phone I failed to notice the same names of the images but the images were different and I clicked yes for replacing the existing images in the computer. I would like to know if there is any way by which I can retrieve the images which I replaced with the new files.

I know and have used data recovery softwares which help in recovering files if they are deleted or the drive is formatted/corrupt but I have not deleted my files and rather replaced them with different files with the same names.

Please do let me know if there is any way with which I can get my old files
Have you tried any recovery software till now. If so, please mention your progress on that, so that members can help out.
* Do mention which OS and file system is in use.

Have a look at 'Volume Shadow Copy Service' feature. Right-click on a replaced file 'Properties' and check the 'Previous Versions' tab. (Mine is empty because the service is not running in my Win 7).

Renaming a file may be implemented as deletion followed by creation of new file. At some level, one could say it is the same. Perhaps someone else has info. on this.
1. First thing to do is stop using the laptop/PC your having the file issues with as the more you use it, the more info your writing to disk the less your chances of recovering anything.
2. Image the disk to an external HDD.
3. Take the disk out of the laptop/PC and replace it with another disk.
4. Place the image from step 2 back onto the replacement disk.
5. Get a copy of R-Studio and run it on the disk to see if you can recover any of the original files. Once it's complete, copy any recovered files to an external HDD or Thumb Drive.
6. Now image the drive again from your image taken in step 2.
7. Get a copy of File Scavenger and run it on the disk to see if you can recover any of the original files. Once it's complete, copy any recovered files to an external HDD or Thumb Drive.

Both the softwares i've mentioned are forensic recovery tools (and can be found on torrent sites with a little searching) that i've used in the past with a fairly good rate of success.

You could also try System Restore Explorer to check for a restore point you could mount that was pre file overwrite:

http://nicbedford.co.uk/software/systemrestoreexplorer/

Best of luck
If you replaced the file, it is gone, it will have overwritten the data, ie replaced the data in the file, you may be able to recover some portions but in all likelihood it will be unusable :/
deleting is different from replacing.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  installing 3d design softaware on LICENSED WINDOWS LAPTOP ... NEED HELP. max143278 0 4,149 Jul 18, 2023, 01:14 am
Last Post: max143278
  How to Combine Windows 11 SKUs from Different images that Do Different Things RobertX 10 7,308 Apr 23, 2023, 21:20 pm
Last Post: RobertX
  I need a program to change language in video files cooltwou 6 11,146 Sep 14, 2021, 17:45 pm
Last Post: cooltwou
  Not able to download any torrents. Tried on 2 different networks. jasmine_tea_ 3 14,650 Jan 10, 2021, 12:58 pm
Last Post: Moe
  Different Servers Accessable from Different Countries??¿ Atriarchy 3 12,528 Jul 08, 2020, 23:57 pm
Last Post: Atriarchy