Need help uploading a few torrents
Firstly, I apologize if this isnt the correct forum for such a request. Feel free to move it to the appropriate forum if needed.

Ive been trying for a couple of years now to get a few torrents uploaded to not only TPB but other torrent sites as well and have not been able to. It seems like all the sites either have registration disabled or torrent uploading disabled. Ive bought a few DVDs and ripped them because i could not find the exact copies (or in one case any copy) that I was looking for on any of the torrent sites that I typically use. I have the torrents files created and Im seeding them but is there any way I could send someone with an existing account the torrents so they can be uploaded to TPB, or anywhere else you want? Id really like to make these available to others somehow. If Im just a noob and Im not understanding how to go about doing this myself then please feel free to point me in the right direction. Smile

Side question, Why do all these sites seem to not be accepting new accounts or uploads? Just curious.
New registrations were closed due to excessive fake torrents and comments too. This is mentioned by some other users in other threads.

As to sharing, you could try your hand at ipfs and post it in the 'Promote your shares' section here like others do.

This tutorial might help getting started.
Disclaimer: I've not tried ipfs, but looks fairly straightforward.

PS: You can use 'General Discussion' forum, when in doubt.
So other than someone posting a CID here in these forums, Are there repositories for browsing CIDs you might want to download? Cant seem to find much about how people go about finding the CIDs on google other than someone sending it to you.
There is some mention of search engines, but i have no idea how good they are.
I only mentioned IPFS as i've seen it used here and in one other popular file sharing place.

IPFS seems to make sense only when others too start using the software. Else, you will be the only 'node' doing the sharing. That is no different from uploading to a single server.

You are probably better off sharing your files as torrents here. You can share the magnet link and the title and a description if possible.
A forum thread, also makes it easier to request for re-seeding.
(Jun 02, 2023, 01:04 am)SectorVector Wrote: There is some mention of search engines, but i have no idea how good they are.
I only mentioned IPFS as i've seen it used here and in one other popular file sharing place.

IPFS seems to make sense only when others too start using the software. Else, you will be the only 'node' doing the sharing. That is no different from uploading to a single server.

You are probably better off sharing your files as torrents here. You can share the magnet link and the title and a description if possible.
A forum thread, also makes it easier to request for re-seeding.

Ok, so I went and made a torrent and stuffed it full of every tracker I could find, including the pirate bay tracker from this forum, turned it in to a magent link and gave the magnet link and the torrent to two friends who both tried to download it. It pulls down the metadata and shows the title and that there is 1 seeder but it never starts downloading the file. Got any bones you can throw a noob? Ive never tried to do this before but it seems like its pretty basic. Not sure why this isnt working.
Are you able to download torrents, otherwise ?

Which client are you using ? Try your luck with another client (qbittorrent ?)

Add necessary port-forwarding rules in your router. This tells the router to permit incoming connections to a IPTongueort.
Google it. Lots of info. Write back if you need clarification.

If your 'DHT' is working, you don't even need trackers.
Don't add trackers which don't work. There is no 'piratebay tracker' anymore.

Edit: To begin with, try stopping and starting the torrent. Try a couple of times. Both you + friend.
(Jun 07, 2023, 00:54 am)SectorVector Wrote: Are you able to download torrents, otherwise ?

Which client are you using ? Try your luck with another client (qbittorrent ?)

Add necessary port-forwarding rules in your router. This tells the router to permit incoming connections to a IPTongueort.
Google it. Lots of info. Write back if you need clarification.

If your 'DHT' is working, you don't even need trackers.
Don't add trackers which don't work. There is no 'piratebay tracker' anymore.

Edit: To begin with, try stopping and starting the torrent. Try a couple of times. Both you + friend.

I can download torrents fine and I can seed anything I download so I dont believe its a port issue.

I am using qbittorrent currently.

What is DHT and how do I know if its working?
It does seem that most of the trackers Ive found and added dont work going off of what I see under the "trackers" tab under the torrent but a few of them do seem to be valid. It sounds like I shouldnt even bother with trackers though if I can verify my "DHT" is working?

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
Usually DHT is enabled in the torrent clients.
It is under Tools > Options > Bittorrent.
This article might be of some help. It explains what all the Options mean in qBittorrent client.
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorre...Bittorrent

The DHT protocol allows peers to discover each other without the need for a third-party tracker. It thus does away with the need for the tracker.
DHT works over UDP. So, you should be able to make outgoing UDP connections.
At the bottom of your qbittorrent window you will find 'DHT : xxx nodes". If non-zero, you can assume it works Smile

In the article linked above, do look up port forwarding and linked article.

In qbittorrent client, under Tools > Connections, you will find 'Port used for incoming connections'.
Configure your router to allow TCP+UDP connections to that port.
Look up your router model in the 'Routers' section on this site for necessary steps. https://portforward.com/

A shortcut to connecting with a torrent peer, is to add your peer's (friend's) 'IP: port' to the 'Add Peer' section of Peers tab in your client.
For this, get your friend's WAN IP and listen port (from above).
If his WAN IP is say a.b.c.d and the port he is using is NNNN add a.b.c.d:NNNN through 'Add Peer'.

For WAN IP use a site like ifconfig.me
port is the one above in Tools > Connections (of your peer, not yours)

I hope it works.
(Jun 09, 2023, 06:26 am)SectorVector Wrote: Usually DHT is enabled in the torrent clients.
It is under Tools > Options > Bittorrent.
This article might be of some help. It explains what all the Options mean in qBittorrent client.
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorre...Bittorrent

The DHT protocol allows peers to discover each other without the need for a third-party tracker. It thus does away with the need for the tracker.
DHT works over UDP. So, you should be able to make outgoing UDP connections.
At the bottom of your qbittorrent window you will find 'DHT : xxx nodes". If non-zero, you can assume it works Smile

In the article linked above, do look up port forwarding and linked article.

In qbittorrent client, under Tools > Connections, you will find 'Port used for incoming connections'.
Configure your router to allow TCP+UDP connections to that port.
Look up your router model in the 'Routers' section on this site for necessary steps. https://portforward.com/

A shortcut to connecting with a torrent peer, is to add your peer's (friend's) 'IP: port' to the 'Add Peer' section of Peers tab in your client.
For this, get your friend's WAN IP and listen port (from above).
If his WAN IP is say a.b.c.d and the port he is using is NNNN add a.b.c.d:NNNN through 'Add Peer'.

For WAN IP use a site like ifconfig.me
port is the one above in Tools > Connections (of your peer, not yours)

I hope it works.

Ok, So DHT is working (356 nodes currently)

Went in to my router and set port forwarding for the port that my qBT app is using for both UDP and TCP incoming connections per the instructions on portforward.com.

I recreated the torrent without adding any trackers by going to Tools > Torrent Creator. Pointed it to the file on my PC, left all the other settings defaulted or blank and then hit "Create Torrent" at the bottom. This creates a .torrrent file and it appears in qBT as "Seeding" but now that there arent any trackers its showing zero seeders. Before it was showing 1 seeder, Im assuming because I was seeding it. Im assuming that it supposed show 1 seeder or is this normal when not using trackers?

Then I right click on the entry in qBT go to Copy > Magnet Link and send that magnet link to my friend. Am I creating the torrent and the magnet link correctly? I dont understand for the life of me why this isnt working.
Check you friend's PC too. Hope he is able to download torrents normally.
Ensure Windows firewall is not blocking qBT traffic. Control Panel > Monitoring > View Firewall Rules.

In case either one of you is using a VPN, ensure you are using a server which supports torrenting. There is usually some indication on the VPN Control Panel on your PC, as to which servers support torrenting.

If all is good, just try your luck posting the magnet in Promote your Shares section.
Having 2-3 working trackers, when creating the torrent, is helpful. So, keep it for now.
Pray to God (if you are a believer) and post it at an auspicious time. :-)

Edit: Are you seeding other torrents ? If so pause them. Upload Slots may have filled up. Tools > Options > Connection.
Also, try a different torrent client, FWIW.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  need help Aras 4 5,436 Apr 09, 2023, 08:47 am
Last Post: dueda
  How to narrow down searches with few characters? Hard2ComeBy 2 6,405 Nov 10, 2022, 07:49 am
Last Post: Hard2ComeBy
  Need Help downloading videos from radiopedia.org Pirate_Sam 4 8,610 Aug 31, 2022, 13:33 pm
Last Post: Pirate_Sam
  I need some help Fant0men 9 10,366 Jul 28, 2022, 06:42 am
Last Post: am a giant
  Need help with a google search for arabic results LadyAnn 0 9,052 Jan 03, 2022, 12:32 pm
Last Post: LadyAnn