Looking for a good operating system? Look no further, Windows has your back!
(Oct 06, 2020, 07:29 am)ill88eagle Wrote: Install printer on windows: Wait 30+ minutes for windows update to tell you it can't find a suitable driver. Then download 60+mb exe from HP or whomever (if that printer is till supported) with a 10kb driver and 59mb telemetry shit that stays in your systray monitoring everything you do and phoning home while eating up resources. AND THE PRINTER WONT WORK WITHOUT THE SPYWARE!

Install printer on loonix: Open generic drivers that works with 99% of printers are already in the repos (and likely bundled with your distro). Just open 'printers'  from settings and chances are the system already detected it and chose the appropriate driver.

Excluding installing Windows (not apps or drivers) updates on an old Windows install, I've never had to wait for that long for any kind of notifications.

Keep your fear-mongering to The Void
Based thread, based OP. Been using Linux as my only OS for ten years and people keep telling me I can't do anything in Linux, but I'm not sure what they're talking about.
(Oct 06, 2020, 09:43 am)Q91 Wrote:
(Oct 06, 2020, 07:29 am)ill88eagle Wrote: Install printer on windows: Wait 30+ minutes for windows update to tell you it can't find a suitable driver. Then download 60+mb exe from HP or whomever (if that printer is till supported) with a 10kb driver and 59mb telemetry shit that stays in your systray monitoring everything you do and phoning home while eating up resources. AND THE PRINTER WONT WORK WITHOUT THE SPYWARE!

Install printer on loonix: Open generic drivers that works with 99% of printers are already in the repos (and likely bundled with your distro). Just open 'printers'  from settings and chances are the system already detected it and chose the appropriate driver.

Excluding installing Windows (not apps or drivers) updates on an old Windows install, I've never had to wait for that long for any kind of notifications.

Keep your fear-mongering to The Void

I've dealt with 100+ exam students having to access one network printer and similar school IT shit since 2010 so kindly zip it. I am not fear mongering. Here's an email we received last week at the school I'm currently at, from the printer reseller company:

my own translation Wrote:Dear xxx

We can see that our surveillance program xxx.exe is no longer running on your server

Kindly locate the program and run it or maybe restart the server

I shit you not
(Oct 06, 2020, 09:41 am)Q91 Wrote: Why is this thread not in the Void?

I posted it originally to void, but decided that it was right on the cusp of not being a shitpost, and I decided that general would reach a broader audience. Even though it is pretty playful I do raise some very valid points albeit in some snarky ways.
I hate win10 and I use MS stuff

I'll never downgrade to 10
As a rule, people who use Windows 10 and like to Pirate things like most people do on here.  Win10 should only be used by IT professionals and not amateurs.  If the amateurs are going to go on about Windows 10 and complain so much they just really need to stick to their Linux Mint or something along those lines.  Taking out the telemetry on Windows 10 is not as easy as you'd think so you really need to have more knowledge about what you're doing.  The bottom line about Windows 10, there is no free lunch and it's for those people who are more wealthy in life and that can afford such luxuries IE lots of new hardware that costs into the thousands.  It's for the rich people is Windows 10 and I'm not talking about some computer bought from a department store I'm talking about people who build themselves and design their own systems with high value in mind.  If you want to play the latest games and you have the latest cards to run them on then really Win10 is a must as most of the best games are ported to that platform.
(Oct 06, 2020, 16:47 pm)RodneyYouPlonker Wrote: As a rule, people who use Windows 10 and like to Pirate things like most people do on here.  Win10 should only be used by IT professionals and not amateurs.  If the amateurs are going to go on about Windows 10 and complain so much they just really need to stick to their Linux Mint or something along those lines.  Taking out the telemetry on Windows 10 is not as easy as you'd think so you really need to have more knowledge about what you're doing.

Is this bait? I very much disagree with this. Linux mint, despite being quite simple, still has a steeper learning curve than Win10.

And furthermore, if you do end up using linux (maybe not linux mint since Canonical has done some shady stuff in the past) you don't even have to bother with removing telemetry in the first place. It's just not there. If you don't like telemetry, the solution is to change the software you use, not to become an IT professional and jump through countless hoops to try to edit largely un-editable software that is designed to watch you.
(Oct 06, 2020, 16:57 pm)hyp Wrote: If you don't like telemetry, the solution is to change the software you use, not to become an IT professional and jump through countless hoops to try to edit largely un-editable software that is designed to watch you.

Well, I'm not making things up, you can actually disable all features in Windows 10 that provides any kind of spying. You can do all that while at the same time you still allow Windows 10 to update normally. I have been using Win10 for over 5 years now so I've been enjoying the operating system for quite a large amount of time. You can believe or state anything you want but I know from my own findings and what's possible with it. I have no need or urge to go and install any kind of Linux distro as I'm quite happy with what I use already. Heck the amount of Piracy that I've already managed to achieve these last few years, speaks for itself and all this work I've done within Windows and lots of people are really pleased how I have gone about achieving my goals. All my programs in Windows 10 all work perfect and run really well, in some cases you can't do certain things in Linux as I've said before only Mac and Windows. There is one thing I do which is brilliant and I'm very happy which you can't do in Linux. It is simply for people who are well off and have money and can buy a really nice system not somebody who is running an old system that's well out of date and still need to keep the thing going. Windows 10 is all about having all the latest gear and making sure it's all running right so really being a professional does help a lot.
(Oct 06, 2020, 16:47 pm)RodneyYouPlonker Wrote: The bottom line about Windows 10, there is no free lunch and it's for those people who are more wealthy in life and that can afford such luxuries [...] It's for the rich people
(Oct 06, 2020, 17:08 pm)RodneyYouPlonker Wrote: It is simply for people who are well off and have money and can buy a really nice system not somebody who is running an old system that's well out of date and still need to keep the thing going. Windows 10 is all about having all the latest gear and making sure it's all running right so really being a professional does help a lot.

In other words, windows for you is a marker of economic class like say, what brand of wine one can afford to buy?

But why would I pay for something that is objectively worse than what I can get for free? Just to show off my spending capabilities?

Did you grow up in a poor home?
(Oct 06, 2020, 19:16 pm)ill88eagle Wrote: In other words, windows for you is a marker of economic class like say, what brand of wine one can afford to buy?

But why would I pay for something that is objectively worse than what I can get for free? Just to show off my spending capabilities?

Did you grow up in a poor home?

I don't drink wine, I have a much better computer system than you that is worth much more money so therefore I run Windows 10 because my hardware can handle the power and finally I grew up in a household which incomparison to Queen Elizabeth, is infact very poor indeed we couldn't even afford carpets we had to stick bits of carpet on our feet so it felt like we had something quality to walk on instead of floor boarding Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Commentary: Piracy is good, really RobertX 1 828 Feb 18, 2024, 17:52 pm
Last Post: Fawkesguy
  What has happened to the fun at SB? snilloc 24 42,469 Feb 15, 2024, 16:30 pm
Last Post: lustrous
  Peter Sunde / Brokep recent interview "No one does tech for good " ProxyDuck 7 1,834 Jan 29, 2024, 19:34 pm
Last Post: lustrous
  Is this a good idea? Ladyanne3 17 2,969 Jan 15, 2024, 21:00 pm
Last Post: Ladyanne3
  Movies So Good: "It'll Makes Ya Wanna Slap Your Momma!" TedDekker 3 2,461 Dec 31, 2023, 22:28 pm
Last Post: dickhead