Poll: What do you use?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
IDE
53.33%
8 53.33%
Barebones
46.67%
7 46.67%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

IDEs: Integral, or just convenient?
When you guys use PHP, Java, or C/C++, do you normally use an IDE like Netbeans or Eclipse or do you just rely on the barebones notepad program/compiler/interpreter alone?
(Feb 11, 2023, 01:51 am)RobertX Wrote: When you guys use PHP, Java, or C/C++, do you normally use an IDE like Netbeans or Eclipse or do you just rely on the barebones notepad program/compiler/interpreter alone?

PHP -> Dreamweaver + Notepad++ + Bing AI
Hmm...

Is it just me or am I a hypocrite if I say using Dreamweaver is bad practice when coding web pages, especially PHP ones?
(Mar 10, 2023, 12:34 pm)RobertX Wrote: Is it just me or am I a hypocrite if I say using Dreamweaver is bad practice when coding web pages, especially PHP ones?

I don't know of hypocrite is the right word.

But Dreamweaver doesn't support any modern version of PHP, so I wouldn't go near it for that reason alone.

For PHP, I don't use an IDE. I use Sublime Text and deploy to a local VM. I guess you can call that a non-integrated development environment.

I supposed if it were my full time job, I'd probably use one of the JetBrains packages. They are highly rated.
PHP on Notepad++
C/C++ on Visual Studio 2003, 2012, depending on needs, but might even use mingw/clang
It really depends on the individual and their preferences. Some developers prefer to use an IDE such as Netbeans or Eclipse, while others prefer to use a text editor like Notepad or Vim and a command line compiler/interpreter.
Used command line most of my life, but sometimes also IDEs - although I quit programming decades ago.
My personal opinion: Like 6000-function, icon-infested word processors, IDEs have useful tools but overdo it; they make you waste time learning and then using them, instead of just tackling the job at hand.
(Feb 11, 2023, 01:51 am)RobertX Wrote: When you guys use PHP, Java, or C/C++, do you normally use an IDE like Netbeans or Eclipse or do you just rely on the barebones notepad program/compiler/interpreter alone?

Personally, when I work with languages like PHP, Java, or C/C++, I tend to use an IDE like Netbeans or Eclipse. I find that the features offered by these tools, such as code completion, debugging, and version control integration, are incredibly useful and help me be more productive. That being said, I know some developers prefer to use a simple text editor or a lightweight IDE, depending on their needs and preferences. Ultimately, it comes down to what works best for each individual developer and project Shy
Personally speaking, I like PHP, especially for bigger web-app projects. I've been learning Laravel recently (a popular PHP framework with lots of cool features), and it goes great with my workflow. Using VSCodium as my IDE, though I used to just use Neovim.
I use a Text editor (gedit) with Makefile for any language. It's good to see things working in the barebones.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just thought I'd contribute RobertX 5 19,519 Aug 28, 2015, 01:55 am
Last Post: RobertX