Does VIP mean you can get away with anything?
(Feb 18, 2018, 20:34 pm)LZA Wrote: Plus, I was taught that before I download, to check the comments...
First thing I would do if I got a virus would be to make a comment about it letting others know...

Most torrents I've seen have similar comments: a) "Virus! Don't download." b) "Noob! It is the crack." c) "**** *** ***hole!" and so on...
Many times an AV heuristic takes on a crack maneuver as harmful AND many times an AV detects piracy/cracking as "PUP".
But I've seen stuff changing my PC behaviour without any AV warning, just to find later, on an updated AV, that thing was baaad.
They are getting smarter. I format my PC two or tree times a year.

(Feb 18, 2018, 20:53 pm)Moe Wrote:
(Feb 17, 2018, 11:00 am)WildFire Wrote: Why keep paying for a server if I'm not making any profit.

I'd say you are doing it wrong.
If making a profit is an essential part of your uploading, then it is time to find a new hobby.

Instead of "income" what about "reinbursement" or "compensation" - like in to cover TCO - total cost of operation.

I agree a hobby should be paid by the person it is entertaining, as a postcard collection, a movie ticket or a nice meal.
But why can't it be self sustainable?

On second tough, piracy isn't always a hobby. 100% legal, copyright compliant file sharing is.
As polls around the internet show, many sharers do it for time, money, convenience or other reasons than just the fun of doing.

So TPB is just for hobby? Kinda of "I'm punk, let's let lose the monster and break copyright for the excitement, like Clockwork Orange" ?
Not violence, but the meaningless destructive thrill, I mean.

*What others, including TPB and RIAA, do is their business, as their opinions; I've mine and I'm not related to any.

EDIT: 
PS: Sorry if this post came too late. Last post I saw it could be relevant but after refreshing page, a lot of unnoticed stuff came to my attention (screen).
Anyway, please don't take it as stupidity or biased complaining or whatever. Just trying to understand how it work.

(Feb 19, 2018, 05:14 am)joew771 Wrote: So, if all this 'stealing' is hurting these other sites so badly, why are they still up and running and distributing torrents? It's been going on like that for years and years now.

Dude, it is like saying "Was fastfood harmful why you are still alive?" - nonsense, generic.
Has some logic but shallow, abstract, not fact based. We don't know here how much they wen thru neither how much they make, even harder estimate losts.
Someone close this back alley abortion of a thread please.
(Feb 19, 2018, 04:20 am)NikkiSix Wrote: so again what your saying is screw the sites that create that torrent meta data that have their own bills to pay because every tom dick and harry are free to steal your meta data and use their own pay per view host to dump them to TPB and profit for themselves which hurts the other sites

I was trying to be nice, but since you keep beating the same dead point, I am really saying screw you personally for thinking it is OK to pirate content, but not other people's meta-data.

Go re-read Sid's post. It sums things up much better than anything I have wrote.
(Feb 19, 2018, 04:20 am)NikkiSix Wrote: so again what your saying is screw the sites that create that torrent meta data that have their own bills to pay because every tom dick and harry are free to steal your meta data and use their own pay per view host to dump them to TPB and profit for themselves which hurts the other sites

There is a hypocrisy I'm hearing, which appears to be stemming from greed. You are freely stealing from the original creators, but get mad that someone is stealing from you??? I don't care how much "work" is done to set up a torrent. If you're in the piracy business, you shouldn't be shocked when someone pirates from you... This sounds like a case of pirating the pirate... If you found a way to make money off that, I don't agree with you but oh well... But don't get upset that someone is doing to you what you did to someone else... What are we, 12 years old??? This is not a good profession if you want to make money.. If you continue to be greedy and get mad someone is taking your $$, it'll consume you until it eats you from the inside out...

Now I bet you kinda know how it feels for some original creators when they lose money... Except you never created anything.
Copyright holders use copyright to obtain a monopoly in the market. The same with incumbent ISPs and their attacks to net neutrality, they want a monopoly. Their motivation is greed, the money they think they could steal with that monopoly.
So, fighting copyright is not about stealing anything, it's the opposite.

It's logical that people that monetize filesharing feel the same way that copyright holders. They see that a monopoly is more profitable, obviously. So they use the same idea of copyright to the things they think it can be used: metadata in the case of public torrents, artificial scarcity of data and bandwidth for private torrents.
Of course, this is just a travesty.

Inevitably the monetization of filesharing mimics an unregulated market, that will tend to a monopoly.

A bot that uploads in bulk, follows a pattern to that upload. And that pattern is none other than copyright holders marketing. So, instead of fighting them, they only make their marketing even more present. Uploading mass media marketed products you're not fighting copyright. You're not stealing anything, you're just another consumer that fantasizes with being an outlaw.

Taking filesharing as just a hobby is far more appropriate, because an individual uploads what he finds interesting, not what he thinks some torrents consumers would want. He doesn't monetize filesharing, doesn't see it as a market. Becoming some kind of professional uploader is not only idiotic, but against the essence of filesharing.

So, if those sites that monetize filesharing disappeared, that wouldn't be a bad thing at all.
NikkiSix,
The Pirate Bay even has pirate in the name, get it? All we want is torrents so we can watch videos, play games, utilize applications, read ebooks & zines, listen to audio-books & music and whatever else gets us through the night. So how about you stop trashing our VIP uploaders and put some booty on the table for the rest of us to share. We do not care if you steal the meta data or not and if you can make a buck at it mazel tov.
(Feb 21, 2018, 22:44 pm)BigDadE Wrote: NikkiSix,
The Pirate Bay even has pirate in the name, get it?  All we want is torrents so we can watch videos, play games, utilize applications, read ebooks & zines, listen to audio-books & music and whatever else gets us through the night.   So how about you stop trashing our VIP uploaders and put some booty on the table for the rest of us to share.  We do not care if you steal the meta data or not and if you can make a buck at it mazel tov.

If you are not sharing, Why are you caring? BigDadE Sid and Moe say it as nicely as it can get, take the hint.
(Feb 21, 2018, 23:27 pm)contrail Wrote: BigDadE Sid and Moe say it as nicely as it can get, take the hint.

lol. Dude, you don't have to paraphrase admins, you're not gonna get a treat.

Anyway, I don't think kopimi should be some kind of disguised consumerism. Hoarding copyrighted files you're not fighting copyright.
We're consumers. We are byproducts of a lifestyle obsession.
I think that the title of this thread is a little misleading

It could be ''Uploading TPB torrents to other sites for profit'' or something like that

Reading the current title you think that the topic of this thread is rules violations by VIP TPB members

As regards the essence of this matter, I think that the thread creator has a point because some uploaders that see their work exploited by others may get discouraged to
continue their uploads. (If this happens, the pirate community loses.)

On the other hand, posting material to many sites (even in this way) has the result of massive distribution of the content. This is good and helps the pirate community for sure. (More sources, more receivers)

To my mind, original torrent creators should think about the positive aspect of this situation, because anyway this is something that can't be controlled. The internet is vast and every person
has different purposes and beliefs.

Even piracy that seems something more selfless, can commercialized by people who want to gain profit. (Look what happens in private torrent trackers, donations, donations, donations... in order to have extra privileges in something pirated....)
Seems like skull or not the OP wants to cease such torrents publication on TPB - Wich is against their policies on free-sharing and anti-censorship.
Just he also seems to have a problem with some VIPs doing it. If originality is one of the criteria, he may have some reason.
But without data on how much is actually uploaded or just indexed/redirected, no conclusions can be made.

As I said before, those feeling offended could just add a message (even in the torrent title, if they'd like): Download only from XXX.
Maybe that's why some guys ask to make the title lenght bigger or insert links and pictures, etc.

Torrent sites have been doing it with text (nfo/readme) and even logo (jpg/avi) files and the result is torrent pollution:
Such a torrent includes a lot of files, in sequence, like "This was downloaded from XXX", as it is copied from one site to another.

Youtubers and bloggers encrypt-compress their uploads, password is in their site or within the video, leading most downloaders to see their ads.

It is annoying and let me think I'm being a little oppressed by those sites, but I try to understand. Just wish there would be other ways.

TPB is the less disruptive, more open torrent site I've seem, even if uniqueness is not enforced. So I'll just take it as good as it is.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Search for an AI video editor and get flooded with shit ! Ladyanne3 6 1,455 Jan 31, 2024, 21:36 pm
Last Post: Ladyanne3
  Peter Sunde / Brokep recent interview "No one does tech for good " ProxyDuck 7 1,845 Jan 29, 2024, 19:34 pm
Last Post: lustrous
  Best Place To Get 4K Movies? Also, Best Practices? How? TedDekker 5 2,188 Jan 05, 2024, 19:28 pm
Last Post: lustrous
  Dan Hicks song "How Can I Miss You..." medina_w 0 1,862 Dec 19, 2023, 13:25 pm
Last Post: medina_w
  Does a Slow HDD mean MUCH Slower Torrenting ? FloodTheWaves 6 6,257 Apr 26, 2023, 13:33 pm
Last Post: maskaw