Poll: Would you use a program like this?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
60.00%
3 60.00%
No
20.00%
1 20.00%
I already use something serving the same purpose
20.00%
1 20.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Auto-torrenting Program - Should I make this?
I realised that I do the same things every week:
-Tuesdays I download Marvel Agent of SHIELD and Supernatural
-Wednesdays I download Arrow and American Horror Story
-Thursdays I download Elementary
-Sundays I download The Walking Dead
etc.
Everytime I open up tpb, search for the show and use the ettv or eztv magnet.
Often, I'm busy or not home when they come out so I miss them by a day or two. My internet sucks so it take up to a few hours to download them so it's nice if I start them asap.

Thing is, none of those steps are particularly complicated and tpb is good enough that none of those steps even require human judgement. Which means I shouldn't be doing them manually.

I'm a software dev and a small app to automate the above process wouldn't take too much effort.

So, I thought I'd ask the community some things before I jump into it:
-Is there anything that already performs this function?
-Is this something that others would find useful? If it is, I'd make this a user-friendly customizable rule based app and open-source it*. Otherwise I'd just write some python scripts that I edit every time I want change something (like selected TV shows)
-Ideas, Comments or Thoughts?

*Basically, it would be an app that let's you create rules like:
[ettv],[thursdays 10pm+],[Keywords:"Elementary,HDTV"],[sizeMB:300,400]
And would have some method of resolving season and episode numbers from the torrent names without accidentally grabbing the wrong ones or duplicates.
When it finds the right torrent, it would grab the magnet link and open it with whatever torrent client is set as the default magnet link handler (or user defined torrent client).
If it can't find a torrent at the specified time, it tries again after a set amount of time for a set number of tries and generates a notification or log record when something isn't found (TV shows like to take random breaks).
etc.
(Nov 07, 2013, 05:51 am)slicedt Wrote: -Is there anything that already performs this function?

Yes, RSS feeds from your torrent-site-of-choice subscribed to from within an RSS-capable torrent client.

I would suggest you use EZTV's feeds, they're better than ours. Set them up here: http://ezrss.it/

You can learn how to configure uTorrent, being one such client, here: http://www.utorrent.com/help/guides/rss

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How should I split my project in different classes? RobertX 1 4,544 Jan 19, 2024, 08:16 am
Last Post: gulshan212
  [Userscript] Discogs Scout - auto search torrents and ect from Discogs site mUPPetsBrain 0 9,799 Jun 19, 2022, 18:00 pm
Last Post: mUPPetsBrain
  Where can I make my own website? WhySoCold 2 12,224 May 30, 2022, 03:32 am
Last Post: WhySoCold
  Does Anyone Program in C Anymore? RobertX 2 19,665 Jun 06, 2017, 15:26 pm
Last Post: RobertX
  What kinds of planning methods do you guys use before writing a program? RobertX 18 49,352 Feb 19, 2017, 03:51 am
Last Post: repayfriendship