1337x Staff Abandon “Insecure” Torrent Site, Start Over
[Image: 1337x.png]Without proper moderation any torrent site will turn into a swamp of fake files and malicious content.

This became painfully apparent earlier this year when The Pirate Bay was left unmoderated, and a similar situation is now taking place at 1337x.to.

The site, which is one of the most visited torrent sites on the Internet, has built up a strong community in recent years. As with most other sites the day-to-day operations are managed by admins and moderators, who volunteer their free time to dealing with spam and other inappropriate content.

After a redesign, however, the staffers have grown impatient with the site’s owner who failed to respond to various complaints. One of the most pressing issues is a security hole which allows others to hijack user accounts.

“The new design is full of bugs, leaving users unprotected and vulnerable to attacks. The owner has refused to fix those problems creating dissension in the ranks,” former 1337x moderator ‘The Ghost’ informs TF.

The vulnerabilities allow outsiders to take over the accounts of regular users and post all sorts of spam.

“What would happen, is somebody would reply to a comment that had a script injected. Once they replied, their account got hijacked and started uploading infected torrents,” The Ghost says.

The above is just one example, according to the moderator. These and other bugs caused a lot of problems for the moderation crew as well as the users. However, they reportedly remain in place today.

Since the owner has been very unresponsive, all active moderators and admins have decided to step down. They were already paying for the server rent and the 1337x domain names, which will likely be forwarded to the new home.

Visitors who access the old forum URL (1337x.net) are now redirected to the new home at leetxtorrents.org, where a new forum was created with a copy of the database.

Another “former” 1337x staffer Mustangx, who owns the original .com and .org domains, confirms the staff exodus and says that they are working on a new torrent site as well. The staffers don’t have access to the old code, so they have to start anew.

“We have a team working on an entirely new site at the moment. We hope to have it ready for the new year,” Mustangx says.

In recent days the owner of the original 1337x reappeared again. However, many staffers believe that it’s too late to make things right, although it hurts to leave their old home behind.

“Nobody likes the idea of just leaving the old site sitting there but it doesn’t have an off button. Kind of like leaving a claymore mine lying around the internet,” The Ghost concludes.

At the time of writing the old 1337.to site remains operational, but the domain may be redirected in the future as well.

source
I personally wish the staff all the best with the new site and more importantly, keeping their community together, good luck to them.

Some clickable links...

leetxtorrents:  http://leetxtorrents.org/  << currently open for sign ups

the forum: http://leetxtorrents.org/1337x/
I haven't been able to connect to the leetx site for a couple of weeks now. Is anyone else having trouble connecting?
Neither of those links work for me anymore, and I have no idea why they're unreachable.

It may be worth keeping an eye on this thread over at kat, as a couple of 1337x regulars tend to keep it updated whenever something happens, or perhaps you could PM that thread's OP for an update/more info on the site:

https://kat.cr/community/show/1337x/?page=12
yes they are down, just one week ago they were facing some issues with hosting .. but they came back within 4 days but this time , it is taking too long .. most importantly Im not getting any reply from their admins ... It will be real shock if I have to see they are shut down for forever .. but hope things will solve soon and they will back soon with new script !! :/
Looks like their domain has expired.
Has anyone heard anything new about the l33t crew?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone know how to create a .onion site? Ladyanne3 1 1,924 Dec 16, 2023, 08:55 am
Last Post: LZA
  Anyone know of a french site like Tubi? Ladyanne3 19 4,263 Dec 14, 2023, 11:13 am
Last Post: CaptButler
  collaborative streaming site Random 11 6,954 Oct 03, 2023, 03:21 am
Last Post: Random
  where is the new(reborn) legitimate kickass site ? crowbarx5 5 14,683 Aug 22, 2023, 21:23 pm
Last Post: Killua
  1337x Chat and Forum down? LuxLOL 0 6,492 Sep 27, 2022, 03:32 am
Last Post: LuxLOL