wolfenspiel, on an oft overlooked danger of downloading
(Mar 19, 2017, 16:38 pm)wolfenspiel Wrote: one thing I have learned is that the more uploading and downloading you do, the more you collect, the larger your inventory of product, well.... your own creativity drops off! You don't learn how to work around things. You don't learn how to create your own props and such. You don't have time to actually create art! It's all wrapped up in acquiring that shiny new toy, looking at it in Daz or Poser, MAYBE starting to work with it, and then WOW! There's a whole bunch of new toys out there!!! Gotta get them before they disappear!!

I think that happens to a lot of people, in a lot of areas.

It's not exactly the same, but in a similar vein I have a buffer of films and TV shows which I've downloaded that I've not yet watched. I have to constantly and consciously fight to resist the temptation to add too much to that otherwise I'll certainly never be able to watch everything. [Of course the blowout there is that I have a constantly growing list of bookmarked torrents, but at least those don't take up so much space or represent so much prior investement.]

Any other Daz users with eyes bigger than their stomachs, or experiences of finding having dulls their interest in doing? Or, better still, any suggestions on how to counter the effects?
I'm in a similar situation, and nowadays I only get selected materials, like props and building. I have too much clothing and character products lol. It's hard to resist the temptation to download.
(Mar 20, 2017, 23:34 pm)Sid Wrote:
(Mar 19, 2017, 16:38 pm)wolfenspiel Wrote: one thing I have learned is that the more uploading and downloading you do, the more you collect, the larger your inventory of product, well.... your own creativity drops off! You don't learn how to work around things. You don't learn how to create your own props and such. You don't have time to actually create art! It's all wrapped up in acquiring that shiny new toy, looking at it in Daz or Poser, MAYBE starting to work with it, and then WOW! There's a whole bunch of new toys out there!!! Gotta get them before they disappear!!

I think that happens to a lot of people, in a lot of areas.

It's not exactly the same, but in a similar vein I have a buffer of films and TV shows which I've downloaded that I've not yet watched. I have to constantly and consciously fight to resist the temptation to add too much to that otherwise I'll certainly never be able to watch everything. [Of course the blowout there is that I have a constantly growing list of bookmarked torrents, but at least those don't take up so much space or represent so much prior investement.]

Any other Daz users with eyes bigger than their stomachs, or experiences of finding having dulls their interest in doing? Or, better still, any suggestions on how to counter the effects?

*chuckle*   I still collect everything but only install what I'm really and truly going to use.  I've taken to buying some of those amazingly gorgeous interiors from Turbo Squid (Gag $$$$$$!) and converting them.  Daz seems to be hung up on destroyed, disheveled, zombie, Sci-Fi, steampunk, and weirdo fantasy crap.
I only download stuff for which I have ideas for in the future, but downloading and sorting them into a library is a task in itself, and ideas get buried because no time Sad
I get that syndrome of downloading and of buying my credit card shows that if I see it and don't have it
or find it I will buy it.

I haven't done a render in 2 months real life and other things get in the way. The only way I get anything done
is to have my internet shut off and then I can concentrate on daz studio. I went 2 years before I had it turned
back on and was rendering and making things props etc. Minute internet went back on was back in the cycle of
hunting and downloading. So now at my home there is no internet so I have to go to my best friends ranch and
take over his internet till he makes me go home.