bsg4you: MST3K Live Social Distancing Riff-Along Special 1080p 2ch fixed audio
[request: anyone who can help with a - B T N - i n v i t e - please PM me, thanks!]

I finally got to watching my remaster of the MST3K Live Social Distancing Riff-Along Special and was very pleased.

I have not seen any of the Live Tour shows so this crew was all new to me and I was very impressed! I like all the riffers and was especially impressed with Emily who has an expressive face and felt very positive while being funny riffing. I'm very hopeful for more MST3K from this next gen, maybe with a season 13 or occasional specials like this Social Distancing Riff-Along.

On this technical side of things, the original WEB-DL had the Moon Zero Two volume so much lower than the New Riff-Along riffers as to be unwatchable.

When I read the many comments about the volume balancing issue, I knew I had to get to work! I pre-amped the opening segments and then the main show. I used Audacity's compressor with compression at max 10:1 and finished with a final amp.

I just did a full qa view/listen and am happy with the improvement. There are about 3x loud New Tom or New Crow riffs that are still kinda loud but it's very watchable.

Here is an Audacity screencap with 3x waveforms: the original, bsg4you processed, and someone else's "fixed" version posted to y o u t u b e. [note, these waveforms were normalized to 0.0db to make the variations easier to compare]

[Image: wE1n1Rl.png]

Release details:

If possible, please use this magnet to download this share to preserve the names/hash and keep the swarm healthy.

Big thanks to the many community members who have pointed searchers to my commentary torrents and helped out those who could only download a remaster via a temporary file locker posting. Thank you!

MST3K.LIVE.Social.Distancing.Riff-Along.Special.1080p.2ch-fixed-audio.mkv
detail -
https://thepiratebay.org/description.php?id=36160218
https://www.ettvdl.com/torrent/913601/ms...ixed-audio
magnet -

MST3K Live Social Distancing Riff-Along Special 1080p 2ch fixed audio (2020)
video: 1920x1080 x264 AVC 1507kbps WEB-DL with no re-encode
audio: original WEB-DL with Amplify and Dynamic Range Compressor AAC-LC 2.0 128kbps
source: native 1080p WEB-DL
2h11m29s 1,615,057,236bytes 1.50GB
2020.05.03 Riff-Along Special live web stream
1990.01.20 MST3K first tv broadcast
1969.10.26 Moon Zero Two UK release
tt12294976
Host: Joel Hodgson
Mad: Mega-Synthia (Yvonne Freese)
New Riff-Along riffers:
Emily Crenshaw (Emily Marsh)
Tom Servo (Conor McGiffin)
Crow T. Robot (Nate Begle)
GPC (Yvonne Freese)
Original MST3K Moon Zero Two riffers:
Joel Robinson (Joel Hodgson)
Crow T. Robot (Trace Beaulieu)
Tom Servo (J. Elvis Weinstein)

This is an AVC/AAC-LC with the video being a WEB-DL (native with no re-encode) and the audio being sourced from the WEB-DL and then processed to make the quiet parts of the original MST3K movie much louder and closer to the New Riff-Along sound.
The sound is now much more balanced with only a few riffs/singing by New Tom and New Crow sounding loud compared to most dialog.
There is a 1h47m39s "Fixed Audio/Video" on y o u t u b e but it is not as balanced as this share. Sampling various segments showed the MST3K movie and new sound of this share being 3db-9db closer compared to the other remaster. (see the included image) Plus, this 2h11m29s share is the complete stream including the opening segments/songs and the breaks when the New Riffers chatted.

The audio for this share was processed with Audacity as follows:
The 1st Three Intro Segments:
1a) amplify.new.peak-9.0db
The 4th And The New Theme Song:
1b) amplify.new.peak-11.0db
Portion After The Intro Segments/Songs:
2) amplify.new.peak-0.0db(+9.8db)
3) Dynamic Range Compressor: Threshold-35db NoiseFloor-65db Ratio-10:1(maximum)
4) amplify.new.peak-7.0
5) final Fraunhofer FDK AAC encode after 47ms aac time shift correction:
ffmpeg -i MST3K-047.wav -c:a libfdk_aac -b:a 128k MST3K-047.m4a

Thanks!
Nice, thanks. I hadn't bothered to watch it so far, mostly because it seemed an odd concept to begin with, and the reports of bad audio. But now I figure it should be at least watchable.
It's bold to say you enjoy anything about new MST3k around here, people seem to take it as some sort of unholy sacrilege
I had the same concerns as blurg, but this should be a big help in trying to enjoy it.  I'm always cautiously optimistic about new version of MST3K.  The original run had years to build on (for both hosts) so it's definitely more difficult for any new version to be accepted very easily, especially when it's a single season or one-off.  That being said, I'm looking forward to checking this out.

bsg4you - Many thanks.  You've massively improved my Rifftrax library over the years.
I have been waiting for this! I was excited about it....or cautiously optimistic anyway, from the start. But I found it unwatchable b/c of sound issues. Looking forward to checking this out tonight!! Thank you!!!!!

+++++I just finished watching this and the sound was absolutely perfect throughout! It was fun to watch--I always loved this original ep so I guess I'm glad they didn't really add much to it. And that felt like the shortest short ever! But I'm so glad I got to see it. Thanks again!
It turns out they actually cut out quite a few scenes from the episode. The host segments are intact, but there's about 10 to 12 minutes of movie missing. If anyone's curious, I made an edit adding these scenes back in, while excising the audio only pre-show and commercial breaks. (The fixed audio was a valuable asset in this, thank you.) I wanted to emulate Rifftrax Live shows, so it often alternates between displaying the new riffers and having the episode on full screen.

4x3: https://mega.nz/file/yiIHAADL#MEbhmMqQF7...aoyPxhc350
16x9: https://mega.nz/file/GiBjkYDJ#h0lMt4XhCu...3LBNTTGMPk

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rifftrax Live 2024 Kickatarter announced ageekyguy 34 4,063 Yesterday, 18:54 pm
Last Post: JusSonic
  Jurassic Park Quintuple Audio track with 8 channel Audio KinoQueen13 8 812 Mar 25, 2024, 11:38 am
Last Post: KinoQueen13
  Tickets for A Night of Shorts 15 and this month's live show JusSonic 7 1,124 Mar 22, 2024, 10:36 am
Last Post: SuperLake
  herod0327's squirm upgrade with norm audio Handy 2 471 Mar 12, 2024, 12:57 pm
Last Post: NexusWraith
  EVIL DEAD I & II with Live Bruce Campbell Commentary Coldyron 15 21,794 Feb 29, 2024, 19:00 pm
Last Post: peephalk