Poll: Are you going to give some other encoders a chance?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
100.00%
2 100.00%
No
0%
0 0%
Total 2 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Why YIFY encodes are technically HD but still bad
https://www.reddit.com/r/torrents/commen...fy/c98f6dy
Quote:The real question is, what experience do you wish to get out of watching a video? Are you watching pawn stars, a standup special, or a blockbuster film? Are you watching something just to pass time on your phone on a plane ride, putting a children's flick on your tablet to keep your kids busy in the car ride, or trying to watch a good film in the dark on your living room set up?

If you have invested money in something that takes advantage of High Definition resolutions (720p, 1080p, 1080p+, 3D), then you are bastardizing your investment by downloading YiFY torrents. That shit is an expensive luxury, and if you went through emptying your wallet and setting all of it up, then you are a damn fool if you didn't invest just an ever so slightly more amount of money in cheap HDD space. If you don't have a system that takes advantage of 1080p, THEN DON'T DOWNLOAD 1080p. If you don't have a system that takes advantage of 720p, THEN DON'T DOWNLOAD 720p, be it YiFY, good encodes, scene encodes, etc. Your 5in phone has a 1080p display you say? Awesome, I just hope you have perfect eyesight and have the will to stare closely at your device for duration of the movie. Not like this, not like this, but like this. Obligatory video about watching movies on phones.

So, Should I use YiFY?

If you are trying to get a cinematic experience with a movie like Django Unchained, and have an HD setup - NO, get a better encode
   If you are trying to get a cinematic experience with a movie like Django Unchained, and do not have an HD setup - NO, get a standard definition encode
   Do you have miserable eyesight (not bad, miserable) - Sure, why not? You will not notice a difference in PQ

The point is, you should only download High Definition if your hardware can take advantage of it. If not, download Standard Definition. There is nothing wrong with SD. Standard definition video is better for Standard def setups than high def video.

The reason there is hate for YiFY is because it bastardizes general High Definition knowledge and capabilities. YiFY let's people believe resolution = quality. YiFY let's people believe low bitrates and poor PQ offer a full experience that compliments HD hardware. If you are so desperate for file size due to HDD space or Bandwidth caps, AND insist on High Definition res, you need to make the personal decision on whether slight pixelation due to upscaling good SD is better or worse of an offender to PQ than video bitrate starving. Personally, the things I'd rather do than watch a YiFY encode are:

Not watch the movie
   Upscale a same size, quality SD encode to HD
   Upscale a same size, decent SD encode to HD
   Upscale a slightly higher (I'm talking mb's) size, quality SD encode to HD
   Upscale a slightly higher (I'm talking mb's) size, decent SD encode to HD
   Download a re-encoded HD rip by another group
   Download a scene encode, which is a good balance between quality and size
   WHAT I ACTUALLY DO - Download the highest quality 720p encode from high quality encoders, regardless of size. I do this because I have an HD set up (and my HDD space price is a drop in the bucket compared to the set up) , I give a shit about my movie experience, and my current seating situation that compliments my HD setup does not allow me to differentiate fine details between 1080p and 720p.

YiFY is for the ignorant, not for those looking to save HDD space. If you want to save HDD space, download SD. Hell, download some low res xvid encodes before YiFY.
I'd like to bring this up about YIFY encodes supposedly being HD. They are technically HD, you can check the number of pixels and call it HD. And most of us watch movies on our computer, right? If your monitor is good and can handle 1080p, why bother getting the YIFY encodes. You can always find a slightly larger encode, since you don't have to seed forever, and once you're done watching it, you've probably given back enough, you can go ahead and delete it. If your monitor isn't HD like mine, go ahead and look for a decent 480p encodes, if you compare a YIFY 1080p encode versus a decent, say, Rarbg encode(not really, but fun fact, ETRG's source is often Rarbg:Source 1080 WEB-DL RBG). Now you should be able to see that the 480p one is more often crispier than the YIFY encode.

Now just the video quality isn't going to completely bring YIFY encodes down to V:0. But when you listen to the audio, the source is 5 channels, but YIFY encodes are casually downmixed to 2 channels. However, sound effects get two channels while dialogue only gets one. This makes it so that the sound effects are much louder than they should be compared to the dialogue.

I get why most of us want to download YIFY, it's HD and takes up very little space. But chances are you have either a good monitor of a bad one. If you can, either get a good HD encode such as any of the ones here:
https://thepiratebay.se/search/handjob/0/99/200
https://thepiratebay.se/search/publichd/0/99/200

In fact, if you want actually good HD, look into PublicHD for that matter. https://publichd.to/

Now if you're like me and want to watch good quality SD encodes, I would say Rarbg has some decent ones. http://rarbg.to/torrents.php?search=&cat...egory[]=17

But if you want to stick with YIFY for archival reasons, or just because of the file size, why not at least check out an encode from one of these sites that I just mentioned? It's just a few gbs shy of YIFY file-size, so go ahead and try it out, it can't hurt to do so.
Quote:The reason there is hate for YiFY is because it bastardizes general High Definition knowledge and capabilities.

There is no legitimate hate for someone who simply makes a different quality vs. size compromise than the one you would make. That's simply a difference of opinion. Hating someone because they prefer coke and you prefer pepsi is stupid and childish.

The reason there is hate for aXXo/YIFY/most-popular-encoder-of-the-moment is that there is more love for them than for other encoders who have made different compromises. If you prefer pepsi it might annoy you that it's not available as widely as coke but that's egocentrism not a conspiracy of dullards.

Champion your personal favourites all you like but don't try to drag down equally legitimate uploaders with sanctimonious bullshit.
(Apr 20, 2015, 18:38 pm)Amosquu Wrote:
Quote:So, Should I use YiFY?
Who cares?  Download what you want.
It is amazing the number of people out there who think others can't make these decisions without their assistance.
Yep, exactly. My point is download whatever you want, but check out a bunch of encode groups if you're looking for something a little better than YIFY and you have an HD setup.
https://pirates-forum.org/Thread-Compari...ON-KINGDOM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom - really bad Ladyanne3 3 1,029 2 hours ago
Last Post: Quickeyg
  Do you still buy DVDs? lustrous 4 2,174 Mar 15, 2024, 19:49 pm
Last Post: ambardi
  The Breaking Bad finale we needed is coming anonemoose 3 13,370 Aug 27, 2019, 11:24 am
Last Post: anonemoose
  Why there's no high quality dvdrip for movies? longernohuman 5 20,271 Jun 28, 2017, 00:19 am
Last Post: Sid
  Mkv same quality but different sizes. WHY? packing93 5 17,886 Aug 03, 2016, 21:14 pm
Last Post: packing93