What was your first reason to like computers
What I liked first about using the personal computer was the word processor: I don't know if it was Microsoft Word or Wordperfect, but the thing about it is that I like to write books using it.

It's too bad that I can't write books for a living, but just using something to write fancy stuff was a pleasure.

What was yours?
Unlike a gaming console, with a computer I have the freedom to watch, download, stream, modify, create, reinstall, personalize anything I can imagine.
That's your first encounter with a computer?

See, I started using the computer at age 12, but when I first had a crack at it, ownership of media was trivial. I just liked to publish stuff, much like how a painter likes to paint a picture that he can be proud of.

Even today, I just use the computer to write things. I use it to remind myself of things, write resumes, fuck you letters, et al. I purely use word processors since it's what I'm fond of since childhood.

And then the media question comes into play.
(Feb 11, 2024, 08:36 am)RobertX Wrote: That's your first encounter with a computer?

Yep, I was first introduced to computers in the early 2000s thanks to my dad's impressive collection of bootleg DVDs and PC games sourced from the Bittorrent realm.

Not only that, he even gave me a iPod nano and went on to fill it with a treasure trove of pirated music.

I also recall that he had a friend who owned a warehouse where he would burn DVDs.

In early 2011, Apple replaced their lives.

Later that year, I received an Xbox 360 console as a gift.

From then until early 2017, computers were forgotten.
Was the XBOX 360 modded too?

Well, I will say that you must be an adept pirate, more over twenty years, good!
Pretty much what lustrous said except my dad never got into pc or consoles of any kind in general. augh man miss those days of firing up the huge tower and small 15" monitor dial up internet dieing of excitement to finally get a quake 3 arena mod downloaded that would take nearly 12 to 16 hrs to download. well dont really miss that part of it
Those were the days.

What I hated about my 56K Dial Up connection is that it will disconnect after three house.

After that, I'm out of luck.

It took me three nights to download Windows 2000 (~329MB) because it keeps disconnecting. I can't download in the morning and the afternoon because of calls, so everything has to happen in night time.

Broadband breathed new life into my piracy life and the rest is history.
(Feb 11, 2024, 11:01 am)RobertX Wrote: Was the XBOX 360 modded too?

Well, I will say that you must be an adept pirate, more over twenty years, good!

No, not modded. When I got that Xbox, I enjoyed streaming content with popular services like Spotify and Netflix on my phone.

Confused Sad
Why? I watched sci-fi on TV as a kid; Star Trek (TOS), Lost In Space, UFO, Moonbase Alpha, etc. Yep, the Flintstones and the Jetsons too.

I was hooked on electronics when just a bratty tween, also read the Heavy Metal magazine and listened to Electrónica and Heavy Metal.

By 1980 had a computer course, which increased my fascination for the sci-fi, space future artificial intelligence era to come. Also reading books from Asimov, Huxley, etc.

I loved the look, colors, reflections, texture, and (specially) the smell of fresh electronics, it was like an addiction. The blinking leds, the intricate procedures to operate and get something done in that dazzling abstract world, the power to enter it and manipulate the limits of reality.

By 18 got a job as trainer programmer on IBM-PC software, DOS 3, XTree and SideKick along xBase (I shouldn't say that out loud and will probably get a sledgehammer of a ban for it) got me on fire, I made lots of programs for commercial stuff: Management, inventory, accounting, even a phone transfer to sync remote databases.

Working for a computer company had it's perks: Air conditioning, sandwiches and soda, playing games on duty and then showing off the best possible score while all the seniors accuse you of cheating! There was a sense of rebellion, pranking, dreaming, creating, being cool.

And there was the design: Edit video, Apple //c, IBM 3260, etc. The 80's are called "wasted years" by some, probably the same old maniacs who did everything to make freedom and prosperity impossible; the guys that turn art into products, technology into machines, and people into cattle, branding brands.

Sorry for the long rant, but it's so many things to led me to the computer world.
(Feb 23, 2024, 18:29 pm)dueda Wrote: Why? I watched sci-fi on TV as a kid; Star Trek (TOS), Lost In Space, UFO, Moonbase Alpha, etc. Yep, the Flintstones and the Jetsons too.

I was hooked on electronics when just a bratty tween, also read the Heavy Metal magazine and listened to Electrónica and Heavy Metal.

By 1980 had a computer course, which increased my fascination for the sci-fi, space future artificial intelligence era to come. Also reading books from Asimov, Huxley, etc.

I loved the look, colors, reflections, texture, and (specially) the smell of fresh electronics, it was like an addiction. The blinking leds, the intricate procedures to operate and get something done in that dazzling abstract world, the power to enter it and manipulate the limits of reality.

By 18 got a job as trainer programmer on IBM-PC software, DOS 3, XTree and SideKick along xBase (I shouldn't say that out loud and will probably get a sledgehammer of a ban for it) got me on fire, I made lots of programs for commercial stuff: Management, inventory, accounting, even a phone transfer to sync remote databases.

Working for a computer company had it's perks: Air conditioning, sandwiches and soda, playing games on duty and then showing off the best possible score while all the seniors accuse you of cheating! There was a sense of rebellion, pranking, dreaming, creating, being cool.

And there was the design: Edit video, Apple //c, IBM 3260, etc. The 80's are called "wasted years" by some, probably the same old maniacs who did everything to make freedom and prosperity impossible; the guys that turn art into products, technology into machines, and people into cattle, branding brands.

Sorry for the long rant, but it's so many things to led me to the computer world.

No need to apologize. It is a pleasure to hear from you regardless of sense you make or not.

For me it was the C64. My older cousin had one with tape station lol. I think back on the sounds and images and its just fucken magic. We battled each other in ik+ and he always won. I got my own and played maniac mansion again and again. Figuring out how to get past the green tentacle took me and my friends weeks. I had to phone my uncle for help.

This is not the music thread but some of the best music out of the 80ties was done on C64. Come at me bros https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc7QwIGhtpg

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a free way to route my traffic like Exitlag does? samoyedcloud 0 1,445 Dec 28, 2023, 11:30 am
Last Post: samoyedcloud
  Is there a program I can download that will make my computer flicker like an anlog TV soulcity 9 17,151 May 25, 2020, 17:43 pm
Last Post: Moe
  Propellerhead Reason Application -- possible trojan? ronaldgreene828 0 10,100 Apr 28, 2019, 21:26 pm
Last Post: ronaldgreene828
  OSX vs. Unix-Like Systems RobertX 2 13,047 Apr 03, 2018, 22:50 pm
Last Post: Moe
  Downloading movies from web sites like putlocker, etc thesnare 9 21,267 Mar 24, 2018, 00:42 am
Last Post: Sid