What is a seedbox?
Now I did search the forum with the words in the topic, but no results are found.

What is a seedbox?

My idea was that it's a computer or part of a computer that you rent (i.e. not own) in a shady server that seeds whatever is uploaded to it from, say, your home.

Also, it's also a safer way to upload your stuff since the server is hidden in a secret place that doesn't leave footprints behind like advertising rental space on TV or any famous publication.

What else am I missing?
Yes, pretty much - a small virtual server with rtorrent or similar + webUI + ssh/ftp access - useful for both uploading and downloading
A seedbox is just a server that's all.  It just sits there and does what it's designed to do.  Nothing complicated about it and it's not in some shady place or anything like that it's just a regular server and runs like any normal machine.
If I understand it right, in old times people used to call most hardware "box"; so they had a compute box (cpu) and everything around like phone box (modem), storage box (disk), etc. If they had additional boxes for specific tasks, those would be the mail box, seed box, etc. One can have a seed box in their home, or rent a service to do the same more conveniently. Like a P.O. box.
I run my torrent client in a VM on a computer in my basement. It is a seedbox in every sense except that it does not live in a data center somewhere so my upload speeds are a bit restricted.
What are the advantages of a local VM for a seedbox?

As opposed to an old 32 Bit XP machine runnign Linux?
The computer in the basement has multiple purposes, so setting up a VM on it was a logical next step.

It isn't running on my main desktop, so the downloading doesn't effect my desktop usage and vice versa.

Being a VM I can choose the OS/client combo and tunnel just that VM through a VPN.

I can leave it running 24/7.

It can be shared with other members of the household and accessed by other devices on the network to stream contents.
What are the specs for this computer, Moe?
It's a big frankenbox made out of old parts including an i7-4790K and 32GB RAM

Not great for virtualization with only 4 cores, but this box was intended to be a low cost project built with what I had laying around.

I put it in a 4U enclosure and managed to pack 60TB of storage in it with a variety of 4 + 6 TB drives.

Unraid provides parity protection for the data and handles creating shares and running VMs and docker containers.
Usually a seedbox is is a virtual space that you will rent to a provider (there are many!!), paying a monthly fee based on the size in Go.
Personally, I had an account with seed.st - until they suddenly closed my account because of a failure in payment process. I lost +/- 400 Go of data!!
Since then, I decided to create my own seedbox with a simple Raspberry Pi (very affordable, ultra low consumption) and a USB hard drive. The easiest way to proceed is using the Dietpi linux distribution, which allows automated installation of required servers (like rTorrent or anything similar). It's up and running in a snap, and it's quite more secure than using an outdated micro$oft crap!
Of course, a VPN is required to harden the transfer process...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good SeedBox for seeding on ThePirateBay? EwwZinga 2 17,727 Oct 20, 2017, 00:36 am
Last Post: EwwZinga
  What seedbox do you use? _Cute_Kitty_ 3 18,087 Oct 15, 2015, 21:10 pm
Last Post: Blackhypnosis