VPN or TOR?
(Feb 26, 2014, 13:47 pm)TMF89 Wrote: I realize this is like the third of fourth VPN thread currently active in this forum, sorry guys!

I was just wondering if anyone could explain the technical and practical differences between a VPN and TOR. From my (very) limited understanding, TOR acts as sort of a series of proxy servers (nodes?), where a VPN just reroutes your traffic through one?

Also, if someone were trying to track me while I was using TOR or a VPN, they would wind up at a dead end, correct? They could track down the VPN server, but since the VPN has no details/information on me, they wouldn't be able to go any further than that, correct? Same for TOR? What will my ISP see if they take a look? Everything looking normal, or will they be able to tell I'm rerouting my traffic?

Finally, recommendations? I don't mind paying for the service, however the cheaper the better, obviously. Has anyone tested a VPN, by uploading/downloading a file they know is malicious, and seeing if they received any ISP emails? Thanks for the info guys!
VPN....

Tor is you after maximum privacy and trust all the nodes (which i always rather trust myself more, but that's me)

Personally, as i look at it "the least amount of people you trust, the more privacy you have"

Sid edited Feb 11, 2018 20:29 pm this post because:

The guy you are replying to hasn't even been here for FOUR YEARS. Pay more attention in future to avoid wasting everyone's time.

/dead thread closed

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which VPN Providers Take Anonymity Seriously? demonS 161 526,685 Feb 21, 2024, 10:30 am
Last Post: solid_gamer_guy
  VPN, and Tor: Navigating TPB lustrous 2 2,630 Nov 11, 2023, 06:41 am
Last Post: lustrous
  VPN mandatory? Puckje 5 7,901 Aug 26, 2023, 05:33 am
Last Post: RobertX
  Which VPN Services Keep You Anonymous in 2018? Ernesto 19 128,188 Jun 29, 2023, 14:04 pm
Last Post: sherb
  I busted Windscribe (A VPN) Ladyanne3 6 12,065 Aug 28, 2022, 21:07 pm
Last Post: Slow Mo