Poll: Are recent M,K,B rifftrax releases still on par with their best work?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, some of their best
15.56%
7 15.56%
No, bit of a decline
64.44%
29 64.44%
Unsure / idk
20.00%
9 20.00%
Total 45 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

VIRUS may be the most disappointing riff yet
(Jul 28, 2024, 21:36 pm)KingSuperMaster Wrote:
(Jul 28, 2024, 17:35 pm)Lorem Ipsum Wrote: Finally, I watched one of the more recent Rifftrax Live events a few weeks ago and during the opening banter the thought struck me, do these guys even like each other anymore?  They had zero chemistry and came across as three random guys just trying to get their lines in on a crowded conference call.

I dunno; I've literally always found their pre-riff banter to be pretty painful.  Way back on Christmas Village of Madness, they introduce the segments and those hurt as much as anything recent.  I watch the riffs on Roku, where I can't view the content I'm skipping whiz by, and I STILL fast-forward past the banter because it's less painful to stab forward and back to get to the beginning of the first short than to listen to what they're saying.  My point being that I don't think the (lack of) banter quality is related to how much the do or don't like each other. But I'll also say I do indeed perceive an occasional eye-roll from one to another.

I'll gladly take the lackluster banter over the early live show bits with the animated/joke sketches that were done for the first few shows.  Those were just painful and I skip over them completely whenever I rewatch those performances.
(Jul 28, 2024, 17:35 pm)Lorem Ipsum Wrote: Finally, I watched one of the more recent Rifftrax Live events a few weeks ago and during the opening banter the thought struck me, do these guys even like each other anymore?  They had zero chemistry and came across as three random guys just trying to get their lines in on a crowded conference call. 

If you watch the "Talkin' RiffTrax" and even moreso the "Hangin' Out With RiffTrax" Patreon releases, it's pretty obvious that they are all buddies. 

I think the biggest problem with the live-show banter is that it is mostly ad-libbed, which usually devolves into Kevin making an off-color remark and the others having to awkward trying to steer back onto the rails.
Reply to ktel69, as per "Against every instinct I have I am going to respond this insanity and ask for some examples of what you mean by jokes that are 'clearly' written by 'millenniwanks' and 'non-coddled boomer' jokes."

No sweat. Though, understandably, citing those riffsters whom wrote which joke (specifically) is probably impossible, and equally-understandably mst3k/rIifftrax cannot do that, so I’ve merely done what you asked and provided the joke-examples in the categories you requested, as per “style” samples.

Good/non-coddled/Boomer riffs:

Bridget from Tormented (when Tom Stewart is at the top of the lighthouse and says to the ghost of Vi) “It’s gonna be just as though you never existed… and then, I’m gonna marry Meg.” ~
Bridget: “And then, it’ll be like *I* never existed!”  (Where Bridget makes a funny jibe at men-within-marriage.)

Joel Robinson in The Amazing Colossal Man (when Carol asks, “Why did this have to happen to him??” And receives the reply “Things like this just happen… there doesn’t have to be a reason.”) ~
Joel: “Oh, he’s a Calvinist.”

Joel Robinson (in reference to Glen Manning in The Amazing Colossal Man) ~
“No man is a Three-Mile Island, Glen.”

The Mads from The Wizard of Mars (when Dorothy says “A golden road!”) ~
Trace: “(Cough, cough-cough) Copyright! Yellow-Brick (cough).
(Then Frank) ~ “I hope there’s a Third Act of some sort over there.”

Milenniwank riffs:

NewCrow in Beyond Atlantis (as the Island Princess drops her skirt and walks away in a moderately-cut fur-skin bikini) ~
“Let me slip into something more… confusing.”

NewCrow in Beyond Atlantis (regarding Sid Haig’s comment on the boat “Let’s just get outta here before the whole damn city boards us.”) ~
“I know you’re joking sir, but that would seriously break our occupancy code.”

Mike from Virus (when George Kennedy asks Chuck Connors “How long have you been on station?”) ~
“Have you got any toilet paper? We’re totally out.”

Kevin from Virus (at 48:40 during the “science” moment) ~
“Ooooooooo, scientists get the best toys. Wheeee, whoopee. Ooooooh”

Bill from Virus (as Chuck Connors clambers into the upper bunk at the end of a long day) ~
“Awww man, it was a great day being whoever I am and doing whatever it is I do - I… I deserve a rest!”

NewCrow (from Starcrash, after Jonah explains the de-freezing scene) ~
“Oh, thanks for the teachable moment.”

Jaboody, where “someone” in Jaboody says (during the fashion runway scene where the models walk out and slurp the Stuff) ~
“Oh, they’re trying to model The Stuff. With some flat-chested girls”.
(my reaction to that "riff": So much for body-positivity…)

You have your reply.  In detail. And I spent far longer in replying to your "challenge" than you did "making" your challenge, which - in comedy - is very much the point.
[quote pid="405358" dateline="1722369645"]
“Oh, they’re trying to model The Stuff. With some flat-chested girls”.
(my reaction to that "riff": So much for body-positivity…)

[/quote]

I'm sorry, but if you're listening to Jaboody, of all things, you should expect the bluest low-brow humor. They're not a group I can listen to often, but when I do I know it's going to be raunchy and just plain trashy.

Regarless, talking about a flat chested chick shouldn't be off limits though for any group. Riffers make fun of skinny people, fat people, women with big tits, women with no tits. Who cares? It's comedy. Comedy isn't here to improve your body image or to support everyone, it's to make people laugh. 

Let me offer this to everyone who doesnt like it when a comedian makes a joke you dont like:
I hate jokes about homeless people, but that's a personal problem. i don't laugh at them and move on. Done.
Having come across stuff people from Rifftrax have posted on that wretched hive of scum and villany, Reddit, I'm reminded for the 837th time how much everyone owes to Mike.
I didn't think some of the recent Mary Jo and Bridget shorts were all that good either. The Hilton one...the short itself was actually kinda charming but they weren't that funny. The "Leave the light on for you" was a good ending, I admit. Overall they felt very mailed in. I usually love their riffs. The two gals just hanging out and chilling charm only goes so far. You need some good jokes even in a short. Same goes with the big 3 guys. The guys are just sorta doing their "boy this is so dumb" schtick and the call back jokes that are not really jokes and you have to have seen it, to get it. It feels more like their churning out riffs instead of making an effort to actually care about the comedy. Which...comes with doing too much. Spread too thin. I do still think Mary Jo and Bridget are more reliable even if I haven't liked their recent stuff as much. I'll love them forever just for "Food Glorious Food" in perfect unison.

You know I was listening to some of the MST3K Season 13 episodes, particularly with Jonah. Granted I know these are movies. I'm ignoring the skits. Just listening to the riffs. They almost rapid fire jokes. Just combos of jokes. Not all of them are good but they do so many, something has to make you laugh. They do it the whole movie. It's almost amazing. I don't think they have personality of the guys or girls of RiffTrax. I do think the humor is better. I'm amazed people can write that many jokes at once. They throw everything at it.

I also would rather RiffTrax try a joke and bomb. Then just make noises and use their personality to do very little. To keep mocking the movie with very little actual humor while doing it.
There were times in Virus and the more recent movies and shorts where they had openings. They had so many chances to say a joke. They just let it go.

Don't get me wrong, they've had iffy riffs in the past too. This is the longest rut I've seen with them I haven't heard a really great riff from the big three in quite awhile. Some have been fine, above average. Nothing really memorable or quotable. Their still good for putting the background, as background noise. They got personality, just not a lot of good material there
(Jul 22, 2024, 15:28 pm)spaceface Wrote: that said, i'll take releases like virus release any day over rem lazar, ouija shark, apex predators, or any of those other bizarre camcorder movies which personally I find the least funny.

I haven't seen "Virus" (riffed or unriffed), but I don't even bother with the "movies" recorded on early-2000s cell phones anymore. I paid for "Feeders", "Lycan Colony", and "Urban Sasquatch", and that was enough for me. Between crap like that, and 70 minute riffs of 90 minute movies, it put me off the MKB riffs almost entirely.

BTW, is there a link for Virus? If it's a real movie, and if it's not edited down to 80% of its runtime, I'll give it a try.
(Jul 31, 2024, 15:19 pm)NexusWraith Wrote:
(Jul 22, 2024, 15:28 pm)spaceface Wrote: that said, i'll take releases like virus release any day over rem lazar, ouija shark, apex predators, or any of those other bizarre camcorder movies which personally I find the least funny.

I haven't seen "Virus" (riffed or unriffed), but I don't even bother with the "movies" recorded on early-2000s cell phones anymore. I paid for "Feeders", "Lycan Colony", and "Urban Sasquatch", and that was enough for me. Between crap like that, and 70 minute riffs of 90 minute movies, it put me off the MKB riffs almost entirely.

BTW, is there a link for Virus? If it's a real movie, and if it's not edited down to 80% of its runtime, I'll give it a try.

https://mega.nz/file/q1Eh1LSI#5WcZRjudUf...vripjV0s_4

Thanks to Taddghostal.
(Jul 31, 2024, 16:41 pm)Meat Trademark Wrote:
(Jul 31, 2024, 15:19 pm)NexusWraith Wrote:

https://mega.nz/file/q1Eh1LSI#5WcZRjudUf...vripjV0s_4

Thanks to Taddghostal.
FYI this is the edited down American version. The OG Japanese version is longer.
(Jul 31, 2024, 22:18 pm)JetJaguar73 Wrote:
(Jul 31, 2024, 16:41 pm)Meat Trademark Wrote: https://mega.nz/file/q1Eh1LSI#5WcZRjudUf...vripjV0s_4

Thanks to Taddghostal.
FYI this is the edited down American version. The OG Japanese version is longer.

Maybe it's for the best. Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Riff adjacent: Repo Man (1984) TV edit drawnbyjohn 5 551 Sep 14, 2024, 23:13 pm
Last Post: Meat Trademark
  (req) Virus - A GrimTrax Feature MATMAN 23 3,759 Jul 14, 2024, 21:33 pm
Last Post: NotRichBatman
  The Most Dangerous Game (blu-ray upgrade) billythefist 4 3,439 Jun 21, 2024, 00:55 am
Last Post: JetJaguar73
  May live show JusSonic 4 1,584 Apr 16, 2024, 02:21 am
Last Post: intransitivelie
  MST-HD Remaster upscaling help + most-wanted poll Seacom 8 4,532 Nov 21, 2023, 01:47 am
Last Post: Anarchemist