The art thread.
Post and discuss paintings, sculpture, photography and other forms of art that you like. (No computer art or windows paint pics please). Please include the name of the artist, to avoid the inevitable 'Who's that by?' posts, use a 'N.S.F.W.' spoiler if needed, and keep on topic. Do not reply in this thread just to say 'nice pics' or 'thanks.' Make a contribution or stay out.

American painter and performance artist, Joe Coleman is a master of intricate detail. You can truly lose yourself in one of his paintings as you realise how much work has gone into them, especially on the tiny details, some of which are works of art on their own. His paintings are usually grotesque and fascinating at the same time, and he works with just about anybody, from celebrities to death-row serial killers.

[Image: isN70y4.jpg]

[Image: N0Lpafz.jpg]

Small images of his artwork don't do them justice, because of the details and intricacy again, but they are worth a further look imho.

You can see more of Coleman's work here.
Stumbled across this amazing metal sculpture by Istanbul-based artist, Selçuk Yilmaz, who hammered 4000 pieces of metal scraps together to create this. The work took him almost a year to complete.

[Image: 5x2fV3J.jpg]

[Image: YNbwfh0.jpg]

[Image: ORZKs3L.jpg]

moar
(Apr 09, 2014, 13:34 pm)Spud17 Wrote: Stumbled across this amazing metal sculpture by Istanbul-based artist, Selçuk Yilmaz,

That is incredible....

My 6 year old discovered a small replica of David at our library the other day and asked what it was and why his penis was so small.... that prompted some investigation.

17 feet tall and weighing 6 tons, Michelangelo spent 2 years to complete when he was only 26 years old.... SOURCE

[Image: DJr1Xnb.jpg]
[Image: t8JQYel.jpg]
[Image: ujCUqQY.jpg]
A nice collection of art can be found here: http://www.metmuseum.org/collection/the-...ion-online

I've put in a request in the requests thread for help in turning it into a torrent.

Today I learned of Brutalist architecture. It's beautiful stuff.

https://www.google.com/search?q=brutalist+architecture

Attached Files Image(s)

(Apr 10, 2014, 13:50 pm)tuffgong Wrote: My 6 year old discovered a small replica of David at our library the other day and asked what it was and why his penis was so small.... that prompted some investigation.

some guys are showers... david appears to be a grower. Wink

[Image: 1987a8191fd7ff36c0432a54bae7e4e771b91700.jpg]

so, i was talking with someone today about 'hitler masturbating' which is a watercolor painting by salvador dali completed in 1973.

the interpretation of this painting is really up to the observer as it is either thoughtful of the destruction of europe or it really is hitler masturbating as he oversees the destruction of europe.

you can read more about it here as well as view different sizes.
Some artwork with a slight difference....

[Image: JvdVBNh.jpg]

^^ Street scene with New York taxis, by Stephen Wilshire, an autistic savant whose attention to detail from memory has astonished art lovers worldwide. Probably his best known work is his New York skyline, which was drawn from memory after a 20-minute helicopter over the city, which you can see him work on, here.

Lisa Fittipaldi, is a blind artist, having learned to paint (and write a book about it) after losing her sight...

[Image: A6Bojhu.jpg]

Michael Monaco is a quadriplegic who paints with his mouth, has had his work exhibited globally, and is a member of the Mouth and Foot Painters Association...

[Image: fVcTHLk.jpg]

Further reading:

International Guild of Disabled Artists & Performers.

Disabled Artists Guild.
(Apr 09, 2014, 13:34 pm)Spud17 Wrote: Stumbled across this amazing metal sculpture by Istanbul-based artist, Selçuk Yilmaz, who hammered 4000 pieces of metal scraps together to create this. The work took him almost a year to complete.

[Image: 5x2fV3J.jpg]

[Image: YNbwfh0.jpg]

[Image: ORZKs3L.jpg]

moar

Wow impressive!

I really enjoy the artwork released regarding Game Of Thrones.

[Image: season_is_coming_by_amorphisss-d86e00h.png]
            I've always enjoyed paintings that are considered dark or macabre. "Dante's Inferno", "Faust", and demonology have always interested me.

If I could get my hands on digital copies of anything from "Inferno", that would be amazing.
(Aug 28, 2014, 03:51 am)stormium Wrote: [Image: 1987a8191fd7ff36c0432a54bae7e4e771b91700.jpg]

so, i was talking with someone today about 'hitler masturbating' which is a watercolor painting by salvador dali completed in 1973.

the interpretation of this painting is really up to the observer as it is either thoughtful of the destruction of europe or it really is hitler masturbating as he oversees the destruction of europe.

you can read more about it here as well as view different sizes.

I never knew I needed this in my life. Dali was a weird one. Maybe even weirder than the Ubu Roi guy.

If anyone wanted a large version, I finally found it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I love art kresimirosk 2 23,823 Jan 29, 2022, 01:22 am
Last Post: RobertX
  Micheal Cina's Art Xern0n 4 43,988 Aug 25, 2020, 18:46 pm
Last Post: mr.bloom
  Graffiti/street art. Spud17 36 185,074 Jun 25, 2019, 10:08 am
Last Post: logderson
  What's your favorite art form(s)? Headbanger 35 153,767 Jul 30, 2018, 00:03 am
Last Post: ytttt
  mindcrasher's swag art mindcrasher 0 17,518 Jun 21, 2015, 19:48 pm
Last Post: mindcrasher