Sound quality
I currently store my movies on my main computer and stream them to my Smart TV over my wireless network. I use the Plex server and app...works great!

However, I have noticed that with some movies the sound quality varies. What I mean by that is that it's difficult to hear the voices in some movies. The background sounds drown it out a bit. And when I try to crank up the volume, it doesn't seem to increase all that much.

Some movies are fine, but others not so much. I try to download a 720p movie most of the time because the file size is smaller. Either AVI or MP4.

I'm sure there is much more at play here, but wondering if there is anything obvious that I'm missing. I'd like some way to have optimized sound.

Any thoughts, or further questions/clarification?
Be sure the channel configuration of the audio track matches your playback setup.

It sounds like you are trying to listen to a surround track on a stereo system.
(Jun 07, 2017, 15:59 pm)Moe Wrote: Be sure the channel configuration of the audio track matches your playback setup.

It sounds like you are trying to listen to a surround track on a stereo system.

That's what I suspected. Not a newbie, but I do miss things sometimes...lol

So...how do I make sure I'm getting a stereo file and not surround?
If there is more than one track, make sure your Plex app is selecting the two channel track.

My Plex knowledge is a bit rusty, but if a stereo track isn't present, Plex should be able to downmix for you.

You can also check the description of the torrent before you download and confirm if a 2 channel track is included. That would save Plex having to downmix.
One thing that works for me most times is selecting Dolby Surround or Dolby Prologic as output speakers in my players or sound filters.
That mode seems to automatically compensate for different inputs so voices don't get drowned out or muffled.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  this is going to sound crazy . . . neanderthal 4 16,413 Sep 05, 2018, 22:15 pm
Last Post: Hawk
  Blue-ray quality & file sizes Tech 9 24,131 Jun 07, 2018, 05:50 am
Last Post: joew771
  Why there's no high quality dvdrip for movies? longernohuman 5 20,271 Jun 28, 2017, 00:19 am
Last Post: Sid
  Movie Quality Torrent aidenblake 9 22,602 Sep 13, 2016, 02:10 am
Last Post: aidenblake
  Mkv same quality but different sizes. WHY? packing93 5 17,886 Aug 03, 2016, 21:14 pm
Last Post: packing93