Seeding Practices: A Discussion
When it comes to seeding, do you prefer leaving your computer on and disabling the idle timeout so the computer can't go sleep, or do you choose to turn off your computer when you're away due to legal concerns?

Additionally, do you own a seedbox, or do you solely rely on seeding from your Desktop or Laptop?
For the complexity of this conversation, a VPN with a kill switch is more than enough to keep your computer running 24/7 seeding torrents. Port forwarding and Wireguard is preferred. It's cost effective and avoids legal concerns.

Whether or not you require a seed box depends on the file size of your uploads. Also, the fastest internet package available in your area.
(Jan 20, 2024, 16:01 pm)UserHEVC Wrote: For the complexity of this conversation, a VPN with a kill switch is more than enough to keep your computer running 24/7 seeding torrents. Port forwarding and Wireguard is preferred. It's cost effective and avoids legal concerns.

Whether or not you require a seed box depends on the file size of your uploads. Also, the fastest internet package available in your area.

I guess you're right, having a kill switch and lockdown mode would allow me to continue seeding without any issues. It's actually a good thing to use my common sense and close my browser Librewolf since it clears everything, like cookies and browsing history, when I quit the browser, this ensures that I won't remain logged in to websites like TPB when I step away from my computer. [Image: rolleyes.png] [Image: heart.png]
This level of security is not required for a home computer. What you do need though is a VPN to hide your IP Address. The point of the kill switch is to keep the traffic behind the VPN.

Since very few VPN providers offer port forwarding anymore, I would recommend Private Internet Access or Proton VPN. PIA is the cheaper option and probably better for your use case.
(Jan 20, 2024, 16:26 pm)UserHEVC Wrote: This level of security is not required for a home computer. What you do need though is a VPN to hide your IP Address. The point of the kill switch is to keep the traffic behind the VPN.

Since very few VPN providers offer port forwarding anymore, I would recommend Private Internet Access or Proton VPN. PIA is the cheaper option and probably better for your use case.

I have frequently used iVPN and Mullvad in the past, but unfortunately, both of them no longer support Port Forwarding. Now, my options for Port Forwarding are limited to AirVPN and ProtonVPN. I haven't had the chance to read much about PIA yet.
AirVPN is a smaller VPN provider. They will not have any many locations to choose. PIA or Proton have 10 times the number of servers to better balance traffic loads.
PIA is not good option for the United States. They don't offer port forwarding there due to pressure from upstream providers. Everywhere else is great though.
(Jan 20, 2024, 16:46 pm)UserHEVC Wrote: AirVPN is a smaller VPN provider. They will not have any many locations to choose. PIA or Proton have 10 times the number of servers to better balance traffic loads.
PIA is not good option for the United States. They don't offer port forwarding there due to pressure from upstream providers. Everywhere else is great though.

Well, I'm glad to be living in Scandinavia then, because it offers me a wide range of VPN options with good speeds and Port Forwarding. Big Grin
(Jan 21, 2024, 06:04 am)lustrous Wrote:
(Jan 20, 2024, 16:46 pm)UserHEVC Wrote: AirVPN is a smaller VPN provider. They will not have any many locations to choose. PIA or Proton have 10 times the number of servers to better balance traffic loads.

Well, I'm glad to be living in Scandinavia then, because it offers me a wide range of VPN options with good speeds and Port Forwarding. Big Grin

PIA has servers up there. There is nothing to worry about. You just need a good connection to the closest server. In many cases, a VPN provider can offer better connectivity to the rest of the world than your ISP. If you have Wireguard plus Port Forwarding, it can actually improve your internet connectivity for the purpose of seeding torrents. If the connection between you and the server is strong, the rest is smooth sailing.
(Jan 21, 2024, 12:25 pm)UserHEVC Wrote:
(Jan 21, 2024, 06:04 am)lustrous Wrote:

PIA has servers up there. There is nothing to worry about. You just need a good connection to the closest server. In many cases, a VPN provider can offer better connectivity to the rest of the world than your ISP. If you have Wireguard plus Port Forwarding, it can actually improve your internet connectivity for the purpose of seeding torrents. If the connection between you and the server is strong, the rest is smooth sailing.

Heart
(Jan 20, 2024, 16:01 pm)UserHEVC Wrote: For the complexity of this conversation, a VPN with a kill switch is more than enough to keep your computer running 24/7 seeding torrents. Port forwarding and Wireguard is preferred. It's cost effective and avoids legal concerns.

With qbittorrent one can pick the network interface via which it exposes itself to the internet, thus there's no need for a global killswitch.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BabuPC's Torrent Upload Support and Discussion BabuPC. 3 1,775 Feb 21, 2024, 21:35 pm
Last Post: OzDrDj
  Best Place To Get 4K Movies? Also, Best Practices? How? TedDekker 5 2,184 Jan 05, 2024, 19:28 pm
Last Post: lustrous
  SEEDING bambam 1 8,335 Apr 15, 2020, 21:33 pm
Last Post: Moe
  Seeding trebor119 1 11,585 Jan 26, 2018, 20:38 pm
Last Post: demonS
  Am I seeding my torrent correctly? ReiSixx9 8 16,865 Oct 24, 2017, 17:26 pm
Last Post: Sid