Seedbox company policy
I was browsing the seedbox companies and i came across this

Quote:Usage Policy

We allow unrestricted downloading from public trackers but uploading to public trackers is automatically restricted.

I have no words to describe how disgusted i am with the owners of this seedbox. They should be put to sleep (OK maybe not Angel) but they are in the business of killing public torrents.

http://dediseedbox.com/terms-of-service.html
it's the same case with many seedbox providers, nothing new.
I can't imagine how they could actually implement such a policy. Up/downloading takes place between peers, which don't advise each other of the trackers they've obtained their IP addresses from.
(Nov 13, 2013, 17:46 pm)NIK Wrote: I can't imagine how they could actually implement such a policy. Up/downloading takes place between peers, which don't advise each other of the trackers they've obtained their IP addresses from.

As ShirePirate said this is not something new. I have experienced it from first hand and got a refund when i complained to them for this. They do it by setting the upload limit to 1kb for public trackers and give you no access to the settings of rutorrent.
I am bringing this matter up to make more people aware that this practice is bad and they should defame them whenever they get the chance. Moreover we could make a list of bad seedboxes towards public torrents, so people wont waist their time when they are looking for one.
(Nov 14, 2013, 09:22 am)wanderer Wrote: They do it by setting the upload limit to 1kb for public trackers

So what? That would be a trivial and easily circumventable inconvenience at most.

You don't upload to a tracker.

The only thing you upload to a site is a .torrent file (and you could easily do that from your own computer and then seed it from the seedbox).

You upload to peers, and you cannot tell what trackers (if any) those peers have in their torrents.
Buy, build or rent a server and install your own seedbox. Then you don't need to worry about ANY seedbox providers policies r.e. trackers etc.
(Nov 14, 2013, 16:26 pm)NIK Wrote:
(Nov 14, 2013, 09:22 am)wanderer Wrote: They do it by setting the upload limit to 1kb for public trackers

So what? That would be a trivial and easily circumventable inconvenience at most.
It is, when they have dht disabled.

(Nov 14, 2013, 16:46 pm)-nelly- Wrote: Buy, build or rent a server and install your own seedbox. Then you don't need to worry about ANY seedbox providers policies r.e. trackers etc.
I have not one but several servers in my house. The problem with that is the upload speed i have and how much it will cost me to have a decent upload speed in here. Not every country have 100MB lines in every house. I have tried having a rented server didn't work out. It would cost me more to get the specs for what i want it for. Any recommendations on 1Gbps full duplex servers that are fairly cheap and can run without lag or throttled by a decent number of peers are welcome.
(Nov 14, 2013, 17:53 pm)wanderer Wrote:
(Nov 14, 2013, 16:26 pm)NIK Wrote:

It is, when they have dht disabled.

Regardless of policy, that is reason enough to ditch them.

That doesn't change the fundamental fact that the provider doesn't know where you obtained a peer IP and can't restrict upload to any peer based on that.
I was going to say OVH as that's who i used to rent servers from but they're completely sold out:

http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/index.xml
(Nov 14, 2013, 17:53 pm)wanderer Wrote: It is, when they have dht disabled.

But then there would be no "unrestricted downloading from public trackers" either, which is what you said they say they allow.

It is simply not possible for them to implement the policy as it is stated.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  'A Containment Policy': Russian Dean Justifies Chemical-Weapons CheGuevera 1 11,176 Feb 24, 2021, 00:14 am
Last Post: waregim
  Seedbox, Google Drive, and full encryption? runswithascript 3 13,717 Feb 27, 2018, 18:48 pm
Last Post: Sr_Soil
  Meet Australian company IP-Echelon, one of the biggest anti-piracy operations in the The_Abee 0 9,338 Apr 30, 2015, 04:23 am
Last Post: The_Abee
  MPAA Pushes For ICANN Policy Changes to Target “Pirate” Domains Ernesto 0 9,205 Feb 28, 2015, 06:32 am
Last Post: Ernesto
  TV Company Awarded Millions in Online Piracy Cases Ernesto 0 8,380 Feb 21, 2015, 15:49 pm
Last Post: Ernesto