Scammers targeting forum members
Some cockwomble has mass PM'd several forum members offering them a 'free upgrade' on their torrents.

To gain the laughable 'Super Trusted' status, you have to visit some shady website that looks like this forum, where no doubt you're requested to submit your bank details and god knows what else.

It's a scam, and so is the website in question. There's no such status rank as 'Super Trusted' so please ignore it.

Most of those who received such a PM will have figured out by the appalling English that it's a scam, and those who've been around a bit will know we don't offer skulls, we award them based on a wide range of factors. You can read more about Trusted and VIP skulled status here:

https://pirates-forum.org/Thread-ThePira...l-See-Here

If anyone receives PM's from scammers offering skulls or anything else, please report them. You can report them by posting the contents of the PM in your Account Issues thread (A.I. is a private forum), or alternatively, PM a member of staff.

Thanks.
I just reported the user, I can forward the PM.
Got it, and thanks politux.

He was banned shortly after spamming half the forum. He even targeted VIP uploaders. Like they'd want to downgrade to 'super trusted.' Big Grin

If anyone receives a PM of this nature ever again, please report it.

Thanks.
Damn, I was looking forward to being Super Trusted!

Here was his PM to me:

Thepirates Wrote:SURPRISE !!! 

Now you can request a new type of upgrade in our torrent site 

Upgrade Type : SUPER TRUSTED UPLOADED 

We have choose some of top and trust uploader to be the first people to get a new upgrade 

You can request it from here : 

[link removed]

Enjoy Smile 
(Oct 03, 2018, 11:22 am)Spud17 Wrote: Some cockwomble has mass PM'd several forum members offering them a 'free upgrade' on their torrents.

To gain the laughable 'Super Trusted' status, you have to visit some shady website that looks like this forum, where no doubt you're requested to submit your bank details and god knows what else.

It's a scam, and so is the website in question. There's no such status rank as 'Super Trusted' so please ignore it.

Most of those who received such a PM will have figured out by the appalling English that it's a scam, and those who've been around a bit will know we don't offer skulls, we award them based on a wide range of factors. You can read more about Trusted and VIP skulled status here:

https://pirates-forum.org/Thread-ThePira...l-See-Here

If anyone receives PM's from scammers offering skulls or anything else, please report them. You can report them by posting the contents of the PM in your Account Issues thread (A.I. is a private forum), or alternatively, PM a member of staff.

Thanks.

The easiest workaround for this type of thing is to create a new user group eg. Newly registered users (post based group) ->, For example, all users under 5 posts will be there, disable pm feature and viola. The spammers will have a hard time to continue spamming PM.

also install this plugin https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?action=view&pid=323 it will add a very hard time for spambots to spam as it adds captcha per user groups for PMs, posts, etc.
(Oct 03, 2018, 18:01 pm)ShadowHD Wrote: The easiest workaround for this type of thing is to create a new user group eg. Newly registered users (post based group) ->, For example, all users under 5 posts will be there, disable pm feature and viola. The spammers will have a hard time to continue spamming PM.

also install this plugin https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?action=view&pid=323 it will add a very hard time for spambots to spam as it adds captcha per user groups for PMs, posts, etc.

I think that is why we have a report button, I don't think it will solve anything but just create more posts that staff would have to look at and captchas stink. Spammers and scammers gonna keep doing it, just a game of whack-a-mole.
(Oct 03, 2018, 19:57 pm)contrail Wrote:
(Oct 03, 2018, 18:01 pm)ShadowHD Wrote: The easiest workaround for this type of thing is to create a new user group eg. Newly registered users (post based group) ->, For example, all users under 5 posts will be there, disable pm feature and viola. The spammers will have a hard time to continue spamming PM.

I think that is why we have a report button, I don't think it will solve anything but just create more posts that staff would have to look at and captchas stink. Spammers and scammers gonna keep doing it, just a game of whack-a-mole.

But they wont be able to create json scripts to automatically send mass of pms and also mybb offers limiting numbers of pms that can be sent. Setting 1pm for users with less than 5 posts for example is a double win.
(Oct 03, 2018, 20:41 pm)ShadowHD Wrote: Setting 1pm for users with less than 5 posts for example is a double win.

But then we miss out on the entertainment of broken Engrish spam pm's!
I appreciate your suggestion ShadowHD but we rarely get this kind of phishing scam/spam here, and the vast majority of the fraudsters are so unbelievably stupid, they can't figure out how to activate their forum account let alone use the PM system. As a result, most of them have no choice but to post their nonsense in the Account Issues (which can only be seen by staff/crew) forum, and many even forget to post their scammy links.

We discussed creating a new user group like the one you suggested a while back, but it would just encourage new users to post a bunch of aidz in order to make the grade to post on the main forum. Plus dedicated scammers would likely post 10 or 20 normal posts, and post their crap once their account is established.

Those who've been here a while aren't likely to fall for these types of scams, but new users who don't know any different may not be so fortunate, and my main reason for posting this thread was to let people know they can report those users in confidence and that they'll be dealt with accordingly.
(Oct 04, 2018, 04:35 am)Spud17 Wrote: my main reason for posting this thread was to let people know they can report those users in confidence and that they'll be dealt with accordingly.

I can testify the forum mods are helpful and swiftly tended to all issues I submitted. Cheers to the crew!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My post in Forum Video Request disappeared hi-skor 1 5,977 May 10, 2022, 20:24 pm
Last Post: workerbee
  How could I delete my forum account? loverobotss3 5 18,334 Jan 27, 2021, 19:06 pm
Last Post: Moe
  How to Tag someone in the forum post? perfectpeachblonde 3 16,318 Apr 18, 2019, 02:36 am
Last Post: jenny
  My user page appears to be empty / only torrents from trusted members are showing up violet1143 42 79,464 Dec 13, 2017, 01:12 am
Last Post: Sid
  Why pirates-forum.org was down for a few days starfan01 5 16,191 Aug 16, 2017, 01:19 am
Last Post: EricWilliams