Samba-less LMDE 4 doesn't detect network
Just downloaded and installed LMDE for the first time on a secondhand laptop, and because I don't want it to be a file server, I did not install the samba package. What I want this LMDE 4  setup to do is to simply browse computers on the network that my laptop connects to when it's at home. I already have two other computers doing that task; both are servers and clients.

When I decide to browse a network list, it shows no computers and it says "Failed to retrieve share list from server; Invalid argument." I tried filling out the path list, for computer names no dice, IP address, nothing, and individual shares (i.e. smb://Computername/Folder), no effect.

I discovered that there was indeed an smb.conf even though I didn't install samba. Because I saw it there, i added some lines:

Code:
name resolve order = bcast lmhosts wins
client max protocol = SMB3
client min protocol = NT1

That's all that I added, I swear.

I believe I solved (or had help to) a problem like this a short time ago with Mint's Main Editions and that was with browsing and sharing; the solution was to install gvfs-backend to view the shares and samba itself to share. As well, to share, I had to add the following:

Code:
name resolve order = bcast lmhosts wins
server min protocol = NT1
server max protocol = SMB2

However, that was Ubuntu's Mint variant, this is LMDE 4, and the purpose is different; I don't want to share on this one.

An addition before I conclude this message: I tried to restart the smbd server, and I failed, both with service and systectl syntax. I guess I can't do that without samba.

OK, I'm finished.
it is both a client and a server. If you don't have it installed, you can't mount network shares using that protocol. Most distros do have a client only package, but it will come with some dependencies.
I know. I just need to get the file manager, Nemo, to browse shares from other connected computers.

To that end, I don't think I need to get the samba package; I would do fine with a client-only package.

RobertX Wrote:... I don't want it to be a file server...
I think you need to go back and re-read my post.

Samba is a protocol, not a server.
I know that.

File servers and clients share and access files through the SMB protocol (Server Message Block), which was made into Samba, an open source implementation of SMB.

What I was trying to do on this LMDE 4 laptop is to access network shares from other computers in my home LAN without downloading the files needed to share because I don't want to share files on my laptop.

When not connected to my home network, I want to take it out to connect to the Wi-Fi if the pandemic is under control. That, I imagine however, will be a little long. But while it's here at home, I'm not going to share files at home so the samba package, the one which deploys the files to share, which I don't want. I apologise if I don't immediately sound like someone who knows what he's saying, but I assure you, I do know facts.

Anyhow, I did find a workaround, not a problem-solver. I just used the file manager's "Connect to Server" feature, where it can be accessed in the File menu. Here it is:

[Image: 18465c267e9ed48f2e1c7252d4b74ca8dd42fb97.jpg]

Thanks for trying to help, Moe.
Just mount your network drives as needed with cifs (part of samba).

mkdir /C
mount -t cifs -o username=guest,password= //192.168.1.10/C /C

(this is for a Win machine with no passwords)

N.B.: This is a local subnet so should not be accessible over a WAN.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two network cards in one PC: is it possible? RobertX 18 49,608 Apr 20, 2022, 08:47 am
Last Post: stts2
  How would I connect Mint machine to a Wi-Fi network RobertX 0 15,747 Aug 16, 2021, 10:28 am
Last Post: RobertX
  Network Without Internet RobertX 11 42,755 May 02, 2021, 19:57 pm
Last Post: RobertX
  xsane and simple-scane: how do they detect scanners on the network? RobertX 1 24,829 Mar 02, 2021, 14:57 pm
Last Post: BoxerLara
  MacOSX and Samba RobertX 6 19,884 Jun 28, 2020, 16:48 pm
Last Post: waregim