(REQ) Ouija Shark
(May 24, 2024, 18:40 pm)ocagwdwv Wrote:
(May 24, 2024, 14:00 pm)NexusWraith Wrote: Filmed on a budget of $300. Not a joke.

Direct-to-dumpster garbage like this is one reason I stopped buying their mainstream (Mike, Kevin, & Bill) riffs. This is not a sincere effort by RiffTrax to "make movies funny". It's a piece of crap they can slap "RiffTrax" on, shovel out to Amazon and Tubi, and hope that enough people accidentally leave it running long enough that they get a few bucks out of it.

I agree with you 100%.  I wrote this comment back in 2021 and it unfortunately still holds true:  The Film Crew and early to mid Rifftrax (until they stopped riffing mainstream movies) was the Golden Age.

Watch the The Two Towers and/or The Return of the King (if you need them) and when it's all over I want you (not you specifically but you included) to tell me that the same company that created those is the same company that exists now.  Nowadays it takes a 6 figure Kickstarter stretch goal to force them to riff a Hollywood movie.
Yeah some of the trash films are just trash but they obviously have an audience otherwise there'd be no mst3k, and likely far more profitable as regular content. Ofc I too would prefer a lot more mainstream riffs but it's a business and the trio won't be doing this forever. We should respect that especially as pirates. Besides which a lot of the riffable Hollywood films these days are miniseries that don't get renewed, and afaik they've only riffed single episodes of GoT and Stranger Things because of legal issues.
(May 25, 2024, 12:05 pm)javelinbunny Wrote:
(May 24, 2024, 14:00 pm)NexusWraith Wrote: Filmed on a budget of $300. Not a joke.

Direct-to-dumpster garbage like this is one reason I stopped buying their mainstream (Mike, Kevin, & Bill) riffs. This is not a sincere effort by RiffTrax to "make movies funny". It's a piece of crap they can slap "RiffTrax" on, shovel out to Amazon and Tubi, and hope that enough people accidentally leave it running long enough that they get a few bucks out of it.

I agree with you 100%.  I wrote this comment back in 2021 and it unfortunately still holds true:  The Film Crew and early to mid Rifftrax (until they stopped riffing mainstream movies) was the Golden Age.

Watch the The Two Towers and/or The Return of the King (if you need them) and when it's all over I want you (not you specifically but you included) to tell me that the same company that created those is the same company that exists now.  Nowadays it takes a 6 figure Kickstarter stretch goal to force them to riff a Hollywood movie.
Yeah some of the trash films are just trash but they obviously have an audience otherwise there'd be no mst3k, and likely far more profitable as regular content. Ofc I too would prefer a lot more mainstream riffs but it's a business and the trio won't be doing this forever. We should respect that especially as pirates. Besides which a lot of the riffable Hollywood films these days are miniseries that don't get renewed, and afaik they've only riffed single episodes of GoT and Stranger Things because of legal issues.

Legal issues? Is that why they don't do anymore disney movies or any of the shows? (Book of boba was so bad, i had hoped they'd tear that show a new one. Or even riffing shazam 2 and the like).
(May 25, 2024, 17:49 pm)Taddghostal Wrote:

Legal issues? Is that why they don't do anymore disney movies or any of the shows? (Book of boba was so bad, i had hoped they'd tear that show a new one. Or even riffing shazam 2 and the like).

I doubt it's legal issues.  It's probably more that they just prefer selling VOD riffs.  That way anyone can buy them.  If you do just the mp3 riffs of stuff you can't license for distribution, then only people that have access to the video themselves (streaming, DVD, etc) are potential customers.  Over the years, they've probably found that getting $10-$15 for a VOD riff just has a way better return, even after licensing costs, than the few bucks for an mp3-only riff.
(May 25, 2024, 19:01 pm)ageekyguy Wrote:

I doubt it's legal issues.  It's probably more that they just prefer selling VOD riffs.  That way anyone can buy them.  If you do just the mp3 riffs of stuff you can't license for distribution, then only people that have access to the video themselves (streaming, DVD, etc) are potential customers.  Over the years, they've probably found that getting $10-$15 for a VOD riff just has a way better return, even after licensing costs, than the few bucks for an mp3-only riff.
Agreed. Plus, they can't edit out 10-20 minutes per film like they can for a VOD.
The mainstream movies are by far some of my least revisited riffs. They drop a stinker VOD every once in awhile but they hit far more than they miss for me. I can laugh at trash like Ouija Shark and Feeders, I'll take those way before Marvel movie #632 or whatever
(May 25, 2024, 19:22 pm)hitzjeff Wrote:
(May 24, 2024, 18:40 pm)ocagwdwv Wrote: I agree with you 100%.  I wrote this comment back in 2021 and it unfortunately still holds true:  The Film Crew and early to mid Rifftrax (until they stopped riffing mainstream movies) was the Golden Age.

Agreed. Plus, they can't edit out 10-20 minutes per film like they can for a VOD.

The edits never bothered me like some others.  Sometimes the movies (and the riff) improve with some stuff cut out.  I don't always need the equivalent of ten straight minutes of Rock Climbing or Refueling sequences.
(May 25, 2024, 19:28 pm)billythefist Wrote: The mainstream movies are by far some of my least revisited riffs. They drop a stinker VOD every once in awhile but they hit far more than they miss for me. I can laugh at trash like Ouija Shark and Feeders, I'll take those way before Marvel movie #632 or whatever

Agreed. My favorite riffs are the stuff I've never heard of before them like Rollergator or Ghosthouse.
(May 25, 2024, 20:00 pm)ageekyguy Wrote:
(May 25, 2024, 19:22 pm)hitzjeff Wrote:
(May 25, 2024, 12:05 pm)javelinbunny Wrote: Yeah some of the trash films are just trash but they obviously have an audience otherwise there'd be no mst3k, and likely far more profitable as regular content. Ofc I too would prefer a lot more mainstream riffs but it's a business and the trio won't be doing this forever. We should respect that especially as pirates. Besides which a lot of the riffable Hollywood films these days are miniseries that don't get renewed, and afaik they've only riffed single episodes of GoT and Stranger Things because of legal issues.

The edits never bothered me like some others.  Sometimes the movies (and the riff) improve with some stuff cut out.  I don't always need the equivalent of ten straight minutes of Rock Climbing or Refueling sequences.

I’d like to thank me for flying Me Airways.
Just getting around to this flick.

When it comes to women, the director sure has a type, doesn't he?

This thing is also "totes random and sus."

Also, the twist ending, yall. I can 100% say I didn't see it coming, but it is quite topical.  9n top of that I dig a good end credits riff.  All in all it got a few laughs from me, I liked it. So there.
(May 25, 2024, 19:01 pm)ageekyguy Wrote: I doubt it's legal issues.  It's probably more that they just prefer selling VOD riffs.  That way anyone can buy them.  If you do just the mp3 riffs of stuff you can't license for distribution, then only people that have access to the video themselves (streaming, DVD, etc) are potential customers.  Over the years, they've probably found that getting $10-$15 for a VOD riff just has a way better return, even after licensing costs, than the few bucks for an mp3-only riff.
I was just guessing. You don't want Disney/Netflix/Amazon on your ass (not just legally), which they're far more likely to be than traditional Hollywood. It does seem to be mostly/all about the licensing.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  She Gods of Shark Reef (MJB) peephalk 11 1,796 Aug 26, 2024, 15:17 pm
Last Post: intransitivelie
  Jurassic Shark peephalk 24 22,242 May 13, 2024, 17:16 pm
Last Post: JetJaguar73
  The Last Shark (HD upgrade) billythefist 8 5,669 Jul 27, 2023, 23:10 pm
Last Post: billythefist
  Jurassic Shark (blu-ray upgrade) billythefist 3 4,927 Jul 12, 2023, 12:37 pm
Last Post: jhs39
  Rifftrax The Last Shark HD boejob 12 13,951 Jul 16, 2022, 12:05 pm
Last Post: Johnny Mo