Opera launches desktop version of its free unlimited VPN
[img=980x0]http://www.msfn.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/opera-software-650x340.png[/img]

If privacy when surfing the World Wide Web is something you value, then using a virtual private network (VPN) to obscure your surfing patterns is a must.
While most VPNs either require a subscription fee or installing additional software on your PC, Opera’s latest update to its stable desktop browser version adds VPN functionality for free and turning it on is as simple as clicking a button.
Powered by Opera subsidiary SurfEasy, the VPN uses a 256-bit AES encrypted connection and does not log your browsing history. Users can choose from five server locations: Canada, Germany, the Netherlands, Singapore and the United States, or let the browser select the most optimal server.
The free VPN for its desktop browser follows the company’s previous announcement back in April where this feature was made available on the developer version of its browser.
The company also introduced a mobile VPN service for both iOS and Android.
Other new features in the updated browser include Chromecast support, automatic battery saving for unplugged laptops and support for RSS feeds with the newsreader feature.
Opera says the VPN should be fast enough for watching video in HD (that’s 1,280×720 pixels) but will also depend on the user’s location to the VPN server.
Opera says this depends on the network situation as well, as most video sites have adaptive streaming protocol built-in.
The updated Opera browser can be downloaded here.

Source: http://www.msfn.org/2016/09/20/opera-lau...mited-vpn/ 
Keep in mind that Opera is closed source software. If you truly value your privacy you will seek help elsewhere.
(Sep 22, 2016, 21:22 pm)politux Wrote: Keep in mind that Opera is closed source software. If you truly value your privacy you will seek help elsewhere.

That statement makes no sense what-so-ever to post - unless you are just talking browsers - as all VPN providers require that you go through their servers for any connections - which means you are just hoping and trusting that they abide by whatever privacy policy they have.
'Open Source'  for VPN use does not guarantee, in any way, that your connection or communications are not stored, sniffed or logged. Using an Open Source client only gives a sense of trust in that the source code of the client software can be audited for any anomalies.
There are no known so-called 'Open Source' VPN protocols - as all a VPN is is an encrypted 'tunnel' to pass information back and forth (layman's terms), which is set by a standards committee for encryption strength requirements (ie., NIST).
(Sep 23, 2016, 01:21 am)Carjacker Wrote:
(Sep 22, 2016, 21:22 pm)politux Wrote: Keep in mind that Opera is closed source software. If you truly value your privacy you will seek help elsewhere.

That statement makes no sense what-so-ever to post - unless you are just talking browsers - as all VPN providers require that you go through their servers for any connections - which means you are just hoping and trusting that they abide by whatever privacy policy they have.
'Open Source'  for VPN use does not guarantee, in any way, that your connection or communications are not stored, sniffed or logged. Using an Open Source client only gives a sense of trust in that the source code of the client software can be audited for any anomalies.
There are no known so-called 'Open Source' VPN protocols - as all a VPN is is an encrypted 'tunnel' to pass information back and forth (layman's terms), which is set by a standards committee for encryption strength requirements (ie., NIST).

If the people behind the Opera VPN are the same people behind the browser (probably). I'd say you are safe to browse just about anywhere, as Opera is Norwegian and Norway is extremely apathetic as to what people use the Internet for.
However, Norwegians are also Extremely fast to run with their tail between their legs if confronted. So if any U.S plaintiff requests your IP from a particular action you've performed, be prepared to have your whole life served up on a silver platter.

For VPNs in general, I'd recommend anything Chinese or Russian. You don't need to be able to understand the VPN's language, just be able to translate their TOS and figure out how to turn it on/off. Chinese and Russians in general are more likely to become true democracy before giving up anything to U.S lawyers/courts
I think Opera was recently purchased by a Chinese consortium. So going by the thumbs up for a Chinese product (^), we are probably doubly safe ! Wink

https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/18/oper...0-million/

I wonder if this feature is just an extension of sorts of the 'Turbo' mode that already exists in Opera.
More Info: http://www.opera.com/blogs/news/2016/04/...acity-vpn/

Anyway, nice to know.

I keep
one benefit of opera is that it has one of the lowest usage of all browsers making it less attractive to hackers. another point is the browser is the only thing that is anonymous not your torrent client.
(Oct 31, 2016, 11:33 am)Mantic0re Wrote: OperaVPN is based on SurfEasy VPN (that Opera bought about 2 years ago) and SurfEasy is based in Canada. They do keep bandwidth and usage logs, however those logs are only temporary. For privacy minded users I suggest trying NordVPN or PureVPN. They cost no more than a fiver a month and with that amount of money you get the best VPN on the market with top notch features.

Pure VNP is what I used. Seems like many are offering a 2 year deal. My renewal is up. Not sure what I'll do but I looked up Opera VPN and got a NORD VPN popup that looked impressive but what do the rest of you guys think?
nordvpn.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which VPN Providers Take Anonymity Seriously? demonS 161 526,670 Feb 21, 2024, 10:30 am
Last Post: solid_gamer_guy
  Apple is tracking you even when its own privacy settings say it’s not Resurgence 4 11,345 Nov 11, 2023, 06:54 am
Last Post: lustrous
  VPN, and Tor: Navigating TPB lustrous 2 2,626 Nov 11, 2023, 06:41 am
Last Post: lustrous
  VPN mandatory? Puckje 5 7,897 Aug 26, 2023, 05:33 am
Last Post: RobertX
  Which VPN Services Keep You Anonymous in 2018? Ernesto 19 128,180 Jun 29, 2023, 14:04 pm
Last Post: sherb