Onion and Tor
I am determined to stick with TBP to the bitter end.

And its been quite a while that it has been regularly available on HTTPS.

Am quite happy to use Tor/Onion. On a VPN.

The problem I am having is that Tor,is designed, and rightfully so, be be fully armored.
That is a good thing.

Except for the type of torrenting I typically do, which even the MPAA would likely yawn at, I can use a lighter shielded, but more accomodating version of TorBroweser, perhaps more amenable to addons, like scripts and utilities to simply make life easier - like click/activate links.

Or perhaps, a FF ESR version that can be hacked to do onion links.

I realize the security issues involved, but they would be running on a system with no real security issues, as my primary machines would even be turned off!

OK getting late, making typos, but gist of idea is a TorBrowser Lite on a VPN. Any ideas???
Before Tor Browser there was a connection app, it was like a VPN, bridging all your traffic thru the Tor network - but it was deprecated, dunno why.
you can look for that and also alternative Tor browsers. (just a start - https://fossbytes.com/best-alternatives-...onymously/)
You don't need to run tor over a VPN. If you are doing that just so you don't have to turn the VPN on and off to accommodate your torrent client, that is fine.

You can probably re-enable functionality that tor browser disables, or you can use your own browser with tor. tor browser is actually two parts: tor itself running as a proxy that the browser is pre-configured to use.

Either download and install tor separately or continue to start tor browser, but not actually use the browser. Just configure the browser of your choice to use tor as a proxy.

Personally, I have the foxy proxy add-on for Firefox that automatically routes .onion addresses through tor and leaves the rest be so I don't need multiple browsers. Mind you, this defeats a lot of the security offered by tor browser, but for just visiting TPB's .onion, it is fine.
Got it working, in a fashion, though TPB is down. On the forum site cannot navigate without constant logins, using Palemoon. Cant find a version for my FF 50. Dont like 57+.

Foxyproxy wizard defaults to port 9050. It is 9150.

Update: Clickable links in Palemoon for TPB!

Oh joy Smile
Hello, i am an aspiring java-developer and i have been itching to start using Tor browser a long time now but havent gotten the courage to do so.
One thing i found weird is that the american government is funding Tor and it goes through nodes that google holds?

Isn't that kind of far away from being anonymous? Or am i missing something`?
Tor was created by the US Navy. Nothing is anonymous. I use tor because it allows me to get to TPB not because it's anonymous.
(Dec 12, 2018, 08:52 am)habelo Wrote: Hello, i am an aspiring java-developer and i have been itching to start using Tor browser a long time now but havent gotten the courage to do so.
One thing i found weird is that the american government is funding Tor and it goes through nodes that google holds?

Isn't that kind of far away from being anonymous? Or am i missing something`?

TOR is Open Source, and while it WAS designed by the military for the navy, no one has been able to find any weak spots in the code. It was designed to withstand literally a (foreign) army of hackers.

The NSA was behind some of the basic cryptography used on the net. The backdoor they designed was simple: The hash was based on using the computer clock as a seed. That is a finite number of numbers to crunch through, and could be broken in hours to weeks.

The point being is that if they are after you, a VPN is probably safer than TOR, but the reality is that if you permit updates, or open emails they will simply backdoor a trojan to steal your keys. At which point there is zero security or anonymity.

But TOR is a decent step, and I often use it with my VPN aside from TPB when I want a little extra security. Add Psiphon to the bunch, and it really gets interesting.
yesyes be very caution but also must trust in tor project. theee is reasin why darknet stell safe, read Snwden nsa intops sldies. "will never be able to denonymise" very true come straight from "horse mouth". vpn, be very caution vpn sell data to LE and you locked up yes. one problem vpn nsa may sneak ugl heads into vpb office and stealsteal data. then locked up, be cery cution. vpn nt safer than tor you wrong about that yes. tor attak need enter n exit node yes vpn atack need vpn log see diffrence. yes other attaks but mostly do not concern with tor user only tor site. be ery thoghtful remeber LE and INTA human not god. money do but so much they not have brightest mind on planet, good side do. is why alwyas one step ahead of LE without fails. is why onymous idd npt ruin all darknet. ouy sometime right of "update trojan" yes but not update worse. not updat nsa time have to backdor. always hapen. new version mabe nsa backdor but no no they exposed before long. after, people wary and they exposed. like said tor is opensource yes. so ridle this what hapen when sum frm opensource code not match new tor. you answer this please. and wethinking about vpn + tor and is concluding bad idea yes. vpn server open tor conection, before that not anonymous. so secnd ridle what happen when LE control vpn server. very bad things no? you answer both riddle and you aswer soon.
(Dec 05, 2018, 09:54 am)dueda Wrote: Before Tor Browser there was a connection app, it was like a VPN, bridging all your traffic thru the Tor network - but it was deprecated, dunno why.
you can look for that and also alternative Tor browsers. (just a start - https://fossbytes.com/best-alternatives-...onymously/)

You're thinking of Tor Button - Firefox was changing too quickly at the time for Tor Project to keep up with it. They decided to make a fork of Firefox ESR (the Tor Browser Bundle, now just Tor Browser) to solve this problem.
(Dec 26, 2018, 14:17 pm)somerandomtoruser Wrote: You're thinking of Tor Button...

Probably; it's so long...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Programmer/possible business partner needed for onion site. Samwoo 3 6,857 May 31, 2023, 09:01 am
Last Post: stacey
  looking to create onion site lancerackslol 0 9,205 Aug 02, 2022, 11:32 am
Last Post: lancerackslol
  TOR CAPTCHA for TPB? LowOrbit 2 17,591 Apr 30, 2015, 15:42 pm
Last Post: LowOrbit
  Tribler Makes BitTorrent Anonymous With Built-in Tor-like Network Ernesto 2 14,505 Sep 05, 2014, 13:50 pm
Last Post: frostyon420