Novels about Totalitarianism
Hey guys, I was recommended to read a 1935 dystopian novel by Sinclair Lewis titled "It Can't Happen Here," a story that imitates the rise of Adolf Hitler, the same one we all know and love.

Anyone here read it or can recommend something different?

So far, as dystopian novels go, I've read Animal Farm and Nineteen Eighty-Four, both by George Orwell. Only a cave dweller hasn't at least heard of them. Big Grin

The door is currently open for suggestions.
From the SciFi dept:
* A lot of Phillip K Dick's stuff: "The Man In The High Castle", "A Scanner Darkly", "VALIS" to name a few
* "Starship Troopers" by Heinlein
* Huxley's "Brave New World"

Other stuff:
* Kafka's "The Trial" and "The Penal Colony"
* Jung Chang's "Wild Swan" portraying the Chinese cultural revolution and great leap forward under Mao
* Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia"
ill88eagle, is "Other Stuff" a non-finctional account?
Uhm- Kafka's stuff is not, but the other two, yes. Homage to Catalonia is Orwell's account of his time fighting in the Spanish civil war
Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury, and A Clockwork Orange should also be included here. Good movies, too.

Of note: Huxley's Brave New World is considered the antithesis of 1984, and is frequently referred to in dystopian discussions. There's a 70's movie of it also.
Soma vs Big Brother.
Gotta lovve Fahrenheit 451.

Just saw the 60s version of the movie with Cyril Cusack.

I also the Peacock version of Brave New World as well; unfortunately, it's discontinued.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top 10 novels that you loved the most ? ? Riichu 11 34,083 Dec 27, 2017, 02:29 am
Last Post: RobertX
  Writers or Novels similar to David Lynch ? Riichu 1 15,105 Oct 01, 2017, 07:14 am
Last Post: joew771
  Novels about Literary Forgeries workerbee 1 17,588 Aug 22, 2017, 12:29 pm
Last Post: DigitalChi