New Season of MST3k Crowdfunding
Most crowdfunding tends to start off with a big spike, then get a big one at the end
Yeah, I'm betting we'll hit the first goal, MAYBE the second if there's a bigger push at the end than I think there will be. But even if we just end up with the first goal, I'll be a very happy camper. Everything else is just a bonus in my eyes.
This is probably not the popular opinion, but as a donor to season 13, I've definitely had enough. I'm wondering how rare my opinion and decision not to donate this time is... maybe season 13 was better received than I thought?
(Nov 02, 2023, 20:24 pm)Anarchemist Wrote: This is probably not the popular opinion, but as a donor to season 13, I've definitely had enough.  I'm wondering how rare my opinion and decision not to donate this time is...  maybe season 13 was better received than I thought?

I am right there with you.  In my opinion, the quality of the new MST3K pales in comparison to Rifftrax.
For me the magic has left MST, i gave to the first kickstarter for the 1st new season, but i did not give to last one nor will i for this one. I honestly hate the voice changes and etc that goes on. Yes did we have that with the original series with Tom, change in host and then later Crow. But as a heart it was the same group together. I think current writing is weaker and i find myself laughing a lot less to it all, including rifftrax, it can be hit or miss at times..
(Nov 03, 2023, 15:10 pm)stalker101 Wrote: For me the magic has left MST, i gave to the first kickstarter for the 1st new season, but i did not give to last one nor will i for this one. I honestly hate the voice changes and etc that goes on. Yes did we have that with the original series with Tom, change in host and then later Crow. But as a heart it was the same group together. I think current writing is weaker and i find myself laughing a lot less to it all, including rifftrax, it can be hit or miss at times..

I think it improved after the start of the first Netflix season, but it's still not what it once was.  It used to have a very consistent vibe with the writing team they had.  Now it's very much a "too many cooks in the kitchen" problem where there are good jokes, but they just don't gel together as well.  Rifftrax still seems to be doing well with a smaller writing team and is keeping that feel of an independent mid-western group of pals in a way MST hasn't really.

That said, I do still enjoy MST and will likely back it, but how much I chip in depends on how many episodes they look to be getting.  I can't justify $85 if they look to be on pace for only the first goal of episodes.

And The Mads Are Back doesn't have as much of a polished feel as either MST or Rifftrax, but that sort of plays to its advantage because it has a very distinct voice that you know is pure Frank and Trace.
(Nov 03, 2023, 15:56 pm)ageekyguy Wrote:
(Nov 03, 2023, 15:10 pm)stalker101 Wrote: For me the magic has left MST, i gave to the first kickstarter for the 1st new season, but i did not give to last one nor will i for this one. I honestly hate the voice changes and etc that goes on. Yes did we have that with the original series with Tom, change in host and then later Crow. But as a heart it was the same group together. I think current writing is weaker and i find myself laughing a lot less to it all, including rifftrax, it can be hit or miss at times..

I think it improved after the start of the first Netflix season, but it's still not what it once was.  It used to have a very consistent vibe with the writing team they had.  Now it's very much a "too many cooks in the kitchen" problem where there are good jokes, but they just don't gel together as well.  Rifftrax still seems to be doing well with a smaller writing team and is keeping that feel of an independent mid-western group of pals in a way MST hasn't really.

That said, I do still enjoy MST and will likely back it, but how much I chip in depends on how many episodes they look to be getting.  I can't justify $85 if they look to be on pace for only the first goal of episodes.

And The Mads Are Back doesn't have as much of a polished feel as either MST or Rifftrax, but that sort of plays to its advantage because it has a very distinct voice that you know is pure Frank and Trace.
I agree with both of you. I look forward to every new release from both RiffTrax and The Mads, but I find that it's actually a chore to watch some of those new MST3K eps and I'm just watching hoping it'll improve. The writing is definitely inferior, and sorry Kelsey, I just can't get used to "Bart Simpsonized" Crow.
(Nov 03, 2023, 15:56 pm)ageekyguy Wrote:

10 bucks a month for Frank and Trace, i'm totally happy to pay even if it's unpolished or whatever.  120 bucks per year to help Frank and Trace keep going? I'm down with that.  

MST3K has had it's time, and it's past for me now.  I'm sick of Joel asking for more and more money, and then pissing it away.  At least with Rifftrax, I know I give to their kickstarter or an episode or two here and there, I never feel ripped off with them (though the price point not changing and it's now 1 movie for rifftrax kickstarter instead of 2-3 like it used to be, does hurt, but at least they have new content monthly on their website).  Joel needs to move to a different way of producing his show, since there's no room for it on any network or established streaming service anymore.  Who gives a crap about "seasons" of this show anymore? 

If their crowdfunding that's no longer even kickstarter anymore, has a sudden pick up at the end, where it's now been exceedingly stagnant since it hit around 20%, it's because they are actually going to ohhhh pay for it themselves and inject their OWN money bc I don't think Joel will be able to handle if it fails.   Sick of his prey on nostalgia when he's had 33 episodes since "the return".
With the Rifftrax Kickstarters, I always feel like I'm getting a deal when I support it.  With all the free shorts they end up adding as stretch goals, gift card credits, Nick Nolte Detective novel, and Kevin's songs, it feels like I'm actually coming out ahead on supporting them, even if I only chip in a few bucks.  So I'm usually happy to put in enough for at least the digital downloads.

With MST, you have to throw in quite a few dollars to get much of anything, and that's not even getting to the really overpriced physical goods.
I rank Season 11 right up there with seasons 4,5 and 6. I return to Avalanche, Land That Time Forgot and a few others really often. But then came the incredibly sharp decline in season 12. I decided to blame Netflix for forcing The Gauntlet thing and a bunch of much-too-recent movies on them. So I did have high hopes for season 13 and happily donated and was excited. And then Joel decided: "2 seasons was plenty of time to get used to Jonah and his Bots, and 30 years was enough time with that format of 1 person and 2 robots on 1 SOL. Sure that's what people assumed they were paying for when they donated, but now that we have their money lets just have 3 more stars of the show. Also maybe we could do the absolute worst most painful version of the theme song. Have Tom Servo sing it. No, the other Tom Servo; the one who sings badly." This season made me angry. But over the years I have downloaded enough MST3K to tell myself the S13 donation was just payback for all the good years

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help! Seeders needed for bsg4you's MST3K S00 torrent thecellar 1 249 11 hours ago
Last Post: MATMAN
  Using AI to clean up old VHS MST3K episodes hexeract 1 235 Yesterday, 13:29 pm
Last Post: Handy
  MST3K: Fire Maidens of Outer Space and Attack of the Eye Creatures mazzy_star 0 334 Apr 23, 2024, 16:27 pm
Last Post: mazzy_star
  New Youtube account with MST3K episodes subtitled Gordon 3 841 Apr 12, 2024, 17:34 pm
Last Post: eskaton
  REQ: MST3K Tribute to...I Accuse My Parents and Overdrawn at the Memory Bank moondoggy1111 18 9,897 Apr 07, 2024, 18:41 pm
Last Post: ageekyguy