New F*** video file problem and I need a solution
I fixed the language on the Summer Lovers video but the final file is 16.5 gig

I ran it through Handbrake and it came down to 5.5 gig.

I need to get that file below 3 gig without significant quality loss.    Does anyone have any solutions !
just tinkering with h264 settings you can just render small samples (say 10 seconds) then calculate the approximate filesize based on it just multiply the filesize of the 10 sec filesize by the full duration of the video file in seconds then when youre satisfied just render the fill file,, but of course its not exactly accurate but it should be pretty close
(Jan 04, 2024, 16:12 pm)rezwaki Wrote: just tinkering with h264 settings you can just render small samples (say 10 seconds) then calculate the approximate filesize based on it just multiply the filesize of the 10 sec filesize by the full duration of the video file in seconds then when youre satisfied just render the fill file,, but of course its not exactly accurate but it should be pretty close

This doesn't help me with my problem.

The problem is scaling it down and keeping video quality

UPDATE !
I got it down to 3 gig and the quality seems to be acceptable
I saw you solved your problem already, but thought I'd share my 2 cents anyway.

You can't really get 100% consistent quality (frame to frame) unless you use something like a CRF (Constant Rate Factor) value. If you just use a constant bitrate, or even variable bitrate (2-pass encoding) you will get uneven quality. The downside with CRF is that the resulting file size is completely unpredictable. It will depend on the amount of motion and detail in the source video file. But if quality is your main concern, then it's still the way to go IMHO.

What I do (to find the optimal settings) is to just push the settings down until I start seeing serious quality degradation, and then I carefully increase the settings again until the quality is to my liking.

Beyond that, the most impactful thing you can do is choose a modern codec, like H265 / HEVC, or AV1. They take a long time to encode compared to H264, but the compression is substantially more efficient, which means you can get very good quality at lower bitrates / settings than the older codecs.
(Jan 08, 2024, 06:41 am)Fant0men Wrote: What I do (to find the optimal settings) is to just push the settings down until I start seeing serious quality degradation, and then I carefully increase the settings again until the quality is to my liking.

I had been hoping that there was an easier method but there's not.  So, I just kept tinkering with the settings until I got the desired result.
Reducing the file size of a video to below 3 GB without significant loss in quality can be challenging, but it's certainly achievable. Here are some strategies you can use, focusing primarily on Handbrake since you've already used it:

Adjust the Bitrate: The bitrate significantly affects the file size and quality of the video. In Handbrake, you can choose a lower bitrate to reduce the file size. Use the 'Average Bitrate (kbps)' option and gradually lower the bitrate until you reach the desired file size. Be cautious, as reducing it too much can lead to a noticeable quality drop.

Use 2-Pass Encoding: In Handbrake, enable the 2-pass encoding option. This takes longer but can lead to better quality at lower bitrates, as it allows the encoder to allocate bits more efficiently.

Optimize the Video Codec: If you haven't already, consider using the H.265 (HEVC) codec instead of H.264. H.265 offers better data compression at the same level of video quality, or even better quality at the same bitrate, which can significantly reduce file size.

Adjust the Resolution: If the video is in very high resolution (like 4K), reducing it to 1080p or lower can decrease the file size substantially with minimal impact on visual quality, especially on smaller screens.

Fine-Tune the Quality Settings: In Handbrake, under the 'Video' tab, you can adjust the 'RF' (Rate Factor) slider to manage quality. Lower numbers mean higher quality (and larger file size), while higher numbers mean lower quality (and smaller file size). Experiment with this setting to find a balance.

Audio Compression: Check the audio settings. Often, videos have high-quality audio tracks that significantly increase file size. You can reduce the bitrate of the audio without greatly affecting the overall experience.

Remove Unnecessary Tracks: If the video has multiple audio tracks or subtitle tracks that are not needed, remove them to save space.

Framerate: If the video has a high frame rate (like 60fps), consider reducing it to 30fps. This can also reduce the file size without major impacts on most types of content.

Test and Compare: It's a good practice to encode a small portion of the video with your new settings to quickly assess quality and file size, then adjust accordingly.

Other Software Options: While Handbrake is very effective, there are other software tools like FFmpeg that offer advanced controls, which might provide more efficient compression with retained quality.

Remember, video compression always involves a trade-off between size and quality. The key is finding the right balance for your specific needs.
How did you do it exactly, LadyAnne3?
Possible easy solution. Download one of the existing videos and mux in the French audio. If it is in sync, job done.

Can judge better if Mediainfo was present.
SectorVector, how does a layman/beginner do it?
MKVToolNix is widely used. Use mkvtoolnix-gui.exe to add the necessary tracks and then use the tool to MUX them into a single mkv.
MKV/MP4 is just a container for many tracks. Add the ones you need, one by one using the GUI. It is a very quick and easy process.

ffmpeg, VLC can also be used.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Search for an AI video editor and get flooded with shit ! Ladyanne3 6 1,449 Jan 31, 2024, 21:36 pm
Last Post: Ladyanne3
  antivirus keeps deleting the exe file on a game. Ladyanne3 3 2,810 Nov 01, 2023, 19:25 pm
Last Post: RobertX
  Login Problem HoangFPS 2 3,430 Sep 20, 2023, 01:31 am
Last Post: kron
  Audio problem alienvirus 3 8,692 Jul 28, 2022, 06:39 am
Last Post: am a giant
  Can someone help me fix the "Connecting to peers" problem? junebug982 2 8,343 Jun 28, 2022, 17:05 pm
Last Post: junebug982