Join the LiNUX movie release group
Posting the latest version of the ripping script:
https://pastebin.com/4TmAdGbR

Nothing exciting. I think I've added support for most audio formats that are relevant now. I've added them as I go along, when I run into a BluRay that has that audio format. The script is set to prefer DTS-HD MA, which it will in turn extract the core DTS track from. This will generate the highest audio quality for the filesize I'm after. If HD MA isn't available, it will choose either TrueHD, PCM, FLAC, DTS or AC3 (in that order). If you transcode a TrueHD, PCM or FLAC track to DTS that will also generate good quality, since those formats are lossless, but of course DTS-HD MA is preferred. The script will always prefer a 5.1 track, but if not available it'll pick whatever is there, 1st track in the list of the 1st available audio format (in the order I just mentioned). I decided to always output DTS audio for my rips for consistency, so people always know what they're getting.

Here are my torrents as of now:
https://thepiratebay.org/search.php?q=user:Fant0men

The 2 torrents in the bottom of the list are just collections and not my own rips. The next 2 torrents are not done by this script but have a lower bitrate.

I hope that people will look at some of my rips, see that the quality is very good, and start using the script themselves to make more HEVC rips available on various trackers. Most people who rip in HEVC / x265 use a very low bitrate, and I think that's wasteful considering what the codec is actually capable of once you up the bitrate a bit.
Posting the latest version of the script. Improved some minor things. Also, added a part to the 'dts_extract' function which extracts the FLAC track of an input file, decodes that to (uncompressed) WAV, to figure out the correct output bitrate. This part of the 'get_bitrate' function will only run if FLAC is the chosen input audio format. There are 2 choices for output bitrate, 768 kbps and 1536 kbps, since those are the standard DTS bitrates. One of them will be chosen automatically depending on if the input bitrate is closer to 768 or 1536.  The one downside is that the script now requires 'flac'.

https://pastebin.com/sLj2ueWb
What are the system requirements to run your scripts?

I use a Pentium 4 2.8BGHz (go ahead, laugh!) to burn my videos to DVD to put my collection to watch on TV. Of course, if I have to, I can run the script on my Linux Mint computer which is much better (AMD, forgot which one).

Now, just spill your guts and tell us the system requirements, and I'll see if I can run it.

EDIT: Another note: when ripping Blu Rays, is it necessary to already have a Cinavia defeater on hand? How do I get around that when using your script?
(Jun 03, 2020, 01:43 am)RobertX Wrote: What are the system requirements to run your scripts?

I use a Pentium 4 2.8BGHz (go ahead, laugh!) to burn my videos to DVD to put my collection to watch on TV. Of course, if I have to, I can run the script on my Linux Mint computer which is much better (AMD, forgot which one).

Now, just spill your guts and tell us the system requirements, and I'll see if I can run it.

EDIT: Another note: when ripping Blu Rays, is it necessary to already have a Cinavia defeater on hand? How do I get around that when using your script?

As, I was saying in the other thread. You need a fast CPU for HEVC encoding. Sorry for not answering here, but I didn't know this was the source of your post. I only saw QiikSand's repost of your post in the other thread, hence I answered there.

Speaking about copy protection on BluRay discs themselves, I'm not an expert on the actual copying of files directly from a BluRay disc. I just get my source files from torrents, BluRay remuxes mostly. I don't even have a BluRay drive, because I'd have to get an external USB3 one, and they're sort of expensive.

So I've been focused on the actual encoding part, not ripping the files off the disc. If you don't know how to do that, you'll have to do some research or ask others who know I guess. Feel free to share anything you learn.
Okeydokey, so I noticed a problem with my script and fixed it. Turns out when you merge a title that spans multiple BluRay discs you have to use a different method when handling the resulting file. Script is fixed now. Here's the latest version:

https://pastebin.com/a4kvbwpL

# 2020-06-07
# Rewrote a part of the 'dts_extract' function, so that it now can
# handle both the extraction of the DTS track, as well as making the
# remux. Hence, the 'remux_mkv' function is now gone, and the
# 'dts_extract' function has been renamed to 'dts_extract_remux'.
# I did this since it seems to be more reliable, when it comes to
# keeping audio and video synced when the input file / title is merged
# from multiple BluRay discs using mkvmerge like this:
# mkvmerge -o full.mkv part1.mkv + part2.mkv
https://pastebin.com/eyR1YsS9

Added a function in the script which checks the resolution of the input file, to make sure it's 1080p, no lower and no higher, since that's the intended resolution of the output file. Otherwise, video bitrate would need to be adjusted, if people are going to use the script to rip input files in other resolutions. 720p is too low a resolution. It doesn't look good to me, and that's why I won't even bother with it. 2160p is overkill for the vast majority of people, and it would require a higher video bitrate which would make the output file even larger than it already is. 5 gigs is large enough for most people, and too large for many, apparently.
How would I adjust the script to use 720p. I dont care about quality on videos, as long as it isnt a CAM.
(Jun 10, 2020, 17:02 pm)waregim Wrote: How would I adjust the script to use 720p. I dont care about quality on videos, as long as it isnt a CAM.

You would need to lower the bitrate, maybe you could use 2500 as bitrate instead of 5000. I think that might be a good bitrate for 720p. You could ofc go even lower if you want. You'd need to change the 'v_bitrate' variable. And also the 'rls_type', variable to say 720p instead of 1080p. And also comment out the line that runs the 'check_res' function at the end of the script.

The point being though, there are no 720p BluRays as far as I know, but the only way to make a BluRay 720p is to downscale it, so if you have a 720p file that has already been encoded / compressed by someone else. It's a bad idea to re-encode something that has already been encoded before, due to the lossy nature of most video / audio codecs.

It's really a better idea to just download someone else's 720p rip if you don't care about quality. It's completely pointless to re-encode someone else's rip, as you will only lower the quality with zero benefits. You might even make the output file larger than the input file, which defeats the purpose of encoding altogether. No need to use HEVC either in that scenario, since it takes a lot longer to encode, and there's no point to it if you don't want stellar quality.

However, if you have a genuine BluRay source file (full BluRay disc or remux), then you could downscale that yourself. You'd have to check the options for HandBrakeCLI and adjust the HandBrake command in the 'hb_encode' function, to downscale from 1080p to 720p. In that case.
That information is actually incorrect, 720p Blu Rays do actually exist it's just that you don't realise.  At least now you know, I guess we can't always know everything that's why it's a good idea to post about it.
(Jun 10, 2020, 17:38 pm)RodneyYouPlonker Wrote: That information is actually incorrect, 720p Blu Rays do actually exist it's just that you don't realise.  At least now you know, I guess we can't always know everything that's why it's a good idea to post about it.

Okay then. Didn't know that since I've never run into one myself.

https://www.videosolo.com/tutorials/blu-...Blu%2Dray.

According to this link there are only two resolutions on commercial BluRay discs, 1080p and 2160p. So, I don't know if I believe what you say, that there supposedly also exists 720p discs. Maybe there are 720p bootleg discs and things like that, but I find it hard to believe that any movie studio would want to release a 720p BluRay. Even when BluRay was a new video format, 1080p (full HD) was already a standard, so why would they ever release a movie with lower res than that?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to join The Void! Tutorial! lustrous 0 677 Feb 12, 2024, 15:18 pm
Last Post: lustrous
  Hunter Biden laptop new release WW3hasstarted 0 4,784 Jun 02, 2023, 12:47 pm
Last Post: WW3hasstarted
  Anonymous group Youtube and Torum??? Escbar 1 11,509 Oct 24, 2021, 16:46 pm
Last Post: Escbar
  Linux waregim 2 16,796 May 17, 2021, 12:54 pm
Last Post: waregim
  Five Reasons NOT to Switch to GNU/Linux RobertX 9 16,864 Dec 24, 2020, 03:58 am
Last Post: waregim