Poll: It is still worth learning C++?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, it does
66.67%
2 66.67%
No, it doesn't
33.33%
1 33.33%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

It is still worth to learn C++?
Nowdays, there are so many programming languages and I am wondering... It is still worth learning C++? I know it is a base programming language but it's still worth learning it if there are any other methods of programming? (I am referring to software developement)
I would say so, even C is worth learning.

C++ is still the programming standard for many Windows applications and libraries as well as games. It employs object-oriented aspects.

Moreover, since it is portable, you can use it for GNU/Linux or Mac OSX. In fact, OSX is programmed in C++.
Okey.. Thanks for info Smile
Yes. C++ might not be used a lot more now then what it was used in the early years or before now. But it's a great starting point for many reasons. I started with Visual Basic (the one using Microsoft Word, the Macro versions, it had the windows form, and all). But moved to C++ because I found it was used almost everywhere excluding web development. But a lot of books back then, and probably now that use C++, went through a lot of stages and steps of software engineering and following agile methodologies, and what not. But I chose it because it was more "down to hardware level" (not 100% but close enough). I wanted to be able to write code that would interact with the operating system, but as well as drivers because now I do have experience in writing custom drivers for Windows too. The reason behind this is because I wanted to try and learn how to write my own custom firewall, and anti-virus software.

So I couldn't jump into that straight away without learning the fundamentals of C++, and hardware. In good time I did write a simple anti-virus with a driver, but this was almost more than 4 years ago. But you shouldn't let other peoples suggestions influence your choices. If you want to learn to code or want to achieve a specific purpose or goal, you should choose what you think after research will reach that goal, and learn what concepts, and topics will get you there.

For example, you wouldn't use C++ for a web based user registration system with a forum, you would focus more on php, mysql, etc, and then you would more than likely read up on how to do each part ie "write a login", "write a user registration in php", etc. You would do all this to try, and achieve results or your goals. But learning the complete language from scratch, and learning the fundamentals would help you be able to use the language to write more than just the reason of achieving just a user registration system with a forum.

It's your choice. If you want to learn C, C++. Then do it! There is nothing wrong with learning and understanding various amount of languages. If you know one, you will easily pick up another. Unless its "mindf--k", that language is just a headache.
(Nov 14, 2015, 15:50 pm)CinR Wrote: Yes. C++ might not be used a lot more now then what it was used in the early years or before now. But it's a great starting point for many reasons. I started with Visual Basic (the one using Microsoft Word, the Macro versions, it had the windows form, and all). But moved to C++ because I found it was used almost everywhere excluding web development. But a lot of books back then, and probably now that use C++, went through a lot of stages and steps of software engineering and following agile methodologies, and what not. But I chose it because it was more "down to hardware level" (not 100% but close enough). I wanted to be able to write code that would interact with the operating system, but as well as drivers because now I do have experience in writing custom drivers for Windows too. The reason behind this is because I wanted to try and learn how to write my own custom firewall, and anti-virus software.

So I couldn't jump into that straight away without learning the fundamentals of C++, and hardware. In good time I did write a simple anti-virus with a driver, but this was almost more than 4 years ago. But you shouldn't let other peoples suggestions influence your choices. If you want to learn to code or want to achieve a specific purpose or goal, you should choose what you think after research will reach that goal, and learn what concepts, and topics will get you there.

For example, you wouldn't use C++ for a web based user registration system with a forum, you would focus more on php, mysql, etc, and then you would more than likely read up on how to do each part ie "write a login", "write a user registration in php", etc. You would do all this to try, and achieve results or your goals. But learning the complete language from scratch, and learning the fundamentals would help you be able to use the language to write more than just the reason of achieving just a user registration system with a forum.

It's your choice. If you want to learn C, C++. Then do it! There is nothing wrong with learning and understanding various amount of languages. If you know one, you will easily pick up another. Unless its "mindf--k", that language is just a headache.

Thank you! Very in deepth explanation. Big Grin
I decided to go with AutoIt, because my needs are strictly about GUI and performing simple operations/commands, and I guess a semi-script programming language can handle this in a much more easier way than C++ Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how can i learn to use Java efficiently Blue_Bon 10 7,458 Feb 26, 2024, 08:41 am
Last Post: RobertX
  I need to learn REST. Please point me in the right direction Ladyanne3 3 10,645 Jun 02, 2022, 10:31 am
Last Post: Ladyanne3
  Is MySQL still worth learning RobertX 16 62,753 Jun 12, 2020, 00:20 am
Last Post: RobertX
  Tribler: Still not a thing? Stuum 7 22,891 Aug 02, 2016, 14:57 pm
Last Post: Stuum