I'm going to pull a page out of Ernesto. :)
I can't find it here on the Pirate Bay, but the former owner of the TPB, now an opponent of the site, Peter Sunde, has expressed his opinions on The Pirate Bay, and now, taking a page out of Ernesto's book, I am going to air it here. I'm sorry if there was already another article regarding the same on Suprbay, but I couldn't find it. Here it goes.

Code:
http://torrentfreak.com/peter-sunde-file-sharing-is-politics-propaganda-and-control-150314/

In the beginning of The Pirate Bay's history the site was in Swedish. It was made by Swedes for their community. Other countries had their own file sharing sites but they got shut down.

I remember when one of the biggest Spanish file-sharing sites was shut down. These file sharers had nowhere to go but The Pirate Bay (TPB). All of a sudden the top list of TPB was flooded with Spanish content except for one peculiar audiobook. It was a Swedish language course.

We decided to translate the site. Not just into English but into as many languages as possible. We found people from lots of countries to chime in and help. I remember the Portuguese translation especially interesting as it was carried out by a man from Brazil. We decided that we’d make two different buttons for the translation – one for Portuguese and one for Brazilian-Portuguese. These languages differ a little. The actual (https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/) translation file was the same though.
There were words that had never been translated to Portuguese before (like “seeder”, “leecher” and “torrent” as technical terms) and for us it was funny to see that Brazil, a former colony of Portugal, had a say in how their former mother state developed their native language.

The Swedish translation gave me a similar experience. A Finnish person did most of the translation. Finland, which was part of, and ruled by, Sweden for a very long time, still has Swedish as an official language. A few words in the Swedish translation of TPB were so new that they had to be invented. Some ended up in dictionaries.
And the same thing happened for the Norwegian translation. There are two of them, since Norway has two main languages. But the main Norwegian translation was done by a person who speaks the minority language (whom just happens to also be really good at the main language). It has an effect on how the language develops.
A few years later another thing made me think quite a lot. During the height of TPB’s struggles I noticed that for the first time ever, more than 50% of the top 100 listing were things from India. Previously when TPB was localized for Sweden it felt natural that it had mostly Scandinavian or English things. But when it had become an international success, and the things being shared were not from where one thought they might be, it said something about the way the world is moving.

I just watched the movie India’s Daughter. The movie is about a gang rape (and murder) in India in 2012. The first thing that struck me was that I wanted to put it up on The Pirate Bay’s frontpage to make sure that people all over the world could see it – especially in India. Why? It’s being censored there. It’s a film that everyone needs to see. But not only is there a copyright issue, but there’s also a country-wide ban on the movie. People have tried putting it up on YouTube multiple times, but YouTube always takes the movie down due to their need to follow court orders in India.
This all puts things into perspective for me. De-centralized file sharing by virtue of peer-to-peer technology is obviously a way to get important information in and out of countries in a time of need. It’s a way to make sure that global data is not being blocked due to local corruption. It transcends the ideas of national borders. And it is highly political.
It has multiple angles. I understand now that one of the key reasons for the US to fight file-sharing might be that they don’t want India to take over their place as the number one culture. If Bollywood passes Hollywood in interest, it will be a huge loss for the US.

I am also upset that no one in TPB is doing their part. No one cares about politics anymore. It’s a technical site that is not helping a movement. I’m not talking about the file-sharing movement. But for me it’s strange that TPB is not promoting India’s Daughter to everyone globally. Especially on the international women’s day.
Sharing is political. Words are political. Communication is political. And if we don’t use the powers and voices we have, we’re on the wrong side of the struggle.

I can't find that movie either, which is a shame. I would welcome any uploader on TPB to upload India's Daughter so I too can watch it.
I'm a great admirer of Peter Sunde but that particular critique is disingenuous.

Firstly, he didn't do such things when he was running TPB so he's hardly in a position to criticise.

Secondly, and much more importantly, it would be a bad idea in every single way (which is no doubt why he didn't do it when he could have).

TPB's unique value isn't that it chooses which cause is the most just and promotes it, it's that it refuses to choose (or allow others to dictate) which causes are just and which are not. It's extremely valuable moral stand is refusing moral stances.

What TPB should do is refuse to ever delete the torrent if any of the sites users ever choose to upload it.  That is what it has always done. That is what it does today better than any other site out there. That is what I hope and expect it will continue to do. It should not attempt to raise one torrent up above all others.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rut Roh, Raggy! Elon Musk Appearing Increasingly Wacked Out CaptButler 6 2,399 Jan 08, 2024, 13:03 pm
Last Post: CaptButler
  Out-of-control Tesla kills 2, injures 3 in China Resurgence 0 5,406 Nov 16, 2022, 14:00 pm
Last Post: Resurgence
  American mercenaries captured in Ukraine speak out Resurgence 0 7,336 Jul 03, 2022, 01:15 am
  Israeli arms giant forced out of second UK site, activists say Resurgence 0 5,659 Jun 22, 2022, 01:02 am
  ‘The economy is going to collapse,’ says Wall Street veteran Resurgence 0 5,378 Jun 16, 2022, 02:20 am