I have a question about making ebooks
How does people make the ebooks they Upload do they copy them from the book into a program like Word or do they use a different program
I am still looking for information on this please
Most people use Calibre https://calibre-ebook.com/
(Jan 02, 2019, 12:50 pm)contrail Wrote: Most people use Calibre https://calibre-ebook.com/

Ok but how does that work will getting the book from hardback or paperback to that program
You have to scan it a page or 2 at a time and use OCR software to convert the scanned image to editable text.  There is probably free OCR software online.  Just search for it.  Once you have it converted to text, you can go thru it and correct errors, or if you don't have time to do that, you can just convert it to a book format using Calibre.  Even with errors it should still be readable.
Ok but I don’t have any scanner or anything like that so I thought would be a program you could enter text into that would have chapters and things like that in it
(Jan 03, 2019, 01:47 am)cooltwou Wrote: Ok but I don’t have any scanner or anything like that so I thought would be a program you could enter text into that would have chapters and things like that in it

I don't think it is even worth it as you will get some sore wrists, that being said you can always try looking on amazon and download the .azw3 then use Calibre to strip the DRM and convert it to your desired format (epub).
I guess our friend has many hardcopies he wishes to digitize and make available.

- First step is searching for those titles and check what is currently available, to avoid redundant, unnecessary work.
- Once a list of "to do" is in progress, start digitizing those - By hand or with automated tools, like a microphone and dictating software.
- After a book is ready, upload and move to the next. As this is a time consuming job, keeping the "to do" list is a job in itself - Titles will become available or removed from the public reach along time, and even the book collection may change as our generous librarian pass years doing this work.

This plan requires some thinking; 25,000 books will require roughly 2 millennia if he can handle 1 book per month, around a century if he can do 1 a day. In other words, he can do 360 books/year at optimum rate, 3600 at an awesome rate!
I only have a few books and I have searched online and nobody has them to download and I thought might be a program that would have the chapters in it all you would have to do is load the words into it
Sorry, but I am not sure what you mean by "load the words into it".  There are three ways to get text into a computer.  The simplest is to use a scanner to scan in each page and then use an OCR program to convert it to text.  The 2nd way, which would take quite awhile, would be to type the text into a word processing program.  A third way would be to use a speech to text synthesizer program and then you could read it in out loud.

Putting chapter titles on the chapters would be the least of your problems and would take a fraction of the time inputting tne text would.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  question about Library Genesis Cooltwou76 10 1,757 Feb 24, 2024, 14:37 pm
Last Post: Cooltwou76
  150,000 ebooks wdmagic 2 6,922 Aug 20, 2023, 03:31 am
Last Post: one
  I have a question about sending a ebook cooltwou 1 12,334 Jul 19, 2022, 10:04 am
Last Post: edclear
  Calibre portable 5.44 for ebooks aochoangdo 0 9,772 Jun 23, 2022, 05:22 am
Last Post: aochoangdo
  I have a question websites for finding books cooltwou 3 15,692 Jan 10, 2022, 18:53 pm
Last Post: thealmighty580