How would you feel about naked passwords?
Since I'm on my own computer, I have the cookies that keep me logged in. I also have the password stored in my keychain, so it's automatically entered when I need to log in. If If I ever needed to type my password, it would likely be on a shared device and I would want that hidden. Otherwise, if you're on your own computer, just use the auto login function and have your browser remember your password.
(Nov 08, 2013, 14:45 pm)bob5695 Wrote:
(Nov 06, 2013, 01:13 am)NIK Wrote: [Incidentally, I've looked at ways of giving you a real-time choice, but that's not as simple as you would think.]

not having a choice to display the characters seems better than not having a choice to hide the characters.

^^This - also it ought to be easy to implement with a minimum of javascript dynamically changing the html form- unless the myBB scripts put in some kind of paranoid security measures. But even those can be hunted down and worked around. After all- it's open source and readily available for scrutiny.
It is possible to implement. That's not the question.

The question is whether or not it is worth the effort.

(Nov 06, 2013, 01:13 am)NIK Wrote: I'm not sure I'll change anything but I'm interested to know what you think about it for SuprBay in particular but also for the web in general.

Do you want the option or not?

Personally, I never log out, so I never have to log back in.

I don't always fill in passwords, but when I do, I use a password manager. Stay secure, my friends.
(Nov 26, 2013, 18:41 pm)kjf Wrote: It is possible to implement. That's not the question.

(Nov 06, 2013, 01:13 am)NIK Wrote: I'm not sure I'll change anything but I'm interested to know what you think about it for SuprBay in particular but also for the web in general.

I don't always fill in passwords, but when I do, I use a password manager. Stay secure, my friends.

I run a very strict cookie policy on my browser, so no permanent logins for me. I don't believe in passwords managers either. That being said, I have my own autistic PW system, which KJF might be able to figure out, but hey- I'd trust that guy with my nutsack Tongue

So, for me- being able to see what I type into the password field would be neat for when I'm drunk, and maybe using a mobile device (which I hardly ever use - NSA yall).

But I *do* like it, a lot. And I *do* use it when logging on to wireless networks (I believe most OSs have implemented this feature by now?).

All in all- if it can be implemented as an opt in/out feature- that would be awesome- but hey... I can think of a gazillion other things I'd rather have the dev team working on Tongue
(Nov 26, 2013, 18:41 pm)kjf Wrote: It is possible to implement. That's not the question.

The question you should be, is there a need for encrypting? Is there a chance enough to warrant password encryption past AES?
You answer yes to one of the two, then you really should.
(Nov 26, 2013, 21:40 pm)virusboy Wrote: The question you should be, is there a need for encrypting? Is there a chance enough to warrant password encryption past AES?

That is not remotely relevant to this thread.
(Nov 26, 2013, 22:02 pm)kjf Wrote:
(Nov 26, 2013, 21:40 pm)virusboy Wrote: The question you should be, is there a need for encrypting? Is there a chance enough to warrant password encryption past AES?

That is not remotely relevant to this thread.
Your talking about seeing a password in (password) instead of ********. I originally thought sending password as raw text format, no encryption. In cases of this make it how M$ does it, click a button to view for 1 second. As for how i feel about it, it is fine by me. Suprbay seems to have accounts by smart people, not tools.
The industry standard has been the asteriks since like forever, so I guess I like it. I have it displayed in the file I am copy/pasting from anyway. My password looks like a bunch of giberish anyway.
I'll say NO. Coz, I use TPB from various places like college, home, friends PCs etc. Normally, I use Private browsing so that browsers don't save the password but there may be chances that someone see my password while typing (It's 15+ character long, btw) so, I won't feel very 'enthusiastic' about this.
While it would be nice to type your password once instead of twice when you screw up I would recommend not changing it. Passwords shared between multiple accounts are too common and pose a security risk to other websites as well, not just ours.