How to download books from Open Library / Internet Archive
It should also be noted that anything imported into the Calibre 'library' can be exported (or simply copied from the directories).

One question though. On the sign-up process. Is a real email address needed? I would just as soon use a temp. In other words does anything on Open Library *require* an email beyond registration?
(Apr 11, 2020, 19:23 pm)waregim Wrote: Is a real email address needed? I would just as soon use a temp. In other words does anything on Open Library *require* an email beyond registration?

Any email address will do. As far as I know, it will only be used to notify you of any holds that become available.
thank you very much! Angel
I found this tutorial very helpful and useful and I just got the book I have been wanting for the last 4 days or so. So now I will be returning it since I already have it now. I want to thank you for starting this post.
Any solutions for the new borrow "one hour only" that now limits the number of texts available for viewing in Adobe Digital Editions?

Turns out "one hour only" books can only be used through the archive.org web book reader interface.
The restrictions recently imposed by Internet Archive, presumably as a result of the pending lawsuit, are a tough nut to crack. I haven't figured out a solution yet.
Hello sir.

I downloaded ADE DeDRM

DeDRM is in Zip format.

Please how do I make it work with ADE?
(Oct 12, 2019, 19:39 pm)workerbee Wrote: An increasing number of non-digitized, out of print and hard-to-find books are available as scanned PDFs from Open Library / Internet Archive, both amazing non-profit ventures that are more than deserving of your charitable dollars.  There is a great deal of overlap between the two projects in terms of materials available but not infrequently a title is available on one but not the other. Always check both to be sure.

I get asked a lot how to use these resources so here is a brief review of the steps you should follow to download books

1. Create a free account on either site.

2. Download and install free copies of Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) and, if you don't already have one, a utility to remove DRM protection.  There are lots of such applications; my favorite happens to be De-DRM.

3. "Borrow" the ebook.  The text will open in the online reader.

4. At the top you'll see two options: "Return Book" and "PDF/ePub".  Click on "PDF/ePub" and then choose "Encrypted Adobe PDF".  (The formatting of the ePubs is all-but-unreadable in my opinion.)  The book will automatically download and open in ADE.

5. The file you've borrowed is still DRM-protected and will disappear from ADE, generally after 14-21 days or so, so you need to remove the DRM protection.  Run the de-DRM software.  Point it to the DRM'd book you've just downloaded and it will strip the protection, saving the file to a new folder of your choice.  You now have a copy of the PDF in perpetuity and can edit as you please.

6. You can now "return" the book you borrowed.  Go back to your browser and click on "Return Book".

I hope this helps.  If anyone has further questions, please post in this thread.
Thanks for all your work!
(Sep 26, 2020, 21:49 pm)Dundcmntdnm Wrote: DeDRM is in Zip format.

Please how do I make it work with ADE?

Simply unzip and install DeDRM. It doesn't need any special configuration to work with ADE.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Magazine Download Site or App? horizon155 5 13,338 Mar 18, 2024, 09:22 am
Last Post: tokyorof
  Why do you prefer e-books over physical books? lustrous 7 2,106 Mar 08, 2024, 08:53 am
Last Post: samui
  question about Library Genesis Cooltwou76 10 1,762 Feb 24, 2024, 14:37 pm
Last Post: Cooltwou76
  List of free eBook download sites ehsan baba 94 562,151 Dec 17, 2022, 10:08 am
Last Post: graatch
  How are books being scanned into e-books? RobertX 6 14,898 Jun 10, 2022, 08:47 am
Last Post: nosnavis