How do you shrink the megabit size of homemade videos?
I'm not sure where to post so here goes.

I've been working on some video footage that I shot.  The finished edit is about an hour long and there are no special effects.  Just a handful of cuts.

The problem is that the video is 6 gig using H.265 at 1080p

Is there a way to get the video down to less than 2gigs without losing quality or dropping it down to 720p?

*** Also reducing the frame rate will lower the quality and cause video and sound to go out of sync ***
Hi Ladyanne3,

The problem you are having is really not a problem as this is what the size of the video actually is.  You don't need to use H.265 as you are using 1080p, if you were using 4K resolution then you would need H.265.  Don't believe all that people make out, there's really no reason to use H.265 for 1080p, the people that do this on TPB and put out videos are all doing it wrong.  The correct one you should use is H.264, for example when you rip and encode from 1080p video taken from a Blu Ray it's always done in H.264.  You shouldn't mess with the frame rate as that will mess your video up.

All you need to do is leave everything as it is and if necessary just use compression to reduce the video without losing any quality which is a skill you have to find for yourself.  My whole point is that when you shoot an hour of video and it arrives at 6GB then that's about right no need to change it.  The problem these days with video that gets uploaded like onto TPB most of the people who are doing it have no idea what they are doing and they upload these highly compressed efforts which are pretty crap.  You shouldn't throw away all that lovely data.  I have seen far too many people who upload movies and they compress the hell out of it, it looks terrible and it's because they don't know what they are doing.  There's not that many people who do know what they are doing it's a shame.

It entirely depends on what you want to do with it, if you want to upload to youtube then youtube will compress it for you automatically.  Remember that when you take video from Blu Ray and you rip HD the size is pretty massive and that's how it should look.  I just don't understand why there's so many guys on TPB who compress the hell out of everything it looks shockingly bad and I don't understand why people would want to download that anyway.

The program that you need to use is Handbrake.  Just google it, but you may need to do a few experiments with the compression, just have a play around for a while and do some tests until you can find a level of compression that works for you.  It can take time to find your own good settings.  If you find a good setting then write it down and keep a record of what you've done on paper.  This is what I did when I started out years ago.  Just make sure you write it all down and make notes of your settings until you get the right amount of compression but just please don't use H.265 as that is wrong, only novice people use H.265 that have no idea what they are doing...
(Mar 08, 2022, 18:08 pm)RodneyYouPlonker Wrote: It entirely depends on what you want to do with it, if you want to upload to youtube then youtube will compress it for you automatically.  Remember that when you take video from Blu Ray and you rip HD the size is pretty massive and that's how it should look.  I just don't understand why there's so many guys on TPB who compress the hell out of everything it looks shockingly bad and I don't understand why people would want to download that anyway.

The program that you need to use is Handbrake.  Just google it, but you may need to do a few experiments with the compression, just have a play around for a while and do some tests until you can find a level of compression that works for you.  It can take time to find your own good settings.  If you find a good setting then write it down and keep a record of what you've done on paper.  This is what I did when I started out years ago.  Just make sure you write it all down and make notes of your settings until you get the right amount of compression but just please don't use H.265 as that is wrong, only novice people use H.265 that have no idea what they are doing...

That's the problem is that I want to use it on site that I'm building.   When a family member goes to watch the video it's going to eat up a lot of bandwidth.
(Mar 08, 2022, 19:53 pm)Ladyanne3 Wrote: That's the problem is that I want to use it on site that I'm building.   When a family member goes to watch the video it's going to eat up a lot of bandwidth.

Why can't you just get a youtube channel and post the video that way and then when you want it on your site just link it from youtube over to your webpage the same as you would do here and just set the BBCode or whatever you do html over and on the page so it will play it but it will store all the data over on youtube where they have masses of server space?
(Mar 08, 2022, 19:57 pm)RodneyYouPlonker Wrote: Why can't you just get a youtube channel and post the video

I just kind of want to be independent and only have the people that are important to me be able to see the videos that I make.

Besides youtube and the rest of big tech are evil.

I'm always warning people how stupid I am because being honest is easier.
But even with my brain damage I still know the difference between good and bad.
So it's ok to steal from youtube but it's not ok to give them anything that they might make money from.
(Mar 09, 2022, 08:44 am)Ladyanne3 Wrote:
(Mar 08, 2022, 19:57 pm)RodneyYouPlonker Wrote: Why can't you just get a youtube channel and post the video

I just kind of want to be independent and only have the people that are important to me be able to see the videos that I make.

I'm always warning people how stupid  I am because being honest is easier. 
So it's ok to steal from youtube but it's not ok to give them anything that they might make money from.

The only reason why I suggested hosting on YT is because it's easy and it's cheap.  You can save yourself a lot of money simply by using them to host it.  I know what you mean about Google being an evil tech you are right they are.  Sadly if you wanted to host in your own fashion it's going to cost you a lot of money.  If you're prepared to go down that route then expect to pay lots of hosting bills.  It depends on how important your site is and what it's based on as I have no idea.  With YT there must be billions of videos on there and it's not always that often they get massive amounts of views unless you're a regular and you earn a living from it (which takes massive amounts of work and expense).  I would suggest the YT route myself but also I would say it's best to disable comments and then that way people can't say anything that you don't agree with.  I would say that whether on your own personal site or on YT it's all still available in a public manner so what does it really matter anyway?  I know that YT is often open to lots of issues and problems people might find but at least you won't end up spending a fortune.
(Mar 09, 2022, 10:29 am)RodneyYouPlonker Wrote:
(Mar 09, 2022, 08:44 am)Ladyanne3 Wrote:

I'm always warning people how stupid  I am because being honest is easier. 

The only reason why I suggested hosting on YT is because it's easy and it's cheap.  You can save yourself a lot of money simply by using them to host it.  I know what you mean about Google being an evil tech you are right they are.  Sadly if you wanted to host in your own fashion it's going to cost you a lot of money.  If you're prepared to go down that route then expect to pay lots of hosting bills.  It depends on how important your site is and what it's based on as I have no idea.  With YT there must be billions of videos on there and it's not always that often they get massive amounts of views unless you're a regular and you earn a living from it (which takes massive amounts of work and expense).  I would suggest the YT route myself but also I would say it's best to disable comments and then that way people can't say anything that you don't agree with.  I would say that whether on your own personal site or on YT it's all still available in a public manner so what does it really matter anyway?  I know that YT is often open to lots of issues and problems people might find but at least you won't end up spending a fortune.

I'm going to do this without youtube.
If you want to host videos, this might be a good plan: https://www.plex.tv

Some more information (and perhaps information about alternatives to Plex): https://web.dev/media/

About video compression, what RodneyYouPlonker said.
Ladyanne3 Wrote:I've been working on some video footage that I shot. The finished edit is about an hour long and there are no special effects. Just a handful of cuts.

With no intention of resurrecting an old thread, I'm surprised it's that huge. H.265 in fact offers better compression than previous H.264, it's the reason it went out in the first place. I'm suspecting there's something wrong with the way you resample the videos (bitrate, fps, etc).

Consider giving MKV packing a try.

(Mar 08, 2022, 19:53 pm)Ladyanne3 Wrote: That's the problem is that I want to use it on site that I'm building.   When a family member goes to watch the video it's going to eat up a lot of bandwidth.

Use a CDN.
(Mar 10, 2022, 00:20 am)RobertX Wrote: If you want to host videos, this might be a good plan: https://www.plex.tv

Some more information (and perhaps information about alternatives to Plex): https://web.dev/media/

About video compression, what RodneyYouPlonker said.
I'll look into plex thanks you

(Mar 10, 2022, 11:15 am)maskaw Wrote:
Ladyanne3 Wrote:I've been working on some video footage that I shot.  The finished edit is about an hour long and there are no special effects.  Just a handful of cuts.

With no intention of resurrecting an old thread, I'm surprised it's that huge. H.265 in fact offers better compression than previous H.264, it's the reason it went out in the first place. I'm suspecting there's something wrong with the way you resample the videos (bitrate, fps, etc).

Consider giving MKV packing a try.

Use a CDN.

What is a CDN?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Viewing Odysee videos that are DMCA blocked Matthew 0 1,986 Nov 15, 2023, 01:25 am
Last Post: Matthew
  Need Help downloading videos from radiopedia.org Pirate_Sam 4 8,497 Aug 31, 2022, 13:33 pm
Last Post: Pirate_Sam
  Is there a way to pirate Amazon Prime videos Ladyanne3 2 8,058 Aug 30, 2022, 05:07 am
Last Post: Slow Mo
  Searching for videos that may not even exist as torrents animalia5 11 16,082 Jun 08, 2022, 14:07 pm
Last Post: animalia5
  Deleting all information from pics and videos Ladyanne3 0 7,928 May 13, 2022, 22:16 pm
Last Post: Ladyanne3