Hints on external 4-6-8 TB USB drives?
You probably need to find a "US edition" of the drive. It will probaly be another serial number for the drive in the US. 

Anyway, good luck with your drive search..
Thanks, Von. Here when we want something US/EU the way is to fly there, or contact a "mule".
Good mules are expensive, but can bring an entire house. Family, snow, and tv channels available uppon request. Smile
Sometimes a sites like Newegg or even Ebay will frequently have really good deals.

I would recommend an 8 TB Western Digital external drive. WD drives have proven to be reliable for me as long as you don't drop them. Tongue
(Apr 23, 2018, 23:54 pm)dueda Wrote: Thanks, Von. Here when we want something US/EU the way is to fly there, or contact a "mule".
Good mules are expensive, but can bring an entire house. Family, snow, and tv channels available uppon request. Smile

OK, you live on an island? What's you're country then?

(Apr 24, 2018, 03:46 am)AncientRome Wrote: Sometimes a sites like Newegg or even Ebay will frequently have really good deals.

I would recommend an 8 TB Western Digital external drive. WD drives have proven to be reliable for me as long as you don't drop them. Tongue

Yeah, in my end of the world the WD Element 8GB external drive is the best value for money GB/TB amount/money wize at the moment, but it's too much for my wallet next month to buy an 8TB, so I'll have to go with the 4GB.
I live in Brazil, parcel inspection takes months, while your purchases will be stacked in crappy wharehouses, to be stolen by the employees; then comes the import tax wich is to be 25% but they charge 60% comercial tax without legal grounds - if you're Lucky, or 400% if not.

So I could buy a WD blue/red for around $350-400, and add an usb enclosure; that's out of my budget. WD Purples go for $190, but those are CCTV drives.
Decided to try one of those external Seagates with power supply; also got me a 120GB Sandisk SSD. Should they work fine, I'll be good.

Again, thanks for valuable tips.
Ok, just to tell, my mail arrived.

Seagate Expansion 4TB Model SRD0NF2 Part/N 1TFAP3-500 - made in Thayland, assembled in Chine, 2018.
Carton says STEB4000100 but another Part/N# 1TFAN3-570 and also serial number doesn't match the one in the drive case...
Plastic on case seems like local cheap, obsolete thermal sealing solutions. But here it's normal to get them in bulk then package in copycat cartons.

SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB model SDSSDA-120G-G27, drive body is a weak, brittle-like plastic feeling recycled material.

Not much of a promising start. Will install and check all.
SSD's are naturally light and usually do not produce heat.
I was also surprised by the light weight of SSD's today, when my first one from 6 years ago was so heavy in comparison.

External drive cases are supposed to be easy to take apart in case you want to convert them to internal PC drives.

I hope things turn out well. Smile
Thanks, it is all working pretty well at first glance.
Just I'm clumsy and broke my old external enclosure while swapping drives for test... Now I need a new enclosure!

In the mean time, I can just run the OS from a USB stick and keep my former external, now to-be-internal HDD, transferring files. Oh well...

Update: All is well in Redmond... Windows 7 has a limit on USB devices; my notebook has a camera, a touchpad, a SD-card reader and I guess one more thing stuffed inside, so when I change 4 external drives, 2 mobile phones, 2 flash sticks... it just do weird things, like forgetting a device to accept a new one or just refuses to enable it.

To solve it, just got USD Deviewer - No need to use creepy registry hacks or the (so said) dangerous USB Oblivion.
Only hint for multi-dongle wannabes: Think ahead and prepare; familiarize with Computer management -> Disk drives, and DiskPart (partition tools).
You'll need them to change drive letters. Can use MiniTool or EaseUs to avoid costly mistakes, they're simple to use.

Now a couple days to move my stuff into the new drive...
Thanks all!
Since we're offering up hints, I'll leave one that's a bit unrelated. If you ever decide to upgrade to Windows 10 (free upgrade still works on legit installations), unplug all drives except your Windows installation drive. The Windows 10 upgrade likes to fuck up your partion table on secondary drives.

That tip is more of a rant for me. It took me two weeks to recover my irreplaceable files. This thread just reminded me of that.
(Apr 26, 2018, 20:43 pm)jerrysmatrix Wrote: To upgrade to Windows 10, unplug all drives except your Windows installation drive. The upgrade fuck up your partition table on secondary drives.

Good to know that, it's a real pain to get crashed in-between the transfer; unless you have a second PC, it's all the way back to the dark pre-digital era.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  usb soundcard or pci soundcard, wich one is better? theSEMAR 4 10,549 Mar 02, 2024, 04:48 am
Last Post: Fraggi
  How to connect HDDs to USB? Tellurian 9 32,867 Sep 27, 2021, 22:39 pm
Last Post: Tellurian
  USB stick wiped/trashed trying to install TAILS allanfromscottishpower 11 33,695 Jun 11, 2020, 04:34 am
Last Post: allanfromscottishpower
  Hard drives waregim 10 38,575 Jan 31, 2019, 18:39 pm
Last Post: waregim
  I have a problem with External Hard Drive cooltwou 15 40,644 Apr 02, 2018, 07:26 am
Last Post: Sid