Hardware for 3d softwares
Siko, seems your are in offensive mode... (that's for Sid about the supposedly tame Katers).
Ok so I am the local Gates, and my time is more important than my money ! I should have bought two Titans... Blush
I tend to prefer large and complex scenes, and thinking about the creation of the scene (and the story going with in my case) should take the most part of my available time, not trying to find perpetual fixing/bypasses of an unperfect program. Yes, you are right you can rework the shaders, lower some texture resolution and so on. But I will do that only if I absolutely need it, and this time will come later with 12GB. I have no financial interest in selling Titan X, and my remark was only for those who are  Iray beginners, they do not have generally the knowledge needed for fine tuning and they will be disappointed (Daz forums are rather unhelpful in these matters).
About torrenting, I do not understand your attack, money is not the only drive in torrenting. Seems I am not a real pirate as you are ! Cool
It wasn't an attack, nor was an an aggressive post. It was simply pointing out that I consider it a waste, and giving a few reasons why. Choosing ignorance is anybody's choice, but that does not require me to feel it is a positive one. Likewise, choosing to forego gaining that knowledge is not addressing the underlying problem of when to start learning it. 
Last I checked, pointing out that it seems silly to me to torrent things far cheaper than one or more Titan X(s) is simply stating my opinion, much as you just did in response. Each merchant site has a pretty robust and comprehensive refund system, so 'try before you buy' is a self-serving premise, and the nla items are excessively few and far between, which leaves saving money as the only logical reason to torrent, aside from sheer love of torrenting, in my opinion. None of this qualifies as an attack either, as I am simply sharing information and my opinion based on that information. If you would like to enhance the information I have, by all means, please do so. Stating nothing other than 'there are more reasons' is needlessly vague in that regard, so all I get out of your post is something along the lines of 'I have money to throw at hardware, and don't like to waste time, but for some unexplained reason, I can wait for a torrent of something I could purchase faster. Don't attack me by pointing out an alternative.' I highly doubt that is your intent, but that's all I perceive from your post without having to assume a great deal, which usually leads to misunderstandings on its own. I seem to recall having some good discussions with you previously, and truly hope you will help me understand your actual intent better. I like information, truly, and if you have some you think I'm missing, please don't hold out on it. It could very well be a positive catalyst for myself or a future thread visitor.

Yes, this is exactly what Sid was refering to, and I'm glad you mentioned it. My opinion and yours differ, that doesn't mean your view is any less important than mine, and you are free to state and defend it, but not by saying my differing opinion is an attack of some sort. I would have to feel a personal investment in something to attack it (in this case, willful ignorance being the only idea I sort of argued against), I just pointed out an alternative for those not willing or able to spend gobs of money chasing hardware as I see it from my pont of view. You know, like people who may read this thread in the future, since, like you said, Daz's own forums are sadly lacking on any real information regarding this stuff. If that offended you personally for some reason (which I'm relatively sure is required for something to be considered an attack), I can't imagine why.
First off, thanks for all the opinions.... some add info, that "may" make a difference. Original post was made when I lacked time.

I currently have 2 980GTX's in my rig.
I have a warranty on both and one is due to expire in Oct, so that one needs to be traded in.
My options in my mind.
1) Trade in 1 for a 1080 now, then next year when the other is due, trade in the other one and have 2 1080's
2) Trade in both now and "lose" the extra time on the 2nd card and..
2A) get 2 1080's now
2B) get 1 Titan X now

Also, I am mostly doing gaming with poser/daz a secondary hobby, but I do get urges to mess with them in spurts. I do not have, nor am I looking to get a 4k monitor or anything. I have 2 23" monitors right now and would rather put the money into the video cards.

Also, although I have been using Poser and Daz for more than a decade (Poser first, then Daz when it came out), I have never bothered to deal too much with the advanced tweaking and such. I treat them like a point and shoot camera for the most part. It's one of the reasons I was an early adopter for Reality... It didn't take much work at all to end up with really good renders (in my opinion) for a lot of things.
I really want to just add figures, set a scene and render, but I do sometimes like high resolution renders.. I have done posters for people in the past that went over really well..

Also, on topic... What does everyone mean by "the new cards don't work"? I won't be able to use Poser/Daz anymore if I upgrade?
Iray doesn't work with the new CUDA structure yet. Nothing outside of gaming does at the moment, if I recall. Given the updated scenario, I would probably opt for option 1. You could play games with the new card until Iray, etc. utilize it, then add the second card after its all properly working and such, and still use the other 980 until then.
When you say doesn't work, do you mean at all? Does it apply to something like Reality as well since it doesn't use iray? Has anyone seen a confirmation that the fix is being actively worked on or is it something they are looking to in the future?
(Sep 10, 2016, 09:51 am)sikotikxiii Wrote: It wasn't an attack, nor was an an aggressive post. It was simply pointing out that I consider it a waste, and giving a few reasons why. Choosing ignorance is anybody's choice, but that does not require me to feel it is a positive one. Likewise, choosing to forego gaining that knowledge is not addressing the underlying problem of when to start learning it. 
Last I checked, pointing out that it seems silly to me to torrent things far cheaper than one or more Titan X(s) is simply stating my opinion, much as you just did in response. Each merchant site has a pretty robust and comprehensive refund system, so 'try before you buy' is a self-serving premise, and the nla items are excessively few and far between, which leaves saving money as the only logical reason to torrent, aside from sheer love of torrenting, in my opinion. None of this qualifies as an attack either, as I am simply sharing information and my opinion based on that information. If you would like to enhance the information I have, by all means, please do so. Stating nothing other than 'there are more reasons' is needlessly vague in that regard, so all I get out of your post is something along the lines of 'I have money to throw at hardware, and don't like to waste time, but for some unexplained reason, I can wait for a torrent of something I could purchase faster. Don't attack me by pointing out an alternative.' I highly doubt that is your intent, but that's all I perceive from your post without having to assume a great deal, which usually leads to misunderstandings on its own. I seem to recall having some good discussions with you previously, and truly hope you will help me understand your actual intent better. I like information, truly, and if you have some you think I'm missing, please don't hold out on it. It could very well be a positive catalyst for myself or a future thread visitor.

I will try to enlighten you.

The torrent world by itself, for a good proportion of its users, is not only a capacity to save money. It's a act of protest about :
  • Those who make far too much money for their product (movies, videogames, and more generally all blockbusters),
  • Those who want to make much money illegitimately (some of the stuff on Daz3d like poses for the best example ; but on the contrary, IMO, Genesis 3 developpers deserve to be well paid for what they have done).
Torrent enthusiasts are generally people who share the product of their work freely. They are members of the open source community, or at least they support it. They often work for themself, and share for the common interest, not for money. They are generous, and would like others to be as well. They don't particularly like the capitalism, because they don't like to treat with money (for them or for others).

But actually, even for them, the best way to share their own stuff is to sell it. They determine a price based on the quality of their product on the market, and they hope that it will be shared on torrent sites. It would be a sign of success : only count the number of users. Anyway, they have in mind that a lot of people who download by torrents would not be willing to pay for that. Indeed, several studies have shown that movie producers would gain only a tiny proportion of extra money if the torrent world did not exist. Personnaly, I would not have been here to work and share my creations realized with daz3d if I had not been able to get most of the products for free.

However, I'm willing to pay $400 for a graphics card. I buy the software I use very often or who are very useful to me, the movies I love after watching them, etc. When I buy something I can have for free, I feel like I make a donation. And I love it, so I do it often.
Just as an FYI as it may be useful info on my situation..

I am NOT going to be getting either new card at full price...
Several years ago (more than 10 actually) I saved up money to buy a high end $600 video card About 2 years ago, I saved up enough to get a 2nd one..
I bought both at Microcenter, a local PC supply chain.
When I bought the first one, I was told that if I got the warranty, I could trade in my card right before the warranty expired for full store credit. I was skeptical, but it was only an extra $75 at the time. 
Well, it turns out it works and I have re-confirmed it every time I did so and this resulted in me being able to upgrade every 2 years for practically nothing... I have had regular employees and managers tell me the same thiing over and over so I keep doing it. I just wait until the warranty is almost up, pull my card, go to the store tell them I need to replace it and they give me the full purchase price of my card.. I only need to pay the difference, if any, and purchase a new warranty which is up to about $110 now, but still Paying $110 for a 1080GTX is a steal. Thats why I have the option of the 2 1080's or one Titan. 1 card expires in Oct, the other, sometime in the middle of next year. If I go with the Titan by trading in both, I "lose" the extra time for 2nd 980, but even still not a bad deal.
Great deal, I didn't know that ! It's like renting a graphic card.

How long is the warranty ?
The one I have is a 1 year extended meaning it covers me for the 2nd year after purchase. I usually just setup a calendar reminder in outlook about a month or so out.
@Trety: I'm unsure, as I don't actually own any of the Pascal cards, perhaps someone who does could offer more clarity, but from what I've read around, it's that with whatever change to the CUDA version, none of the GPU renderers can utilize it for rendering at the moment. All are actively working on updating to it, no doubt, but in the meantime, it would only be useful for running your display (freeing up the other card in the option 1 scenario above to do nothing but render until the compatibility issue is fixed), and gaming, as you mentioned. Again, an actual user could probably offer better insight than my second-hand information, but that seems the general idea of what I've read various places.

@_Xav_: Thanks! I can't say I necessarily understand the idea behind bullet two, as someone has to buy it to share it, and that promotes the idea of it's okay to overcharge for something pretty much anyone could whip up in a few minutes on their own. Someone could just whip them up and share that for free, which seems to my mind to be better aligned with the intent. I take the rest of it as being mostly in general, if that isn't the intent, please correct me. My point was solely dealing with Daz/Poser content, not mass media, which I totally understand the point of with inflated costs and such, though arguably it's a circular logic of 'Movies cost a ton to make or they are rated crappy->Prices rise (not always proportionately)->Masses complain costs are too high while still shunning movies that don't use a large budget to look cool->Movies cost a ton of money to look cool->etc.' Same goes for AAA games, and most other mass media to a certain degree, but I understand the idea of prices rising out of their intended market's means in those cases. It's just a screwed up business model in general, and technically as against the idea of proper capitalism as the pirates they hate, as proper capitalism requires finding a way to make the product meets the needs of the intended market, including cost. I'm not pro- or anti-capitalism, but I learned enough to understand that a lot of the issue is that the current capitalism is not the way it was intended/supposed to be in the first place. Human error and whatnot, but that part is understandable to me. Thanks again for an alternate perspective I can look into further.