H.265/HEVC/x265
Any of you guys tried any of these downloads?

I only heard about this [relatively] new codec recently: same quality as h264 in files half the size, apparently.

Bullshit

Or so I thought until I tried a couple.

I'm now stunned.

Hardware support is non-existant afaik, but VLC plays them on a HD computer monitor.

Worth checking out though, this thing has legs.
yeap.
next generation of codecs generally improves movies quality, that's the way to go.
But half size in files is awesome
I too love this x265 It gives high quality in less size and that's right It's next generation codec
Why most movie uploaders still use x264 ? i think they can use this new Codec and upload high quality movies in small size !
Are you serious?

H.264 was standardised in 2003 but not formally adopted by mainstream encoders until 2012--9 years later. H.265 was only standardised last year. It will dominate in time, but not for several years at least.

- there is little if any hardware support for x265 yet. What would be the point of uploading movies most people wouldn't be able to play?
- Hardly anyone would download them anyway. The overwhelming majority of people haven't even heard of x265 and people don't download what they're not familiar with.
- It takes a lot more computing power to encode using x265
- There is a learning curve for encoders--if they've mastered x264 why (particularly given the points above) would they want to start again as a nOOb at x265?
(Nov 09, 2014, 16:46 pm)NIK Wrote: Are you serious?

H.264 was standardised in 2003 but not formally adopted by mainstream encoders until 2012--9 years later. H.265 was only standardised last year. It will dominate in time, but not for several years at least.

- there is little if any hardware support for x265 yet. What would be the point of uploading movies most people wouldn't be able to play?
- Hardly anyone would download them anyway. The overwhelming majority of people haven't even heard of x265 and people don't download what they're not familiar with.
- It takes a lot more computing power to encode using x265
- There is a learning curve for encoders--if they've mastered x264 why (particularly given the points above) would they want to start again as a nOOb at x265?

Check out https://thepiratebay.se/user/Dr.XJ/
He/she seems to know what they are doing. Some shows at 720 are only 65MB or so, and I've compared them with their 300-500 counter parts and usually I can't tell the difference or the x265 looks a little better.
As for the encode time, yes way more processor intensive. I wouldn't image speedy adoption until there is mobile hardware support. Right now getting x265 to play well on Android is a pain, but MX Player seems to handle it okay, but not great.
I wouldn't be surprised if streaming services adopt this fully first for the lower bandwidth.
(Nov 09, 2014, 16:46 pm)NIK Wrote: - there is little if any hardware support for x265 yet. What would be the point of uploading movies most people wouldn't be able to play?

I thought most of the people in the scene didn't actually like P2P communities. I thought their goal was just to show off their skills to each other or whatever. If that is the case, it seems like using this new codec would accomplish showing off and avoiding P2P releases.

PS: My PS3 still doesn't play .mkv and now there is a new codec that won't be supported for years. ;_;
(Nov 23, 2014, 01:18 am)Devin Wrote:
(Nov 09, 2014, 16:46 pm)NIK Wrote: - there is little if any hardware support for x265 yet. What would be the point of uploading movies most people wouldn't be able to play?

I thought most of the people in the scene didn't actually like P2P communities. I thought their goal was just to show off their skills to each other or whatever. If that is the case, it seems like using this new codec would accomplish showing off and avoiding P2P releases.

PS: My PS3 still doesn't play .mkv and now there is a new codec that won't be supported for years. ;_;

That sucks, I use a Sony BluRay player (years old) I haven't tried h265 on it, but it plays mkvs, supports almost all audio formats as well, and takes FAT32 or NTFS formatted flash drives and HDs.
(Nov 23, 2014, 01:18 am)Devin Wrote: I thought their goal was just to show off their skills to each other or whatever.

Using a superior tool doesn't show superior skill. [If anything, it shows the reverse.]

But that is irrelevant because that isn't their goal--their goal is to be fastest to deliver according to a strict commonly agreed specification. The extra time the encoding would take would reduce their chances of delivering first, and even if they managed it the use of a non-standard codec would mean their release would be "nuked" ie. counted against them rather than for them.

(Nov 23, 2014, 01:18 am)Devin Wrote: PS: My PS3 still doesn't play .mkv and now there is a new codec that won't be supported for years. ;_;

That is precisely why the new codec won't be embraced for years. Sure, a few enthusiasts will release a handful of movies, but the "big guys" won't touch it until there is widespread hardware support.
Oh I see. Thanks for clarifying

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HEVC/H265 Encoding RobertX 27 27,533 Jun 12, 2020, 18:48 pm
Last Post: Moe
  [split] Difference between x265 AAc and the 2CH audio piano0011 6 17,419 Feb 27, 2017, 06:04 am
Last Post: joew771