Guns & Democracy
News in Brazil for this year elections: Local gun maker Taurus papers are up 326% - good for the struggling company.
While Taurus is vetoed by foreign countries due it's infamous quality, it's the only choice for local buyers and investors, hence the converging to a rotten brand.

A first time on such a rise, but no news on other countries; wherever gun trade is free, usually shares go up as politics go down. Just happened in the USA, and while they have much bigger market, traditional firearms industry dwindles. Just in USA less legal blocks let import deals and new local companies to fly.

While on most of the Old World guns are like pollution or even polio, in the New World they sound like politically connected, both by the interest conflict between gun making and legislature, but also the people seems to associate democracy with the power to kill and destroy, especially when divergence rises. 

Taking personal protection out of equation, I see three levels of social-related gun ideology:
1. The means to protect property, like a home or business;
2. The means to protect freedoms, including opinions;
3. The means to impose over others.

The first two are basic needs, survival and liberty, and in an ideal society the state provides protection so private guns aren't needed.
But the third one intrigues me.

WHY would one want to impose their reasons? For greed, luxury, ego? I can understand the bullies' main diet, they need those as an addict needs drugs. They're sick, unreasonable people.

BUT what about the common Joes men of the peoples? Why would people be so biased, polarized around this or that political party / faction, if reason and history shows us they're just parts of a vice system and individuals can't live in community much less gather on arms to do some common good by sacrifice? Do these people really think they will achieve something against the collective, even protect their rights (alleged or imagined) with a few guns?

I was a believer that citizens could resist and even overcome bad institutions, but individuals lack the nature and discipline to do so. Very few are prepared from childhood to be strong and selfless, fewer are willing to do it and then have to live by the lazy coward ignorant fools (by comparison) that did not - I suppose. No way the Joes will organize a proper popular army or even militia; good-bye The 2nd.

Still, weapons seem to be a logical, or at least, natural choice for people when discussion and digression comes by. And crime, as in piracy. Humans tend to do by force or subterfuge what they want and even some destructive/disruptive acts out of "challenge".

Are soft pirates the gun-less rebels, and if so, what good does it bring? Compare to the Somali pirates, raiding vessels with real guns because their poor and screwed country don't offer many options; of course some are just mobsters, but life isn't all black and white.

Should we leave the torrents, the guns, or both? Then do what? Sit and let the bullying go down hard on us?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  US democracy is for the few: China MFA spokesman Zhao Lijian Resurgence 0 7,003 Jul 03, 2022, 01:25 am
Last Post: Resurgence
  ‘Beacon of democracy’ Kiev regime’s practice of kidnapping spirals out of control Resurgence 0 5,054 Jun 07, 2022, 23:54 pm
  UK anti-BDS bill threatens democracy and gives Israel a free pass Resurgence 0 4,374 May 16, 2022, 23:37 pm
  Mothers, guns, politics. dueda 0 9,232 Oct 25, 2018, 12:31 pm
Last Post: dueda